U Wash, U Minn, UCSD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which Program is best for MSTP with focus in Neurosci?

• University of Washington, Seattle

Votes: 17 53.1%
  • University of Minnesota, Twin Cities

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • University of California, San Diego (Waitlist)

Votes: 11 34.4%

• Total voters

nscs

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My interest is neuroscience, specifically neuro-regeneration. U Minn's dept is a dept and is growing: new buildings and new faculty, though whether I'll be able to reap from that I don't know. U Wash is well-established, but has an interdisciplinary neuro program, not a dept, though there are many faculty working there in that area. UCSD has the most faculty working on my specific area of interest, some of whom I've worked for the others of who I've met, but they have me on the waitlist (I'm still an undergrad there...could that have something to do with it?). Also, should I be accepted into UCSD what's the advice on moving somewhere new and getting a "new perspective on how a different institution does science" as I've been told. Also, I don't know if I'll be accepted in the Midwest culture, one of the people I interviewed there told me about "the Minnesota Nice", how they'll be nice to me but won't really accept me. Whereas at U Wash the offer comes with open arms.

Sorry for all the scattered thoughts but I've hit a roadblock and I would really appreciate some input from those who know!

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

nscs said:
but they have me on the waitlist (I'm still an undergrad there...could that have something to do with it?).

Wow, I thought otherwise. I was accepted at Harvard, WashU and UW, and waitlisted at UCSD. I though that since I am not a CA resident, that somehow affected my chances. Since you were accepted to other great places, maybe they thought you were going there and thus would have rejected them??? :confused: That doesn't makes sense either...

If I had those choices, I would go to UW. I still feel guilty for not accepting their offer, they offer one of the best medical education(#1 US News SOM-Healthcare for 10 yrs, whatever that means) in the country, great research resources (don't know in your are, though) and Seattle seems like a really cool city. :thumbup:

nscs said:
Also, I don't know if I'll be accepted in the Midwest culture, one of the people I interviewed there told me about "the Minnesota Nice", how they'll be nice to me but won't really accept me. Whereas at U Wash the offer comes with open arms.

I suspect that "the Minnesota Nice" was your interviewer's problem more than anything. I have lived in the Twin Cities, and the nice is about as legitimate as it comes. Don't worry about being accepted; it's not like all the people in the program are from the Midwest anyway. Your biggest adjustment will be buying a parka.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you know 150% that you want to do neuro then UCSD..if you are open to other areas then UW no question.

i think ucsd (like all california schools) has a large volume of california applicants and/or "inbred" applicants from its undergraduate affiliate. in addition to the inherent randomness of the application process, it simply means that adcoms may choose not to admit an entire class of the same "type" of people (e.g. neurosci-focus applicants from ucsd). don't take it as a personal sleight.

but here's a biased vote for ucsd. as you know, it's pretty well endowed in the neurosci field.

UW -- We Rule. You won't go wrong at SD either.

I think I was leaning towards it all along :) but after a rather discouraging talk with those in power of the waitlist :confused: , I don't think UCSD would've worked out anyway. It's hard to leave home, but as I've noticed as an undergrad, UCSD might be a better place to do a post-doc than be a grad student for me especially after having tried out some place new. Besides, it's good to go somewhere new as they say and at least I'm moving somewhere where I felt great from the beginning (When I first got off the plane during my first visit in Seattle I literally felt something ... but I tried to ignore it and be objective ... which I hope I was).

I'm glad this whole process is over....sigh of relief=2 seconds...worrying about summer rotation begins....now! :p