U Wash vs. Drew/UCLA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tipukhan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:confused:

I'm big on the philosophy of underserved care so I'm juggling the decision between UWash w/c is huge on primary care and underserved care and Drew which we know is all underserved. I know the issues at Drew, but know that they're really superficial in the long run. I'm from LA so I kinda want to do the Drew thing (close to family, cheap, nice weather, get to keep my motorcycle), but at the same time I loved UDub which is offering a MPH which would help in my future endevours in underserved care. I know I'll eventually end back up in southern cali since I was raised there, but deciding where I'll be these next few years is really hard for me to do - does the security of being close to home outweigh the opportunity to travel to a great city for med school?. Also, I heard that matching residencies coming from Udub into cali shouldn't be that bad. Ok, end of my essay!! any input would help cuz i'm very very lost right now!
thanks.
peace.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by tipukhan
:confused:

I'm big on the philosophy of underserved care so I'm juggling the decision between UWash w/c is huge on primary care and underserved care and Drew which we know is all underserved. I know the issues at Drew, but know that they're really superficial in the long run. I'm from LA so I kinda want to do the Drew thing (close to family, cheap, nice weather, get to keep my motorcycle), but at the same time I loved UDub which is offering a MPH which would help in my future endevours in underserved care. I know I'll eventually end back up in southern cali since I was raised there, but deciding where I'll be these next few years is really hard for me to do - does the security of being close to home outweigh the opportunity to travel to a great city for med school?. Also, I heard that matching residencies coming from Udub into cali shouldn't be that bad. Ok, end of my essay!! any input would help cuz i'm very very lost right now!
thanks.
peace.

stay in cali, so i can come and visit you
:D

No decision here... Obviously UW.

You have an obligation to get the best medical education you can, which means UW. Any training you do at Drew will be crippled given the loss of key residencies at this hospital. Being in med school in LA and following the problems at Drew I would say their problems are far from "superficial". UW will open doors, Drew will make people question your training... I will probably get flamed for this statement, but be forewarned of the bias that exists.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks harpreet for the informative input.

and thanks redblanket, i appreciate the input. it's just that I'm hesitant about leaving LA and being far from home. it's just a decision I'm hating I may have to make. Thanks again for the input!!

thanks harpreet for the informative input.

and thanks redblanket, i appreciate the input. it's just that I'm hesitant about leaving LA and being far from home. it's just a decision I'm hating I may have to make. Thanks again for the input!!

Man...u ain't gotta be putting my real name on SDN..hahahahah.....there are stalkers out there...:scared: :scared:

-Harps

Did you get in drew?

I'm having a similar debate i.e. drew vs. CWRU

ha ha ..... if the stalker is a female, i doubt you would mind.. . :hardy:

Tipu,
Dude, you should post in the Allopathic forum and ask med. students what they think about your situation. You will get better informed replies. Peace

-Harps

exmike: haven't gotten in yet, just interviewed 3 weeks ago, but interview went well so i'm praying i get in. so i guess if i don't, the decision won't be a decision and make my life a lot easier. but i just wanted to start debating my options to myself right now so i don't make a last minute decision.

With all the WWAMI clinical rotation spots, there are plenty of opportunities to learn about caring the underserved. Also, you'd be surprised how much you will learn about effectively serving innercity underserved at Harborview. It is one of the few, and possibly the only, county hospital in the U.S. that operates in the black (meaning they stay within their budgetary means). Harborview also is an outstanding place to work according to my bf who is an intern in IM at the UW.

Of course I would love to have another spot open to increase my chances of getting off the competitive list, but in good conscience, I have to say UDub for you.

The only good reason to choose otherwise is for personal ones like staying close to family, loving L.A., etc. Those are very important things and probably make this an even thougher choice.

Good luck!!!
Laurie

harps man, you used my name come on!! ;) but that's a good idea, i'm gonna do that. by the way, we're going to see the 9:45 pm showing of passion, if you want to roll, it's on f st.

ha ha ..... if the stalker is a female, i doubt you would mind.. . :hardy:

Why don't you just go back to studying cellular physio..huh? Wasting time on these boards...shame on you....shame on you. :p

BTW we should get together to study!

-Harps

thanks laurie, good luck to you on getting off the list!!
harps: yes, we should study, come watch the movie.

I definately vote for UDub. It might be more expensive, but I really doubt the problems at Keng/Drew are going to go away soon and I really wouldn't be surprised if Drew doesn't exist next year.

I love UW. In fact, I'm going there next year, so if you should decide to go to UW, I'd see you in my classes.

But I completely understand the importance of family. My family is here, and I can honestly say that I would have turned down any other school in the US to go to UW. Any other school - without regrets.

So if it's really important to you to stay with your family, then I would do that. Your education won't meet very much if you're miserable here.

But hey, if you end up coming here, I'll show you around Seattle! :) It's a great place, it is.

thanks laurie, good luck to you on getting off the list!!
harps: yes, we should study, come watch the movie.

I have work up the wazzzzooo! Seriously, I have a stupid-ass 6 page paper on Harry Potter for English in the morning...I am so envious of you..watching the movie.....daing you...who you going with?

Aight...I'll see ya Tuesday morning along with the wonderful Erwin...:scared: :scared:

-Harps

thanks bubblebobble, if i do end up in seattle, we'll have to party it up!!

harps: i'm going with my friend arezou, my roomie dustin/girl friend, and khaled. and to remind you, there is no lecture tuesday morning, just q&a

dude, drew/ucla is all about the mission. drew faculty live the mission everyday. you gotta be passionate about the mission.

i know that for those who are GENUINELY committed to working with the underserved and are crazy about Drew would go there in a heartbeat over anywhere else despite the problems they are having. you gotta be crazy about Drew...such a love that you are willing to deal with their problems.

plus, youll get to be in sunny cali near the beach (same for residency, you can be pretty sure youll always be in cali), 4th year research thesis, a truely UNIQUE med edu, county experience and youll be at UCLA.

i would go with drew/ucla, but that is only because i have lived their mission myself for almost 5 years now.

hope that helps. how was your interview experience at drew? were you happy with what you saw, ie school, the hospital, the faculty, etc??

I really liked Drew/King. The interview was with Dr. Aguillera and he was totally laid back - I really enjoyed myself and the experience. I grew up in an underserved populace so I am for sure going back to one to work, I have just heard from many that clerkship opportunities are limited at Drew since they've closed up a few programs (eg radiology, and the soon ortho). Instead you move over to UCLA MC, which is an academic center and you won't see the trauma you see at King.

Throwing Udub in this picture, they serve tons of underserved which is why they're #1 in primary care, so I feel like when I do the most crucial part of my training - hands on clerkship - I will have all the facilities around me.

Also, I've heard from numerous docs that residency is what matters most, so that's also confusing me because then I should definitely opt for the most practical and be choosy when it comes to residency. But at the same time, the residency will depend on what school you come from and what level of hands on you receive. So there's tons of factors that are really making this decision (again assuming I get into Drew) very difficult.

good luck with your decision. whatever it is, just make sure you'll be happy with it........best wishes! :hardy:

supposedly going to a cali school means you will be able to stay in cali for residency. dont know about udubb, but im sure they match very nicely.