U Wisconsin vs U Miami (MD/MPH)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hk0101

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am deciding between University of Wisconsin-Madison and University of Miami, and need your help! I’m hoping to be involved in public health and working with underserved communities in the future!

University of Wisconsin

Pros:
  • Great reputation; higher ranked in research
  • Appreciate the city, nature, and friendly people
  • 1.5 year preclinical curriculum
  • Lower cost of living (able to live alone if I need/want to)
Cons:
  • Fewer matches to CA and in variety of specialties
  • P/F with internal ranking (in graphical representation?)
  • Larger class size = less tight community?
  • Students seem stressed and less happy
  • Very cold most of the time (though I’d prefer cold over humid...)
University of Miami (MD/MPH)

Pros:
  • MD/MPH in four years
  • Great matches to CA and in variety of specialties
  • True P/F
  • Smaller class size = more tight-knit community?
  • Students seemed more happy and proud about their program
  • Opportunities to work with a more diverse immigrant population
  • Can practice my Spanish more and hopefully learn to speak it fluently
Cons:
  • 2-year preclinical curriculum
  • Lower ranked in research
  • More public health and mandatory classes may distract me from preclinical courses/research
  • Need to move to Palm Beach area for clinical rotations
  • I'd be in the first year of their change in curriculum integrating MPH cohort with MD cohort for classes
  • Higher cost of living (must live with a roommate)
  • Humid weather most of the time

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I interviewed at Wisconsin and thought it was an awesome program. Really sweet facilities too. I got the vibe the students were really happy! If you can stand the cold, I'd deff do UW. Loved the campus too - in the summer it is beautiful there!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
UW-Madison has strong research and is a great program. But you specifically mention an interest in public health and underserved/immigrant populations. With regard to your specific goals, an MD/MPH at UMiami has a clear advantage. It is the corridor to tertiary healthcare for much of Latin America. It is truly an international city.

Broach the topic of scholarships with Dean Weisman. People have had mixed results, but it may be worth it.

Congrats and good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
UMiami!

It's FREAKING MIAMI. Wisconsin weather sucks

You say this on literally every UM thread lol. Just to raise a counterpoint, summers are very hot (90F+), and rain is rampant August thru Mid October.

You say this on literally every UM thread lol. Just to raise a counterpoint, summers are very hot (90F+), and rain is rampant August thru Mid October.
I am biased I guess. I hate snow and rather take rain and very hot summers over having to see a single snowflake.

UW-Madison has strong research and is a great program. But you specifically mention an interest in public health and underserved/immigrant populations. With regard to your specific goals, an MD/MPH at UMiami has a clear advantage. It is the corridor to tertiary healthcare for much of Latin America. It is truly an international city.

Broach the topic of scholarships with Dean Weisman. People have had mixed results, but it may be worth it.

Congrats and good luck!
Thanks for the tip! I'll see if I can do that.

If anyone else has input, that would be greatly appreciated! Looks like poll is 50/50 right now...

As for the OP, everyone I've talked to has said they loved UW-Madison (I was highly interested in this program), and that 1.5 preclinical is super nice and hard to get at the vast majority of schools. UM, however, will likely have more research opportunities and perhaps more home programs in competitive specialties. Have you inquired about the time commitment for the MPH part? I’d imagine it’s many more classes, and maybe you’d need to stretch it over 5 years, as is the case with other MD/MPHs. I also reckon cost will be a big factor here.

Edit: a letter

Still going back and forth about both schools, so I would appreciate any more advice/help! For those of you who have voted for either schools, if you could explain why, that would be great!

Miami does have some great opportunities for public health you can’t find elsewhere. The Needle Exchange, Human Rights Clinic, DOCS, SJB clinic, funded global health field experience...and the list goes on. The MD/MPH program has a lot of mandatories, but hey you’re getting two degrees for the price of one. Also the MD/MPH cohort is very tight knit and supportive (probably due to all the mandatories though haha)