UAB Acceptances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bama03

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone recently accepted to UAB or South Alabama?

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't heard anything from UAB, except that they are way way behind this year.

I called South last week and was told that I was on the 'alternate interview list' . About as close to rejection as you can get without being rejected. Anyway, the person I talked mentioned twice that it wasn't over yet- that they were interviewing until March 12th and that they could call at anytime between now and then. Given that I haven't even been offered any interviews this year I was just glad they were holding off on rejecting me- but I'm not holding my breath. I'm not sure if I should start calling every other day to check on their schedule or what. They were super nice, so you might want to give them a call and check on your status if you still haven't heard anything.

I'm a resident, but I'm not living in bama right now. I feel pretty isolated b/c no one I know is applying to the alabama schools. Any news about acceptances, waitlists, etc. would be appreciated.

Thanks for the reply. Good luck with everything.

Anyone who has interviewed, please post what know about your current status from contacting either of the Alabama schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey all, i interviewed at both schools......haven't heard a thing from uab, but was accepted to usa a week after my interview.....i saw a few people at both interviews and since uab was first, when I was at usa a few of them told me they had been accepted to uab......usa was really nice, the people were super nice adn it seems like a nice cozy place with 62 kids and mobile being a relatively small twon...clincial years are amazing, to say the least, they said that in our third year we'd deliver 20-40 babies.......i doubt many schools compare....i'm a florida resident but i grew up in h'ville, so i think that helped.....let me knwo if you need any more info or anything

nero

Any news on UAB or South Alabama would be appreciated.

I interviewed at UAB in December and was accepted a couple of days later. Interviewed at South and was accepted a week or two later. I heard from a friend who hasnt heard anything from UAB yet that they will wait until like April if they dont let you know within the week.

I interviewed at UAB in December and received my acceptance letter a couple of weeks later. I visited South when I was in undergrad and didn't like Mobile so I didn't bother appling there.

I interviewed at UAB in October and still haven't heard anything from them. I hope they'll let me in soon though.

I interviewed there in October and was accepted in late November. I'm out of state though, so that might put me on a whole other timeline.

Anyone who has contacted the admissions office after your interview, please give us some feedback on what they told you. Thanks!

Originally posted by pillowhead
I interviewed there in October and was accepted in late November. I'm out of state though, so that might put me on a whole other timeline.

Yeah I'm out of state too....my interivew was kind of odd.....2 of the 3 interviewers said told me that if i wanted to come there, then i'd have a spot........but those 2 interviewers also asked me, if i'd really go there.........so who knows...wait andsee.

nero

Originally posted by nero
clincial years are amazing, to say the least, they said that in our third year we'd deliver 20-40 babies.......nero

that number is a little exaggerated. u will do more like 5-10 on ob/gyn and may get more if your family medicine rotation does ob work. very, very few people do between 20 and 40 vaginal deliveries.

Yeah, i guess thats no suprise...the guy, not sure his name, maybe mark?..the main guy who talks to the students made this claim....

nero

Any news on a day when UAB will hopefully accept more of us and hopefully USA accepted yesterday.

Back to the top. Any news?

UAB sent out Acceptances via email today

hey guys
i am a current MS-1 at UAB so i thought i would fill you in on the selection process. the admissions commitee meets once every month to decide who to let in. Then, they send out acceptances at the end of each month. So, if you interviewed Feb. 12th(i.e.) then you would have found out today or tomorrow if you got in. PLUS, for those who interviewed anytime before Feb., you could find something out if you got in with the rest of the february interviewees. If not, then you will have to wait until the end of March to find out. After that, I am pretty sure they start pulling from the wait list. The whole system is based on points. If you have enough points after your interview to meet their selection criteria, then you will instantly receive an acceptance. After each month, they lower their point expectations. That is why someone who interviewed in Nov. could have to wait until Feb. to find out.
Good luck everyone and i hope to see some of you next year.

jujack

I just wanted to give you guys what I've found out. I am in state and interviewed at UAB on Halloween. I have yet to hear anything from them about where I stand. I emailed them last week and was told that if not before, I would here where I stand in late March or April. So I am waiting for that. I had pretty much hung up my idea of interviewing at USA being that I hadn't heard anything by March, but low and behold I got an interview invitation today to come interview on March 12. I guess I'm at the bottom of the list, but hopefully there will still be room. If anyone hears anything from either school I'd appreciate to know about it.

Hey bnichols,

I was in your interview group and I haven't heard anything either. I'm out of state though, so that complicates things. Hopefully we'll see each other next year at UAB.

Just curious--these are the schools I hope to apply to.
What were your GPAs and MCATs

Shoot for a 3.5+ GPA and a 28-30 MCAT and you will be starting out on the right foot.