btchance

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 3, 2003
right here
Status (Visible)
For those of you that were admitted to UAB, when did you find out which campus you were assigned to for your third and fourth year. I was accepted about two weeks ago and haven't heard yet.
And while we're at it, what is your guys overall opinion on UAB. I'm trying to decide betweeen it and a couple of other schools. Thanks.

gizzdogg

keeper of the three lions
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2001
Status (Visible)
I was accepted two weeks ago as well, and like you, have been wondering recently when the campus selection letter will arrive. I hope to hear about that very soon because it's the only variable that's still undetermined for me. I hope i get placed into the birmingham program. I really am not prepared to consider Huntsville or Tuscaloosa at this point, and my campus selection choice definely reflected that preference.

As for my impressions of uab, I only applied to and interviewed at two other schools, vanderbilt and wash u, so I'm not a seasoned med school applicant. In fact, UAB was the last school i interviewed at. After my first two interviews, i thought uab would surely be my third choice school. I was that impressed by both vanderbilt and washu. But I was pleasantly surprised by uab. It's now my top choice.

Cost considerations aside (I'm an Alabama resident), I'd still unequivocally choose uab over vanderbilt. The variety of hospitals and facilities at uab surpasses those at vandy in my opinion. UAB's student body also seemed much more down-to-earth. WashU of course is a great school, and deciding between uab and washu would have been much more difficult(i've been waitlisted at wash u). Regardless, I think that had i been admitted to washu, i would've still chosen uab due to cost/location/happiness considerations.

One last thing to think about. The curriculum, while traditional at UAB, still seems very flexible and easily molded into a student's individual needs. I, for one, am not a lecture-based learner. At some other schools (vanderbilt comes to mind), students spend many more hours inside the classroom.

So what other schools are you considering? Are you in-state? Hope this helps.

btchance

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 3, 2003
right here
Status (Visible)
No, I'm from Oklahoma. I've been accepted at OU (my state school) and Finch, and have been waitlisted at Tulane. For me, I think I'm going to go to UAB over the other two, but if I get into Tulane, then probably there (although I'm not sure). I interviewed at UAB last October, which was months before my other interviews, so I am having a hard time comparing them now. Thanks for the info, though, it definately helped.

jessetig

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 4, 2003
Status (Visible)
your acceptance letter should say your campus assignment in the last paragragh. mine did, it said "birmingham" in bold middle ways through a sentence.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.