UAB News

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bradleyp

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody out there heard anything from UAB about where they stand on things or if there has been any movement? I know its early, but I am so impatient.

Members don't see this ad.

What do you mean, where they stand on things? I got my acceptance from them in late February or early March, but I had to turn them down.

if you're on the waitlist, here's what Dr. Nathan Smith said in an email

"it is not anticipated that any alternate will be
accepted until late April or early in May"

Members don't see this ad :)
I know someone who knows someone in the admin office! I was told that for the past few years the second third has been offered a position in the class.
I also know a friend that was on the bottom third of the list and didn't get in b/c they stopped pulling from the list 3 people ahead of him. So I think that as long as you are on the 1st 2 thirds, you will be offered a seat.

I was wondering if anyone heard about any waitlist movement or if anyone here has gained an accpetance off the wailist yet. I know it is early, but many things are happening a little later this year.

I interviewed in january, was wait-listed in March and recently rejected via about 1-2wks ago. Factor to consider: I am an out-of-state applicant. I'm not sure if they treat/process us differently. Good luck!

You got the waitlist email but then they rejected you a few weeks later? That sounds weird! Were you on the bottom third of the waitlist?

Has anyone sent a status email yet? The admissions guy I work with has been MIA so I haven't gotten any good info lately.

When are you going to send your update email? My letter said to wait till the end of April.

A side point: A good friend of mine was on the waitlist last year and she got pulled off about May 22. I think she was around position 17 on the list, give or take a slot or two.

I think that Dr. Smith is just going to say that there isn't a lot of movement yet on the list.

What does your source say about your admission chances?

A friend/classmate of mine from Auburn got pulled off the waitlist last year. He said that he has always been told that the top 1/3 of the waitlist usually gets in. After that it varies from year to year.

Sammarai: Who's your friend?

Cool. Ayesha was in my small group sessions for Gross Anatomy. Really sweet. Sorry to get everyone off track.

I made the grave mistake of not saying that UAB was my top choice when I intervied...and then I got waitlisted. :(

Let that be a lesson to you young'uns.

Having a wailist email that was optimistic should tell us that we are in good shape if most get in from our position. I think there will be even more movement this year because a greater percentage of out of staters were accepted. If you go by old numbers from their web site a greater percentage do not attend after being accepted if they are out of state. I heard everyone on the middle third got in last year and like four on the last third. I met with Dr Hand last summer just before he retired and was told they were almost through the end of the second third that was in early July. I just hate this waiting.I asked Gower on medicalgold.com and he said usually 8-15 get in after June 15 (where he gets his info I don't know). USA final decisions were being made today, good luck to those who applied there as well.

Anybody hear anything lately?