UAB Orientation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shades McCool

Kal-el
7+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Speaking of orientation, I am scheduling your orientation week. I wanted to run some ideas by you before the schedule is set.

One thing I am trying to incorporate into this year’s orientation is as much interaction with the second year students as possible. Last year we didn't have much and I think, as an incoming class, you would benefit more from talking to the students than anyone else.

Some of the bigger things that will happen at orientation will be a night at the Civil Rights Institute, a probable Birmingham Baron's baseball game with food and beer, an unofficial party with food and beer at Snoozy's Bookstore, and the White Coat Ceremony.

Your mornings will be filled with mandatory meetings addressing your first block of classes, the honor council, transcript committee, ect. The afternoons will be free time with optional activities to attend. These will range from Basic Life Saving courses (a BLS certification is required to start school), financial aid meets, and sports (flag football and Ultimate Frisbee). Two of the nights, students may meet second year students at various restaurants to get to know each other and talk in a relaxed atmosphere.

As you know, classes do not begin until August 1st. That leaves Monday July 31st open for orientation activities. What is in the works is the first annual “4th Floor vs. 5th Floor Volker Challenge.” This will be a field day pitting the first years assigned to the fourth floor learning community against the fifth floor learning community. This event will consist of events such as tug of war. This goes ahead and sets up the inevitable rivalry that exists between the two floors.

If anyone has any suggestions or questions post them here or send me an instant message. My screen name is shades6091. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.