UAB School of Medicine acceptance emails

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I talked to a guy that who is a first year med student at UAB. According to him, there are 60 people on the waitlist. He said that usually the top 2/3 gets in and sometimes the whole list gets accepted. I think this is encouraging, but things can change from year to year. So for those people on the waiting list (like me) there is still hope. Like I said this is second hand information, the guy I talked to is just a student, not someone on the adcom, so take it for what it's worth. One more thing, what are you guys' thoughts on the statement "as of now, more than 1/3 of the people on our waiting list are holding acceptances at other schools". Do you think that is good or bad for the people that aren't holding other acceptances (i.e. does it increase or decrease the chances of getting accepted down the road?).

Members don't see this ad.

well i sure hope this is accurate news---top 2/3rds or the whole list gets in---

I think that by 1/3 of the alternate list already holding acceptances is only good news------I take it that it will only help to thin out the alternate list.
If I had an acceptance somewhere I would take it and not take a chance of an alternate acceptance----I hope this is the record year for all of us on the laternate list as far as acceptances.

B.T.W.---I'v got all my sources working on how many is on the list and what chances the middle 1/3rd have on getting in---I'll post my news as soon as they get back with me.

later

RNtoDO said:
well i sure hope this is accurate news---top 2/3rds or the whole list gets in---

I think that by 1/3 of the alternate list already holding acceptances is only good news------I take it that it will only help to thin out the alternate list.
If I had an acceptance somewhere I would take it and not take a chance of an alternate acceptance----I hope this is the record year for all of us on the laternate list as far as acceptances.

B.T.W.---I'v got all my sources working on how many is on the list and what chances the middle 1/3rd have on getting in---I'll post my news as soon as they get back with me.

later
From what I heard, all but 13 people on the waitlist got in last year.

Members don't see this ad :)
where did u come by this info??

can they tell you about other years besides last year

RNtoDO said:
where did u come by this info??

can they tell you about other years besides last year
It is what has floated out of the pre-health advisory department here on the plains.

I havent been accepted yet but where is everyone planning on living in Birmingham? I know they are building some condos across the street from the Kirkland Clinic that would be perfect for med students but they wont be finished till next spring. What are some other ideas?

I haven't been accepted to UAB either, but I have looked at some apartments around Birmingham. Homewood is a pretty nice area and is only about ten or fifteen minutes from the campus. If you want to check out some other options, you can do an apartment search through the UAB website. Go to the admissions homepage and scroll down to the "Great Places to Live" option. Click on B'ham and it will take you to an apartment finder website. Hope this helps.

I was just wondering if anyone could explain to me the whole financial aid process. 1. I haven't been accepted yet, but do I need to make preparations for a student loan? 2. I'm almost finished filling out the fasfa, but what's the next step? I read some of the stuff on the UAB website about the financial aid package but it's all greek to me. Can anyone explain this process to me or tell me where I can get the info I need. Thanks.

hey i'm shadowing a doc tomorrow on the committee, will try and find out some info about the waitlist and post it.

if anyone else knows anyone or has anyone to ask who would know about the waitlist acceptances---do it to it...
later

no such luck from the source i thought i had today, but really no big shock that i wasnt told anything----hush-hush i guess

rbfiji13 said:
I was just wondering if anyone could explain to me the whole financial aid process. 1. I haven't been accepted yet, but do I need to make preparations for a student loan? 2. I'm almost finished filling out the fasfa, but what's the next step? I read some of the stuff on the UAB website about the financial aid package but it's all greek to me. Can anyone explain this process to me or tell me where I can get the info I need. Thanks.

Just finish and submit your FAFSA. A few days after I submitted mine I got a letter from the fin. aid office at UAB saying they couldn't give me my award letter yet because I didn't have the following: acceptance, some other UAB form. I suppose once you resolve everything on that letter you will get something telling you the next steps you have to take...

I broke down and signed up to this site. I need to linger with others who are also in wait-list purgatory. Aie.

Here's my scoop: I'm an in-state resident, and I'm accepted to USA (I really liked that school), but because of family circumstances, I really need to go to UAB (fortunately, I really like this school also.) But, UAB wait-listed me (top 1/3).

A pre-med advisor who has worked with UAB for a long time tells me that the wait list is about 100 people long. Typically, everyone from the top third of the list is accepted, and many from the second third are also accepted. Sometimes more, but it depends on the year.

This advisor also told me an amusing story from UAB admissions - about 10 years ago they not only went through the ENTIRE wait list, but they then accepted one person who have previously been rejected. Ha!

tmarsh said:
I havent been accepted yet but where is everyone planning on living in Birmingham? I know they are building some condos across the street from the Kirkland Clinic that would be perfect for med students but they wont be finished till next spring. What are some other ideas?

Check out the 2001 UAB "Purple Book". It is a collection of advice from previous students on academics, restaurants, apartments, etc. (http://main.uab.edu/uasom/2/show.asp?durki=42112). There is also a 2004 version, but they leave out the useful commentary (http://main.uab.edu/uasom/2/show.asp?durki=68611). Personally, I really dig the old apartments across from the Botanical Gardens (so beautiful!) or in the Highlands/Forest Park/Avondale area (very nice old area and so close to UAB!). Or, houses for rent in Southside can be nice. Beware the apartments there tho - some are kinda skeezy.

If you want to buy a place, check out the condos in the Highlands/Forest Park/Avondale neighborhood. Also, Southside and Crestwood are relatively close and have older, affordable homes. If you're bent on living in downtown Bham, there's also the up and coming loft district.

Good luck! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
lalamoo said:
I broke down and signed up to this site. I need to linger with others who are also in wait-list purgatory. Aie.

Here's my scoop: I'm an in-state resident, and I'm accepted to USA (I really liked that school), but because of family circumstances, I really need to go to UAB (fortunately, I really like this school also.) But, UAB wait-listed me (top 1/3).

A pre-med advisor who has worked with UAB for a long time tells me that the wait list is about 100 people long. Typically, everyone from the top third of the list is accepted, and many from the second third are also accepted. Sometimes more, but it depends on the year.

This advisor also told me an amusing story from UAB admissions - about 10 years ago they not only went through the ENTIRE wait list, but they then accepted one person who have previously been rejected. Ha!

That's pretty funny...I've also heard of schools calling people the day before classes start and telling them that if they can make it there's a spot for them...let's hope that some good news comes a little sooner than August 1 for all of us here.

hey lalamoo,

since u have an acceptance to USA, what date do you have to have a final decision made for aceepting or declining an acceptance??

when do you think those on the alternate list will start hearing, as far as UAB's list goes????

and how deep into the middle 1/3rd of the waitlist did ur source say they go???

please post if u here anything as far as UAB starting on the alternate list...

thanks

RNtoDO said:
hey lalamoo,

since u have an acceptance to USA, what date do you have to have a final decision made for aceepting or declining an acceptance??

when do you think those on the alternate list will start hearing, as far as UAB's list goes????

thanks

I got an acceptance from south in march and the letter just told me to write back and let them know if they should hold my spot within 3 weeks. It didn't say anything about final decisions.... come to think about it it didn't even say when class started or when I would hear from them again. anyone else accepted at south received anything after the acceptance letter? I haven't heard from their financial aid people even though my fafsa is submitted... weird huh?

lalamoo

so are u going to south??

I haven't heard anything from South either since I got my letter. You would think they would send info on when everything started. :cool:

RNtoDO said:
hey lalamoo,

thanks

Ditto to what Parmer said. USA just said to let them know in 2 weeks by mailing an acceptance letter and a $50 deposit. Then I think the deal is like with all schools (?) that you lose your deposit if you withdraw after May 15.

As for UAB's alternate list, I don't know any more than what they said, which is possibly late April or early May. The advisor told me they almost always go through the whole first third of the wait list and usually down into the second third.

Waiting... waiting... <sigh>

RNtoDO said:
lalamoo

so are u going to south??

I'm not sure. Like I mentioned before, I have compelling circumstances to be in Birmingham, so I'm waiting to see if I get into UAB. If if weren't for that, I'd probably be house-hunting in Mobile right now. I think the pre-med crowd tends to see USA as a sub-par "safety school", but I was really impressed with the quality of their teaching. Incidentally, I haven't heard anything from USA since I mailed my deposit.

LaLaMoo,
are you in AED?

flashmark,
I must not be, since I'm not sure what it is. :)

any news??????????

still waiting...

My friend got a letter from USA saying he is on the waitlist.

JT1979 said:
My friend got a letter from USA saying he is on the waitlist.

did he get the letter today?

I got a letter from USA today as well. Since most of the people here know about USA and UAB, does anyone know what the waitlist is like at USA and how many off the list they usually accept? I called Mark Scott but apparantly he is out of the office until the 21 of April so I don't have any idea about what part of the waitlist I'm on.

I think he said that pretty much everyone off the waitlist gets accepted. It is a small waitlist and many people with acceptances will go to UAB so it moves well. I would bet you are in good shape with South.

has anyone heard of any movement off the UAB waitlist??

does anyone have a guess when some movement can be expected??

No news yet, but the waitlist e-mail said it may be late april or early may b/f anyone gets in off the list. Until then, I think the best thing for us to do is to be patient and try not to stress too much about it, if that's even possible. I wish they'd update their website. In the e-mail it said to check the site for updates but it hasn't been updated in almost a month. Oh well, stay positive.

i am in the middle 1/3rd and my email said that some individuals in recent years have been accepted from this position.

u gotta hope that when it said that 1/3rd of the individuals on the waitlist already hold an acceptance to another med school that they take their acceptance and thin the list.

B.T.W. > i just emailed UAB and they said that there will be the greatest movement around may 15th--not sure if this is common knowledge but alteast it gives us a date to look forward to.

later

RNtoDO said:
B.T.W. > i just emailed UAB and they said that there will be the greatest movement around may 15th--not sure if this is common knowledge but alteast it gives us a date to look forward to.

later

That makes sense because May 15 is the date when applicants are supposed to drop their multiple acceptances and keep just one. No surprise there. But holy hale, I don't think I can wait that long!!! :eek:

Wow, 4 players in the first round! War Damn Eagle!

UAB has updated their website. they still have not picked anyone off the waitlist... hopefully soon...

Parmer said:
UAB has updated their website. they still have not picked anyone off the waitlist... hopefully soon...

Yeah, I am obsessively checking their website too. The website update says in its entirety, "We have yet to begin accepting applicants from our alternate list as of April 26, 2005".

Do y'all think this is bad news for the wait-listers, or just that a few jerks who managed to get in are stockpiling their acceptances while they can?

lalamoo said:
Yeah, I am obsessively checking their website too. The website update says in its entirety, "We have yet to begin accepting applicants from our alternate list as of April 26, 2005".

Do y'all think this is bad news for the wait-listers, or just that a few jerks who managed to get in are stockpiling their acceptances while they can?

Isn't it a stretch to call them jerks?

The class is over accepted so some people must choose elsewhere before UAB touches the waitlist. Expect movement around the May 15 deadline. Until then I would'nt really bother checking in on it much.

Shades McCool said:
Isn't it a stretch to call them jerks?
AHA, you're one of them!!! :D

I know this has nothing to do with waitlist movement but for those of you who like to stay in shape the new rec center at UAB is awesome. All the machines and free weights are Hammer Strength and there are like 1000 bikes and treadmills. Four gyms and the pool has a lazy river sort of thing going on. I'm not sure if we will have a lot of time to work out during school but it is definately top notch. :thumbup:

lalamoo said:

To those of you on the waiting list or even people accepted, are you planning or have you already sent a letter of intent/update letter? I am considering sending something like this to both UAB and USA (waitlisted at both). Do you think this would have any impact on my application at all or is it just a waist of time and effort?

no acceptances off the alternate list as of yet, but anticipated within the next two weeks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

good luck everyone

I just checked my email and saw I was accepted of the waitlist. Thought everyone would want to know the list is moving now. Good luck :thumbup:

tmarsh said:
I just checked my email and saw I was accepted of the waitlist. Thought everyone would want to know the list is moving now. Good luck :thumbup:
congrats, that's really good news.

hey t-marsh
are you going to UAB?
and what did your email say?
anyone else accepted off the waitlist?

tmarsh - that's great news! I'm hoping they will have more to send out this week. I'm still waiting...

Yeah, I will be going to UAB so I guess that opens a spot up at South. I actually got the email last Friday but didnt check it till yesterday so movement actually started before the May 15 deadline. The email basically said, "We are pleased to offer you an acceptance off the alternate list for this years entering class... we will mail you a packet of information soon...contact us with any questions." Hopefully everyone else will hear soon.

hey tmarsh where were u on the waitlist? top third?

has anyone from the middle third been offered an acceptance??

RNtoDO said:
hey tmarsh where were u on the waitlist? top third?

has anyone from the middle third been offered an acceptance??

tmarsh was on the top third. I am on the top third and haven't heard yet. I will post when (staying optimistic here) I do.