UAB vs. Emory vs. Florida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

css10

Reaction score
UAB

Pros
- In-state tuition
- More individual clerkship experience
Cons
- Has an Honors distinction in pre-clinical years
- Lower Step scores

Emory

Pros
- Lots of clinical attention/experience
- Good Step results
Cons
- More expensive
- Little to no time off due to curriculum structure

Florida

Pros
- Best facilities out of the 3
- Strong performance on Step
Cons
- More expensive (for just the 1st year- can establish in-state residency after)
- Gainesville

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Disclaimer: Accepted into Emory.

I'd go Emory. Especially if considering a competitive residency. Not sure how serious you are about FL residency. Are you gonna live there?

I would not even consider UAB based on honor distinction in preclinical. Med school is already stressful enough.

Reactions: 1 user
UAB. It’s a very solid institution with a great reputation (better than Florida, within the range of Emory) and looks like it would be significantly cheaper than your other options (>$100k + interest in the long run). Quoting LizzyM from a similar thread two years ago:
Are you going to regret every day you wake up in Birmingham more than you'll regret every student loan check you write for as long as it takes to pay it off? Eventually it will be paid off and you'll be wherever it got you and you may look back and be grateful. I picked the more expensive school (over a free ride) and it was painful to pay for years and years but look where it got me. YMMV

Given that 1) Step 1 is moving to pass/fail and 2) step scores are more dependent on the individual so having a lower school-wide average isn’t super predictive on how well you’re personally going to do, I’m gonna say that it’s not a huge deal. Where do you think you’d get the better clinical experience through clerkships, out of class activities, etc.? Does potentially staying closer to family/support network in-state matter to you? All things to consider.

Also, I would look at the points raised in this thread! Will probably help as you make your decision.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user