UAB vs. Tulane

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pricerd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok guys,
For some reason, I have yet to accept an offer for admission at any school. I was accepted everywhere I applied, but I have narrowed it down to UAB (Health Care Organization and Policy) or Tulane (International Health and Development). I am also a Master's International student, so I will be going to the Peace Corps after I finish either program's requirements. Through that I have received in-state tuition at UAB (10k for the whole program) and a grant at Tulane (5k).

So the issue is this--as someone who hopes to go into international health, how much better is going to Tulane than UAB? Tulane, with the grant is going to clock in at around 60k, and while that's not as much as some other private schools, it will put me well into debt. Is the deal at UAB good enough to forgo the better name? Or should I go to Tulane, where there is a lot more reputation and networking ability?

Members don't see this ad.

I narrowed it down to those exact same two schools, went with Tulane. They have an incredible international reputation.

Was it enough of a difference in reputation to justify the cost? That's what I'm struggling with.

Members don't see this ad :)
Was it enough of a difference in reputation to justify the cost? That's what I'm struggling with.

I graduated a couple of years ago, but when I was applying, I had narrowed it down to a smaller (accredited) state program in Community Health (fully covered) and Tulane's MPH in International Health and Development (minimal award). I ended up choosing the smaller program and, for what it's worth, have since worked with international organizations. I had pre-MPH work experience (including three years combined experience in East Africa and SE Asia), so I'm sure that factored in... but don't forget that you'll also be getting fantastic international experience/language training/etc. through the Peace Corps.

UAB has a wonderful program, including professors with solid global health reputations. If you're dying to be at Tulane, then go for it, but I certainly don't think you'd be selling yourself short if you choose UAB!

so i committed to UAB, but I will keep checking with Tulane to see if they are going to throw me a little more money.

I doubt Tulane is going to give you any more money. It's basically all loans, but you may be able to get work-study. (If they didn't already give this to you, go ahead and just ask for it). This is what I've been told by current students and the finaid office during the Open House. However, one pro about Tulane is that it's an 18-month program, making it shorter than some others out there.

Besides all of that though, the MPH will be what you make out of it. Choose the school that you think best fits you. I don't think you'll lose out at UAB. (However, I do notice you applied to two different programs at each school?).

Yeah, the program at UAB doesn't have a international health program--they do a certificate atop another program.