UAB vs USACOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Syndonium

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
UAB

Pros:
Research-focused
Scholarship offer
Large hospital-system w/ lots of resources
Familiarity w/ the school (personally, been on-campus and lived in Bham)
Nationally recognized (better residency opportunities?)

Cons:
Bham cost of living slightly higher
Class size is 186 (large)
Interested in Primary Care, but got in as trad. MD
Interview experience very competitive feel

USA College of Medicine

Pros:
Clinically oriented (potential Primary Care Pathway program? Won't know unless I enroll)
Mobile cheaper than Bham
Class size is 74
Welcoming interview, faculty seemed very student-focused (maybe same is true for UAB?)
Parking is better, scenery/lifestyle in Mobile probably better than in Bham

Cons:
Smaller hospital-system (although I hear it's a main hospital for the south)
Don't know about scholarship offer (may get an offer later)
Possibly less residency opportunities?

Summary: Not sure which to go to, want to do primary care/rural medicine, haven't been able to visit USA yet, both seem like good schools but matching into a good residency to be a well-qualified attending with clinical research opportunities is important to me. Really like small class size of USA but worried that resources/education might be better at UAB, honestly looking for something to make the two schools feel like less of a tie.

Members don't see this ad.

Both are solid schools. Research opportunities are definitely more abundant at UAB and its name carries more weight outside of the immediate region. Not that it matters as much now, but USA Step 1 scores have been as good or better than UAB for the last several years. I personally know two former USA students that matched into IM at UT Southwestern and Vandy with highly competitive board scores and solid research experience. They really are essentially a tie. It will come down to what's most important to you: Cost of attendance, class size, name recognition, etc.

Last edited:
I think with the scholarship offer and all around opportunities at UA , I would choose UAB. It is hard to know your field 100% and having a larger med school with opportunities will help you reach whatever future you may decide to pursue. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user