UAMS in Little Rock?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zback

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is you all opinions on UAMS? How hard is it to get in if you are a resident of Arkansas? Just wanting a little all around information on the school.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Its relatively easy to get into as a state resident, compared to other schools. As far as its quality, it seems to be on the upswing. They're building a brand new hospital, dorms, and various other facilities and their programs are beginning to get more recognition. On the downside, they have an old school grading system(A, B, C, etc) and graduating from there probably won't jumpstart an elite academic career but it seems like a pretty good place to go to school and several docs i've talked to say that their graduates generally have pretty good clinical skills. hope it helps.

Anybody interviewing at UAMS this application cycle?

I going there on January 8. Any pointers? I'll check the interview feedback too.

Edit:
I found this helpful UAMS thread

Members don't see this ad :)
I also have an interview on the 8th. I have lived in Little Rock the last two summers and actually lived in the Med school dorms one of the summers. There are a few brand new buildings and they are building more. It seems like they are really improving the facilities.

I heard they are also building new dorms (yes they have dorms...it's unusual at the places I have been to). I know a several of the people going there and they are very nice. I only know a couple of the doctors but none of the 1st or 2nd year professors.

I really like the city. It's not too big and there is a lot of culture. You have to check out a bar-b-que place called Sims. It's the best you'll ever have.

I dunno how easy it is to get into though. I think they split the state up into 4 areas and take the same amount of people from each area. So if you are like me and from Fayetteville you may have to compete with more people from this area than say some of the more rural southern portions of the state. With that said, my brother had a few friends from the U of A who were not accepted even though their GPAs were around the 3.7 to 3.8 range. Though he wasn't certain of their MCATs or science GPAs, he did tell me they were relatively smart and probably scored at least UAMS average on them. I dunno, I guess that is just something to think about.

i am in a a debate about whether I should apply here or not next year. I am no longer a state resident, but I have very close ties to it (I lived in Rogers, AR for 4 years, was in UofArk Upward Bound Program, and have relatives in Fort Smith, and so the dean or someone told me I would be a competitive out-of-stater). I might be a Resident Mentor at UofArk for Y.O.U this summer (so another tie forged if I decide to do this) but I am not sure I want to be in Arkansas. My gpa isn't that great, but i'm going to probably be unusual in that i'm not the usual UofArk applicant, so, idunno if i should apply. i probably will in the end.

I interviewed there and was recently accepted. Although its hard to say, just by the stats it is fairly easy to get into (assuming you're a resident). They do, however, divide up the state by area (county?), so being from pulaski couldnt have helped me..

As far as quality of the school, there were a few annoyances for me. For one, they are changing to an organ-based curriculum, but not until what would be our 2nd year. So not only are we guinea-pigs, but we have to switch what we've been doing...

Also the new construction, which is good generally, I dont think will help our entering class.. though I forget the details, I think they're tearing the dorms down (so no new dorms for us)... anyone know? All these interviews run together lol..

Overall, UAMS seemed much less eager to impress or please their applicants than some other schools ive been to. My thinking is that since they only accept AR residents, they dont have to be as worried about it, but who knows..

Oh and for you OCD ppl, my acceptance came in a big manilla envelope. Regular mail.

Quynh2007

I applied to UAMS from out of state and they say that if you are out of state you shouldn't apply if your gpa or mcat isn't above a certain level. I think they say you should have at least a 3.6 gpa and a 9 on the MCAT. There is some law that states that you can't take the place of an equally qualified in-state applicant. You should check it out though.

I received an interview and I have really strong ties to the state in that my parents have worked there for 20 years and I have lived there the last two summers.

I hope that I get accepted because I really like Little Rock and my fiance likes it better than oklahoma city (OU COM).

oh well. i also have an outside most likely not chance of getting into UF the first time around, but i'm still applying there. argh. i know i should be grateful I live in NY, but a lot don't favor residents and/or really competitive

honsano said:
I dunno how easy it is to get into though. I think they split the state up into 4 areas and take the same amount of people from each area. So if you are like me and from Fayetteville you may have to compete with more people from this area than say some of the more rural southern portions of the state. With that said, my brother had a few friends from the U of A who were not accepted even though their GPAs were around the 3.7 to 3.8 range. Though he wasn't certain of their MCATs or science GPAs, he did tell me they were relatively smart and probably scored at least UAMS average on them. I dunno, I guess that is just something to think about.

While UAMS does take students equally from all 4 congressional districts-it
is only 28 per district. That evens the odds for those from Fayetteville and Little Rock areas, as alot of the other 38 open slots area taken from those areas. Yes, it is true that a lot of students from UofA with wonderful GPAs do not get in to UAMS. I have no idea what the pre-med committee writes on its LOR but each person on the committee votes and if the vote is split, it is put into the letter that way. If the Pre-med committee doesn't like you-then you have a hard time getting in. And for those who will be interviewing-they do not like people that are conceited and act like a horse's a**. They have turned down 4.0gpa and great Mcat because of attitude. Just be yourself-you will be fine. For those out of state-if you really would want to go to UAMS rather than somewhere in another state-let them know-it does make a difference. Last year's acceptances came in a large envelope and did not have to be signed for. Small envelope is wait list or rejection.