UAMS - Waiting?!?!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CAPBonanza

cura te ipsum
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey...I just found out that I got waitlisted today by UAMS in little rock...I was wondering if there was anyone else out there who either: Got waitlisted also or got waitlisted last year. Or even people who got in this time. I was just wanting to get some other people's experiences connected to UAMS this admissions cycle.

Members don't see this ad.

CAPBonanza said:
Hey...I just found out that I got waitlisted today by UAMS in little rock...I was wondering if there was anyone else out there who either: Got waitlisted also or got waitlisted last year. Or even people who got in this time. I was just wanting to get some other people's experiences connected to UAMS this admissions cycle.

I also am on the waitlist. I saw the yellow envelope and thought it was good news so I was a little disappointed. Are you going to go if accepted?

KaramelQT said:
I also am on the waitlist. I saw the yellow envelope and thought it was good news so I was a little disappointed. Are you going to go if accepted?

I chased down the mail man so he could give me my mail early, I saw it and I started freaking out...but then I realized how light it was... :(

But Its not all bad...just more waiting... :eek:

But I also got waitlisted by Texas Tech, but Arkansas is and always has been my first choice...even though it'll cost twice as much. I think if I was in-state I would have been accepted out-right, but who knows?

Karamel, Are you in-state? or out?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have been wait listed as well. Do you all think that the admissions office will tell us our ranking on the list?

I don't know if they'll tell us...but I'm sure as hell going to try. I need more info just in general of how this all works, but I read some where that there were 64 people on the list in 2005.

Were you at the interview day back in January for the out of staters? I think, in total, there were around 80 or so out of state interviewees there. I'm thinking that they accepted around 20 of those, maybe one or two more.

Now I'm assuming that they have sepearate wait lists, one for in-state and the other for out of state. I've got to think that the out of state wait list can't be all that large (why wait list more than say...15-20 people?).

Anyway, i'm hoping for a lot of movement. I think what helps us is that UAMS is most likely not the first choice for a lot of out of staters.

Ughhh, this process is so nerve wracking. Hopefully we'll hear some good news and soon.

Yup, that was me on the 7th...

I'm also expecting a lot of movement from the out of state crowd, but I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed... :confused:

How did the interviews go? Where are you all from?

I'm from Southeast Missouri, I'm finishing up my undergrad at Truman State (in northern Missouri).

I'm not really sure how the interview went. I had two faculty interview me and they just read from a list of questions. It was my first interview ever for med school so I was very nervous but I think I did ok.

Well mine was pretty weird at first, but as it went on they ( 3 of them) seemed less adversarial. I was pretty nervous, but that's just because I wanted it that bad.

didn't decide to send a secondary to uams because of the bad odds for out of staters, but i do know of instate people who got in off the waitlist, so there's definitely movement. uams is really cheap for out of state, right, so it'd be pretty cool to get in. g'luck!

Im from Cleveland, OH but I used to live in Arkansas and I really stressed this in my interview. My dad's side of my family is from Arkansas. I don't know how the waitlist works either. I am going to call and find out.

I called this morning, and this is what they told me...

Yes the alternate list is ranked. and No they couldn't tell me what my rank was. Waiting until August is a definite possibility, and they will contact us by mail if and when we get in. I asked about the new dorms and she said that they were specifically for the med students and that even if accepted late, we could still live there on campus.

Thanks CAP! I've been trying to get a hold of them but haven't gotten through. Well WHEN we get in, i'll see you there :D Let me know if you hear anything!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yup, I think it's definately a matter of WHEN and not IF when it comes to UAMS. Also, when I talked to the person on the phone she said that there's only one list, for instate and out. I forgot to ask her how many are on the list...but if someone calls, could you ask and post this info for us? And are you all going to write letters of intent for UAMS?

On a separate note, I talked to my pre-med advisor today and he said that he had been told by the Texas schools that the match this year went pretty well and so they think that there won't be much movement on their waitlists. SO...it looks like UAMS might be my only shot this year...I hope it comes through.

I gave the admissions office a call. The lady wouldn't be specific but she said there is usually around 60 people on the wait list (glad to know it combines in and out of state!) . I asked her how much movement there was historically and she said that it could be anyway from under 10 (movements from alternate list to acceptance) to anywhere of 30 and up. So hopefully WHEN we get in...it will be ASAP ;-)

I'm an M1 at UAMS. I wasn't on the waitlist, but I know several people in my class who were. If you want to be moved to the top of the list and don't mind doing a general residency later on (family med, internal med, pediatrics, gen surgery, or ob/gyn), then you can apply for that program and almost certainly get in. Also, they said they increased the number of people who got in this year from 150 to 160, but there is still a law that a certain percentage of the students here have to be from Arkansas, so although it may help 1 or 2 out-of-staters it won't help all that much. Oh, and we had someone who dropped out the day after registration or something crazy like that, and someone came to take their place that afternoon. So anything can happen! Good luck to you all!!

CAPBonanza said:

Okay, here is the deal. I was accepted to the class of 2010 @ UAMS and have already sent my letter of intent. I know for a fact that there are several alternates (waitlisted applicants) that eventually matriculate and several may find out as late as May or June. They have to cover all of their bases to fill the class to its capacity. I have put a lot of blood, sweat, and tears into this damn process and I know each of you have too!.. so by all means, be patient and don't give up.. there is a good likelihood that you will be in the Class of 2010. Being waitlisted @ the very least means that you are a very good applicant worthy of consideration.. and all you need is one push to put you over the top. By all means, please feel free to contact me on this forum or send me a private message.. I can divulge contact information if you would like to talk to me abut the process, and the forthcoming class because you very well may be in it with me and its good to get an early start and know your fellow classmates! I look forward to hearing from you all soon. Thanks and you really should feel great about everything you have accomplished already! Talk to you soon. :) :thumbup:

-Mark Shelnutt, class of 2010

-sometimes the presence of one virute hides the absence of another.

mofonation said:
Okay, here is the deal. I was accepted to the class of 2010 @ UAMS and have already sent my letter of intent. I know for a fact that there are several alternates (waitlisted applicants) that eventually matriculate and several may find out as late as May or June. They have to cover all of their bases to fill the class to its capacity. I have put a lot of blood, sweat, and tears into this damn process and I know each of you have too!.. so by all means, be patient and don't give up.. there is a good likelihood that you will be in the Class of 2010. Being waitlisted @ the very least means that you are a very good applicant worthy of consideration.. and all you need is one push to put you over the top. By all means, please feel free to contact me on this forum or send me a private message.. I can divulge contact information if you would like to talk to me abut the process, and the forthcoming class because you very well may be in it with me and its good to get an early start and know your fellow classmates! I look forward to hearing from you all soon. Thanks and you really should feel great about everything you have accomplished already! Talk to you soon. :) :thumbup:

-Mark Shelnutt, class of 2010

-sometimes the presence of one virute hides the absence of another.

Are you out of state?

KaramelQT said:
Are you out of state?

No, Kar, I'm an in-stater, from central Arkansas.. and I can't say with anymore certainty than anyone else how much the list moves for in/out of staters.. but I know there is some definite movement on the list in general. I know @ least a couple of dozen people get in off the list each year.. if not more.. and for the first time in 26 (i believe its 26) years they expanded the class size by 10 @ uams, so they'll need more from the list quite obviously. Keep in touch, and be sure to let me know if you hear anything. It's going to be all good for you. They wouldn't have likely even considered you were you not a strong candidate, so I think you have a good shot. I have known people who found out as late as June before the school year. Talk to you soon.

-Mark

-sometimes the presence of one virture hides the absence of another.

Thanks for the replies and info everyone. Hopefully we'll all be seeing each other soon but right now its a waiting game!

Kodiak said:
Thanks for the replies and info everyone. Hopefully we'll all be seeing each other soon but right now its a waiting game!

Hi Everyone:

In 2005 there were 64 Alternates and 30 were eventually accepted. But like the previous statement, there are a certain number of seats in the entering class that must be filled by in state applicants. Also, so far the MCAT range of accepted applicants for 2006 was 24-37 and for Alternate 23-29. So if you're somewhere towards the top (27-29) chances are you'll get in of the Alternate list.

BiGArKDoC said:
Hi Everyone:

In 2005 there were 64 Alternates and 30 were eventually accepted. But like the previous statement, there are a certain number of seats in the entering class that must be filled by in state applicants. Also, so far the MCAT range of accepted applicants for 2006 was 24-37 and for Alternate 23-29. So if you're somewhere towards the top (27-29) chances are you'll get in of the Alternate list.

Are you sure those ranges are for this year? I'm on the alternate list and I got a 31...

CAPBonanza said:
Are you sure those ranges are for this year? I'm on the alternate list and I got a 31...

Maybe those were the stats for instate alternates?