Quantcast

Uams

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

waltoncj

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Jul 26, 2004
Messages
37
Reaction score
0

Members don't see this ad.
One of my friends is interviewing at uams. any advice for him at it? he interviews on the 6th
 

Discobolus

Dutch-American
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
May 31, 2004
Messages
381
Reaction score
6
There are a few of us on here. My best advice for the interview is just to relax, as they are typically not that stressful. Just be prepared to talk about yourself and your family, tell them a little bit about why you want to go into medicine and what your career goals are. That is really about it. I don't recall being asked any tough questions about ethical issues, healthcare policy, or anything like that.
 

CallawayDoc

Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Apr 6, 2004
Messages
28
Reaction score
1
i'm an m2 along with discobolus. the interview is just like everywhere else. usually 2 faculty members and a 4th year student. nothing too stressful, but it depends on who they get for that day. i did hear of some "difficult" questions, but that is not the norm.

it's a good place to be overall. as far as what they're known for, multiple myeloma would definitely be top on the list. i'm told it's one of the largest. also, they also have a good geriatrics program. i think it was ranked 8th or 9th. uams has expanded greatly during the last decade, i'll spare the details.

i'm most proud of the fact that it's pretty relaxed with genuinely good people in your class. the cut throat gunners are few. i think we have a very close class. i interviewed at several places, but was happiest with the people that were here. it has definitely helped being with people like that because the first two years are terrible wherever you go. irrelevant facts and boring books are the rule.

interviewing on the 6th?? i thought they only interviewed on the 1st saturday of the month. oh well, best of luck if it was today.

woo pig sooie...go hogs.
 

KatieJune

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Jun 10, 2002
Messages
317
Reaction score
0
Hi!
I interviewed at UAMS on the 9th. Everyone was really friendly and I am very impressed with the school! I feel like I have to wait soooo long to find out! Does anyone know when the October interviewees usually find out if they are accepted? Is it Dec. 15th or do most people have to wait until February?

waltoncj how did the interview go for you?
 

Stinger86

Intern year? Ha!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Aug 15, 2003
Messages
828
Reaction score
4
KatieJune said:
Hi!
I interviewed at UAMS on the 9th. Everyone was really friendly and I am very impressed with the school! I feel like I have to wait soooo long to find out! Does anyone know when the October interviewees usually find out if they are accepted? Is it Dec. 15th or do most people have to wait until February?


I had my interview on October 2nd a few years ago, and I had to wait until around February 15th to receive my acceptance package.

Glad you enjoyed your interview experience. As already mentioned by other posters, uams is a decent school and is relatively laid back, especially compared to most other schools around the country. Good luck!
 

Discobolus

Dutch-American
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
May 31, 2004
Messages
381
Reaction score
6
KatieJune said:
Hi!
I interviewed at UAMS on the 9th. Everyone was really friendly and I am very impressed with the school! I feel like I have to wait soooo long to find out! Does anyone know when the October interviewees usually find out if they are accepted? Is it Dec. 15th or do most people have to wait until February?

waltoncj how did the interview go for you?

The may talk about sending out acceptances on December 15, January 15, and February 15, but the truth is that very, very few people get early acceptances. I heard a rumor that they only give 1 or 2, so I don't even really understand what the point is. The good thing is that they claim acceptance letters will be SENT on February 15 and most people actually got them on the 15th, so that saves you a few days waiting! Oh, and if you have to sign for a letter on the 15th then it's an acceptance letter.
 

wantobemd

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Joined
Oct 15, 2004
Messages
22
Reaction score
0
Discobolus said:
The may talk about sending out acceptances on December 15, January 15, and February 15, but the truth is that very, very few people get early acceptances. I heard a rumor that they only give 1 or 2, so I don't even really understand what the point is. The good thing is that they claim acceptance letters will be SENT on February 15 and most people actually got them on the 15th, so that saves you a few days waiting! Oh, and if you have to sign for a letter on the 15th then it's an acceptance letter.

For the current M1 class the acceptances were mailed priority mail which does not require a signature. If the package was a large manila envelope it was an acceptance, if it was a small envelope it was wait list or rejection. They were mailed out on Friday before the 15th which was a Sunday, but the 16th was a postal holiday, so we all had an agonizing weekend. Most of us got our acceptances on Tuesday or Wednesday. Hopes this helps those waiting for those letters
 

KatieJune

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Jun 10, 2002
Messages
317
Reaction score
0
Hi,

Does anyone remember how long you have to reply if they accept you? I'm just asking because I'll be leaving the country for a while and won't be able to have anyone check my mail. Do they give you only one or two weeks and then if you don't respond drop you from the list? Thanks!
 

wantobemd

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Joined
Oct 15, 2004
Messages
22
Reaction score
0
KatieJune said:
Hi,

Does anyone remember how long you have to reply if they accept you? I'm just asking because I'll be leaving the country for a while and won't be able to have anyone check my mail. Do they give you only one or two weeks and then if you don't respond drop you from the list? Thanks!


I dug up the letter from Feb 2004. It is dated Feb 13(Friday), but this year it will probably go out on the 15th(Tuesday). It asks for a decision in writing within two weeks if you will accept your position or not. You might contact Tom South, Director of Admissions (501-686-8499) or Gloria, his assistant and let them know that you will be unavailable and for how long. If you know
that you would accept the position if offered, then I would advise them of this. You can still decide to defer or accept another offer at a later date.
 

Dr. Rosenrose

HELP
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Oct 16, 2004
Messages
99
Reaction score
0
UAMS interview is easy going. It is closed file so all they know is what you tell them. I would be honest and try to stand out from the crowd. Most applicants are carbon copies. What makes you special? Do not try to BS these people! They can smell it!
 
Top