UB (Buffalo) or Boston U? Any Suggestions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kash54

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,
I was planning on going to Boston U but I just got accepted in Buffalo today. Now I'm debating on which to choose. I just wanted some opinions on what others think. The money saving is already a HUGE factor to me. I don't care much for the Excel program BU offers, wasn't planning on doing it anyways, and the APEX program has gotten mixed reviews.
Just wanted to hear what others thought of BU vs UB
Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

I have interviewed at BU but not at UB. Out of all the schools I interviewed at, I was least impressed by BU and especially their APEX program. Also, one of my 2 interviewers during my Tufts interview was ex-BU student who had transfered.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Kash I had the exact same decision to make back in the winter. In my opinion Buffalo wins hands down in every category except for weather and Yankee fans. Even if the two schools were equal, the $200,000 difference is ridiculous. PM me if you want more details about why I chose Buff.

This is a joke right? UB hands down. Tufts beats BU in boston hands down. UB beats Tufts because of cost. I've had people in dental academia single out Buffalo as being particularly good school. Clinically Tufts and UB are probably close but UB wins because it cost so much less. BU has their work cut out. Also people may say buffalo is boring but really what are you going there for? To be a dental student not to hangout. If it were about hanging out you would be better served by going to NY or Boston.

Kash54 congratulations on you acceptance to Buffalo. I am looking for a roommate in Buffalo. The housing cost at Buffalo is very low compared to Boston. If you go to Buffalo you won't struggle as much in paying off your debt as your colleagues who chose Tufts, BU or NYU

Thanks a lot for the input! I feel a bit ridiculous now, haha
I was always under the impression that BU had a good reputation (well, it does in Canada [that's where I'm from]...might be because a lot of people from Toronto and Canada get accepted there...it's hard for us canadians to get into these state schools, haha).

But thanks again for the feedback, it's been a huge help!

BU does get more attention since it is in Boston. UB might get a mention since it is so close to toronto. I've known a canadian who went to school at BU. I think Buffalo will be a nice change of pace from the hectic big urban life since it doesn't get the ridiculous traffic issues that you get at Boston.

Hey Kash54,

Do you mind sharing your GPA/DAT scores and when you applied? I want to know because I'm on the waitlist, and I want to see what type of applicant they're taking off the list. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Buffalo. You can save 15% or more on tuition fees.

If you are NY resident, you can save even more. If in fact you are a NY resident, UB hands down!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks a lot. Looks like UB it is.

Shaq, I had a 3.8
DAT marks were:
Bio 20
Chem 20
Orgo 23
Math 19
Pat 20
Verbal 21

I should also mention that I applied pretty late (In Canada, we don't apply until December to the 9 Dental schools we have in the whole country, lol). I submitted most of my aadsas stuff around late sept and sent them all my references by mid-late october. They finished processing everything and sent out all my material to the schools i selected in mid-december. My interview was around march the 7th or 8th....hope that helps. Good Luck!

Lucky you. That late!:eek: Great decision.:thumbup:
Thanks a lot. Looks like UB it is.

Shaq, I had a 3.8
DAT marks were:
Bio 20
Chem 20
Orgo 23
Math 19
Pat 20
Verbal 21

I should also mention that I applied pretty late (In Canada, we don't apply until December to the 9 Dental schools we have in the whole country, lol). I submitted most of my aadsas stuff around late sept and sent them all my references by mid-late october. They finished processing everything and sent out all my material to the schools i selected in mid-december. My interview was around march the 7th or 8th....hope that helps. Good Luck!

ub, no doubt about it!

cheaper, better curriculum, better patient management.

the first of these three should be more than enough for you to choose the school.:)

When did you hear from Buffalo? were you wait listed? and when did you interview?

Buffalo, NY is why dentists kill themselves. I'd still go to UB, but I'd take prozac.

When did you hear from Buffalo? were you wait listed? and when did you interview?

I heard from them a couple days ago...may 28th or 29th. Yea, I was wait-listed, I interviewed on March 7th...I applied really late...around mid-october.

ok congrats on getting off the list. How did you hear from them phone or letter? and did they tell you how many people were getting off the list? How long do you have to let me know? and have you made an decisions ab where your going?

PS i will take your spot at boston HAHA ... college town USA best city ever

Last edited:
ok congrats on getting off the list. How did you hear from them phone or letter? and did they tell you how many people were getting off the list? How long do you have to let me know? and have you made an decisions ab where your going?

woops..sorry...missed the previous post.
They called me and told me. They didn't say how many people are getting off the wait list. They're giving me 10 days to send in a deposit, and I've decided to accept UB's offer...