UC, Alb, VCU, or IU?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

waterplove

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Cannot decide. please offer suggestions!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7yr NO MCAT BS/MD, 2 summers for research: Rens Polytechnic Inst/Albany Medical College
8yr NO MCAT BS/MD/MBA, 3 summers: Union College/Albany Medical College
8yr NO MCAT BS/MD/option to apply out without loosing spot: Virginia Commonwealth University/VCU School of Medicine
8yr YES MCAT (27) BS/MD: University of Cincinnati/University of Cincinnati College of Medicine
8yr YES MCAT (27) BS/MD: Miami University (OH)/University of Cincinnati College of Medicine
8yr YES MCAT (~31) BS/MD: University of Southern Indiana/Indiana University School of Medicine

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in VCU's 8 year program and I love it :thumbup: . PM me if you have any specific questions

bump

(btw thanks for the post green pirate,,,i do have some q's and i'll pm you later)

Members don't see this ad :)
I go to school in Indiana and I haven't even heard of Southern Indiana University. IU Med is a good public school, but remember that you have to spend four years in undergrad first. Go somewhere you think you can fit in and have a good time (after all, you may not have to take the MCAT, enjoy it!)...

Ah, google tells me that Southern Indiana University is in Evansville. That's not exactly the capital of modern civilization, just FYI.

I think Cincinnati and IU have the best reputations of those med schools, but go with where you feel comfortable living too--I'm not that familiar with the Midwest, but I think Cincinnati is the best place to be among the programs you mentioned.

Cannot decide. please offer suggestions!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just my $0.02, but I've heard these accelerated programs and joint programs can be pretty competitive. If that's true, you're probably capable of getting accepted to a wider range (and broader quality) of medical schools if you just go through the application process like most.

Coming from someone who looked into the USI/IU program and decided against applying...

USI is definitely not the place I would want to spend my 4 years of undergrad. It's a tiny, tiny campus because hardly anyone lives on campus. There's only like one dorm, I think. Evansville's not too exciting, either. I know that location isn't what makes the decision...but it just isn't worth it to me.

Is it harder to get the electives you want 4th year @ a larger med school? I have looked at VCU (bigger) and Albany (smaller), for example, and both have electives in things like Plastic Surgery for only one or 2 students at a time...

Is it harder to get the electives you want 4th year @ a larger med school? I have looked at VCU (bigger) and Albany (smaller), for example, and both have electives in things like Plastic Surgery for only one or 2 students at a time...

Yeah, but in my experiences so far, if you're interested in a particular field, the respective departments will do what they can to accommodate you. But I wouldn't consider this a big enough issue that it should affect your impression of a particular medical school. Talking to students about their gripes/praises of their experiences is a lot more useful.

I have a friend who turned chose the Sienna/Albany 8 year program over Cornell for just undergrad. Admittedly she's happy that she was able to get into med school without having to take the MCAT or go through the application process, but she absolutely hated Sienna, and she now rues that she cannot opt to take time off before starting at Albany next year

Plastic surgery is a bad example... Nationally there are less than 90 residency spots for everyone. There are fewer slots than there are allo schools. So those kids who get the elective are the ones the school will 'allow' to try an match plastics.

At a larger school, they will tend to have a residency in any field you are interested in. That gives you much more exposure than at a small school, and also allows for inbreeding.

I have a friend who turned chose the Sienna/Albany 8 year program over Cornell for just undergrad. Admittedly she's happy that she was able to get into med school without having to take the MCAT or go through the application process, but she absolutely hated Sienna, and she now rues that she cannot opt to take time off before starting at Albany next year

How much did she know about Siena as an undergraduate school before she chose that program?

Go to UC/UC.... I went there for undergrad! If I could have lived in the midwest for 4 more years, I would have stayed there!

You will die at MU OH.... preppy school lacking in hard sciences... much better at UC.