1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

UC Berkeley or Yale for Health Management

Discussion in 'Public Health Degrees (Masters and Doctoral)' started by shruts1116, May 10, 2008.

1. shruts1116

2+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student
    So I thought I had made my mind up to go to UC Berkeley for sure, however I was informed last week that I received a Dean’s Scholarship to Yale. The scholarship is a half tuition scholarship, so basically now UC Berkeley and Yale are the same cost. I know Berkeley is higher ranked, however I’ve been going through some old posts and it seems as if the consensus is that if you’re going into Health Management (which I am) the school name is more important than the rank.

I guess my question is, to those of you who are in or know about the business side of Public Health, would it be better to go to UC Berkeley (the higher ranked school) or go with Yale (the bigger name school)… I really like both schools a lot—campuses, administration, professors, etc. So I am having some difficulties.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/comments you’re able to give me! :)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Cster0905

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

I think a more relevant ranking would be that of MHA programs considering they are more business focused.

The 2008 US News report:

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/grad/hea/search

Berkeley's programs from the School of Public Health and Haas Business School are both ranked higher than Yale's (#9, #10 > #20).

Consider alum networks, business school reputations, and name. Fortunately, Berkeley as a great name though it is not Yale -- and never will be. Also consider where you'll be applying to jobs. Are they going to be privy of health rankings (which most health-related employers will be) or will the name on the degree mean more, even if it's Princeton and the worst-ranked program in the bunch, for example?

Also consider how happy you will be. You've already adapted to the idea of Berkeley. Would you be happier at Yale and with a last minute decision?

I'm seriously considering going to UCLA over Hopkins simply because I'd like the school and LA better; despite the fact that Hopkins is the better name and program.

4. JayZrespect

2+ Year Member

Post Doc
    I say do Yale Health Management Program because that's what I'm doing!

5. Character

5+ Year Member

YALE....i didnt apply to either school

6. buckyd

2+ Year Member

Post Doc
    I would say Yale. You take classes in the Yale School of Management with other MBA students. That is a huge plus if you are trying to find employment in the business world. Ultimately, either choice is an excellent one. I am sure you will be satisfied with either one.

7. shruts1116

2+ Year Member

Thanks for your help guys!

I'm still not decided where I'll be going for sure, but I went ahead and accepted my scholarship and turned in my deposit, so I have a little more time to decide... I'm so indecisive, lol

But again Thanks :D

8. bobdogsam43

bobdogsam43 New Member
    5+ Year Member

you are really talking about diminishing returns here in term of "bigger name"....Berkeley or yale. Do you want to study HPM in California/San Francisco Bay Area or Connecticut/New Haven.......the immediate resources and access are an obvious choice

9. shruts1116

2+ Year Member

I finally decided on Berkeley... I'm really happy with the decision :D

Now someone else can get my Dean Scholarship to Yale, you can thank me later, lol ;)

Thanks for all your responses!:love:

10. Kang

2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Wow congratulations! That gives me confidence in the fact that I am going to Michigan,which was my initial choice too :) Good Luck :)