UC Berkeley questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yungdoc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I just have a few questions about UC Berkeley's undergraduate science classes. I am already stressing pretty bad.

1) Is biochemistry a 1 semester or 1 year course?

2) How hard are Physics and Organic Chemistry classes there?

3) Would you recommend taking O.Chem 1 and Physics 1 in the same semester?

Thanks everyone!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone, I just have a few questions about UC Berkeley's undergraduate science classes. I am already stressing pretty bad.

1) Is biochemistry a 1 semester or 1 year course?

2) How hard are Physics and Organic Chemistry classes there?

3) Would you recommend taking O.Chem 1 and Physics 1 in the same semester?

Thanks everyone!!!

For questions 1 & 2, you should ask people that go to Berkeley..

As for question 3, sure. You can take OChem and Phys in the same semester--no problem.

Last edited:
For questions 1 & 2, you should ask people that go to Berkeley..

As for question 3, sure. You can take OChem and Phys in the same semester--no problem.
That's why I posted here... I was hoping premeds from Berkeley would reply.. But thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
1) Biochemistry (MCB 102) is one semester.
2) If you have taken physics in high school, the 8 series should be a breeze. As for Chem 3A/3B, I personally did not think they were difficult at all-- though, it really depends on the person.
Which leads me to 3), if you feel comfortable doing more than one pre-req at the same time, go for it. However, most people I know spread out their pre-med requirements as much as possible.

Reactions: 1 user
I've posted full Medical School preparation at UC Berkeley
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...la-usc-cal-for-pre-med.1217265/#post-18051818

1) Chem 135 and MCB 102 will satisfy the 1 semester of BioChem.
Chem 135 is "for" Chem/BioChem majors. However, not sure if it is open to everyone regardless.

------Don't trust me on my opinion *Be aware*--------
2) 8A and 8B are easier than 7 series. You are required to take one semester of Calculus before taking 8A. But 7A requires you to learn 1 year of Calculus (1A/1B). I'm sure you'll survive in Physics 8.
Not sure about Organic Chemistry. It's hard anywhere you go .... :/

3) Two science in one semester might sound like a suicide. Check the link above and see if you can finish all of them within your time frame. If you can't finish in time, it might be okay to take them simultaneously. If you have enough time, focus on Organic Chemistry I would say.

T
I've posted full Medical School preparation at UC Berkeley
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...la-usc-cal-for-pre-med.1217265/#post-18051818

1) Chem 135 and MCB 102 will satisfy the 1 semester of BioChem.
Chem 135 is "for" Chem/BioChem majors. However, not sure if it is open to everyone regardless.

------Don't trust me on my opinion *Be aware*--------
2) 8A and 8B are easier than 7 series. You are required to take one semester of Calculus before taking 8A. But 7A requires you to learn 1 year of Calculus (1A/1B). I'm sure you'll survive in Physics 8.
Not sure about Organic Chemistry. It's hard anywhere you go .... :/

3) Two science in one semester might sound like a suicide. Check the link above and see if you can finish all of them within your time frame. If you can't finish in time, it might be okay to take them simultaneously. If you have enough time, focus on Organic Chemistry I would say.
Thank you so much for the reply. I took one semester of calculus like 3 years ago and I basically forgot it all. Would that be a huge problem for the 8 series? Would it be okay if I just reviewed some basic concepts before beginning the 8 series? Is there a non-calculus based physics series?

thank you!!

T

Thank you so much for the reply. I took one semester of calculus like 3 years ago and I basically forgot it all. Would that be a huge problem for the 8 series? Would it be okay if I just reviewed some basic concepts before beginning the 8 series? Is there a non-calculus based physics series?

thank you!!

Yeah, you'll survive. Also, a caveat: I believe 8A and 8B are curved.

In Physics 8A Fall of 2014

Professor Shokair's 8A:
Out of 223,
12 students got A+
41 students got A
11 students got A-

Professor Deweese's 8A:
Out of 361,
16 students got A+
73 students got A
14 students got A-

Also, see for yourself :)

Professor Deweese's Physic 8A:

Ah, there is a syllabus right there. Nice.

These are sample lectures on youtube. There are more if you follow the title and search it for yourself.
Also, you might want to study Trig and Calculus again. Just enough to understand the material. Watch this video and find out what you need to study. Unfortunately for UCLA and UC Berkeley, all Physics are Calculus based.

Last edited:
Lastly, have you taken Stats?
Don't go and be tenuous about what you remember and don't remember in Calculus.
Just take Math 10A and 10B. It'll fulfill the Stats requirement. Also, you'll get Trig and Calculus memory refreshed.

Just take Math 10A and 10B. It'll fulfill the Stats requirement. Also, you'll get Trig and Calculus memory refreshed.
I will start brushing up now! I have taken a semester of stats, will that fulfill the requirement?

Sorry to overload you with questions, but how many weeks is the longest session during summer for physics? is there a 10 week session??

There is Summer 2016 8 Week Session for Phys 8A.
BUT it's already August. It's too late, I'm afraid :(
There are only 8 week sessions for Physics 8 series and 7 series.

If you took Stats, then it's not worth taking Math 10A and 10B. You've fulfilled it.
Khan Academy and free online sources will fresh your memory as well :)
Like Stanford, UC Berkeley, MIT... there are free lectures. So use that!

Last edited: