UC Berkeley Transfer to lower tier UC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a UC Berkeley MCB major with a 3.66 gpa. I am doing fine in the academics, but I know that I could be doing way better if it wasn't for the premed atmosphere, well actually the atmosphere in general. I enjoy academics, but I don't think college is solely about academics. People here are too serious, and I think that is really affecting my ability to have a good time here while staying on top academically. I think a lower tier UC like UCSC or UCSB would provide a better social environment than Berkeley, and this will allow me to in turn do better academically.

Looking at medical school statistics if I worked really hard to get a 3.8 with my other premed classes (this would be the best possible scenario), Med schools wouldn't care about the prestige of the college anyway, and I would be left with an terrible experience where I could have gotten the same gpa at a school I liked.

So I am honestly considering transferring to other schools particularly UCSC, a place that's really laid back, where teachers actually write evaluations for their students in addition to grades.

But my main concern is will Med schools understand that I needed a different environment in order to reach my full potential, or would they take that as weakness? My other option is just going to community college and waiting till senior year instead of transferring, but then I don't think I would get the full legitimate college experience. Can anyone help me who may have experience with this type of issue or may have any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

I am a UC Berkeley MCB major with a 3.66 gpa. I am doing fine in the academics, but I know that I could be doing way better if it wasn't for the premed atmosphere, well actually the atmosphere in general. I enjoy academics, but I don't think college is solely about academics. People here are too serious, and I think that is really affecting my ability to have a good time here while staying on top academically. I think a lower tier UC like UCSC or UCSB would provide a better social environment than Berkeley, and this will allow me to in turn do better academically.

Looking at medical school statistics if I worked really hard to get a 3.8 with my other premed classes (this would be the best possible scenario), Med schools wouldn't care about the prestige of the college anyway, and I would be left with an terrible experience where I could have gotten the same gpa at a school I liked.

So I am honestly considering transferring to other schools particularly UCSC, a place that's really laid back, where teachers actually write evaluations for their students in addition to grades.

But my main concern is will Med schools understand that I needed a different environment in order to reach my full potential, or would they take that as weakness? My other option is just going to community college and waiting till senior year instead of transferring, but then I don't think I would get the full legitimate college experience. Can anyone help me who may have experience with this type of issue or may have any advice?

I understand not enjoying your classmates. I started off as biology major in undergrad but hated the gunner pre-med attitude of my fellow students. It was all about school and getting that A at all costs. I still loved the school so I changed majors to exercise physiology and was so much happier. It all went much better after that.

Undergrad location doesn't really matter. Go where you think you will be most successful within a reasonable price range.

I understand not enjoying your classmates. I started off as biology major in undergrad but hated the gunner pre-med attitude of my fellow students. It was all about school and getting that A at all costs. I still loved the school so I changed majors to exercise physiology and was so much happier. It all went much better after that.

Undergrad location doesn't really matter. Go where you think you will be most successful within a reasonable price range.

I agree with this statement. My advice too would be to look into a different major after you have completed your pre-reqs for medical school. I personally know how you feel, I was once a fellow MCB student at Berkeley.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree that med schools aren't going to care where you did your undergrad. However, in this case they are going to ask you why you transferred during your interviews. I think you could sell it by saying something like "it really wasn't an environment I felt I could succeed in" or something along that line, however, it is a thin line between that and "it was to hard/competitive and I wanted to make sure I had a good GPA so I went to another school" just be very leery you don't give the latter impression!

Survivor DO

It'll look funny if you switch from a higher tier school downwards. Believe me it doesn't look good for your application.

It'll look funny if you switch from a higher tier school downwards. Believe me it doesn't look good for your application.

False. No one will care. Apps from UCSC don't get tossed on the junk heap because they're from UCSC, just like bright golden light doesn't emanate from the inside of an application from Berkeley like its got Marcellus Wallace's soul inside or something. Go where you'll be happier, won't hold you back.

I am just so frustrated with students who are not actually interested in biology, but are there for the prestige of the school and to just to get good grades. Academics by itself is not a problem, but the environment is and this is affecting my level of happiness. And I predict that this lack of happiness will make be less successful in my next two years. You don't think Adcoms would understand that?

Reactions: 1 user
Transfer if you can. The main thing is to be happy. Most likely your GPA will go up, but don't let this backfire and start partying and have your GPA go down. All the UCs have an intellectual, academic atmosphere, but some care more about having fun. Just don't get caught up in having fun. I went to UCSB, and sometimes I wish I chose a more serious school. Although I wouldn't trade my experiences there for anything, and would move back there to retire if I could.

*cough* I think UCI is a good balance of fun and serious *cough*

151617 what year are you? Did you just finish your Freshman or Sophomore year? I would recommend against switching to a different UC, instead switch your major. Definitely don't go to a community college. At Berkeley, only take the core pre-med classes and some upper division ones but don't stay with the MCB major. You're right, at Cal the MCB kids and pre-med classes have a bad atmosphere where people are competitive and only study to get the grades, not to actually learn the material. Outside of that major you'll find a ton that have laid-back students learning things they're personally interested in. For example, Psychiatry students at Cal are in general more chill, like to party not just study all the time, have fun classes and it's so much easier to get A's and boost your GPA. Schools don't care what major you are, as long as your GPA is high and you take all the requirements. I would rather get a whatever degree from UC Berkeley (which has carried a lot of weight on the interview trail, I've noticed) than from another UC.

I agree that med schools aren't going to care where you did your undergrad. However, in this case they are going to ask you why you transferred during your interviews. I think you could sell it by saying something like "it really wasn't an environment I felt I could succeed in" or something along that line, however, it is a thin line between that and "it was to hard/competitive and I wanted to make sure I had a good GPA so I went to another school" just be very leery you don't give the latter impression!

Survivor DO

I second this point. This is an important perception to be aware of when making your decision. Not that it should necessarily stop you, but something to review.

My other option is just going to community college and waiting till senior year instead of transferring

Definitely do not do this. There is nothing wrong with starting at CC and transferring but you do not want to go the other way around!

Members don't see this ad :)
I would stay in Berkeley.

You'll find those type of students everywhere you go. Even in medical school. Just don't associate with them.

Through interacting with California applicants, I've gotten the impression that in the eyes of med schools, there's really no such thing as a low tier UC. The state of California just has so many young smart people that the entire UC system is saturated with great students. I wouldn't imagine that transferring from Cal, though a fantastic school, would ultimately break you much in the med school application process.

Through interacting with California applicants, I've gotten the impression that in the eyes of med schools, there's really no such thing as a low tier UC. The state of California just has so many young smart people that the entire UC system is saturated with great students. I wouldn't imagine that transferring from Cal, though a fantastic school, would ultimately break you much in the med school application process.

Correct.

While all the UCs are good, it still seems like it would raise questions to transfer from one that is harder to get into to one that is measurably easier to get into. Even if you have a legitimate reason for doing it, wouldn't it be better not to have them wondering about why you did it? I'm not an adcom, but upon learning that someone transferred from UC Berkeley to UCSC, my assumption would be that they are not comfortable in competitive environments. Anyway, it seems like it would be more circumspect to switch majors than to transfer to another school.

I think if you switch majors you will find what you are looking for, transferring schools seems drastic. I did Chemical Biology in the college of Chem at UC Berkeley because I hated the gunner/all about the grades not about the learning vibe in MCB. This however, was not kind to my GPA (I'm a nontrad so I wasn't guarding my precious gpa back then--fool that I am). Check out ESPM or CNR for a gunner free science major you could do Molecular Toxicology or any number of medically applicable majors there . Cal is huge and you can find all sorts of people there. In terms of the non-academic part of college I had an amazing time and learned a lot living in the co-ops. Might not be your cup of tea, but there are real opportunities for leadership in addition to crazy fun times.

Last edited:
While all the UCs are good, it still seems like it would raise questions to transfer from one that is harder to get into to one that is measurably easier to get into. Even if you have a legitimate reason for doing it, wouldn't it be better not to have them wondering about why you did it? I'm not an adcom, but upon learning that someone transferred from UC Berkeley to UCSC, my assumption would be that they are not comfortable in competitive environments. Anyway, it seems like it would be more circumspect to switch majors than to transfer to another school.

No. Switching from one UC to another does not matter. OP should decide what will make him/her happiest and the most successful student whether that's switching majors, transferring schools, or staying put. Whatever you choose it won't negatively impact your chances for medical school acceptance.

We don't overthink it!

Definitely transfer to UCSB if you think you will have a better time there. Like it has been said before, med schools don't really care where you get your undergrad and all the UC's are top knotch in regards to producing amazing students. Don't miss out on having an amazing college experience if you wish not to change majors.

As an MCB major at Berkeley who just graduated, I'm really confused. Yes, premed people can be obnoxious and yes, MCB classes can be annoyingly competitive and all the upper divs are curved just like premed lower divs - but i only made a very small amount of friends from classes. Berkeley is full of fun non super serious people - there are the co-ops, frats, many student orgs, sports clubs, etc. If you feel like people are too serious and you don't like the social scene, it's likely because you're only looking within MCB and not putting yourself out there enough in other ways. When you transfer to another UC, similar types of people will be in your premed classes and if you're not putting yourself out there to meet people in other ways you'll still be unhappy.

And with MCB - do not major in it unless you LOVE the MCB material. The setup and curving of the classes was very annoying, but it was fine because I loved the science. Most people do it because they think it's what premeds should major in and that is a huge mistake.

Your GPA may go up if you transfer, but it won't be because it's more fun - it might be because some of the lower tier UCs are a bit easier. I know a few people who've transferred in the other direction from lower UCs for premed (and non pre-med) who still had some premed courses left to take and all said it was much harder at Cal - partially the material but mostly the curve. Transferring may very well raise your GPA for this reason. It may be also good to consider that if you transfer to UCSC or UCSB fro Cal, and decide not to go to medical school, the prestige difference between Cal and lower UCs could affect what you choose to do instead.

Shouldn't be a problem as long as your grades don't drop. Also be prepared to explain it well.

*cough* I think UCI is a good balance of fun and serious *cough*

I know buddies who would completely disagree. UCI has a reputation of a being a conservative, gunner school. Great school, though, just not much different from what he's describing.

I second the suggestion of adding a major. I double majored in the humanities. It really changed the way I now look at the world. Plus, it gave me a chance to meet some incredible people and something unique to talk about during interviews. Changing school is a big, big move. I know many happy non-MCB graduates of Berkeley. Do some research and find out what else you're interested in.

151617 what year are you? Did you just finish your Freshman or Sophomore year? I would recommend against switching to a different UC, instead switch your major. Definitely don't go to a community college. At Berkeley, only take the core pre-med classes and some upper division ones but don't stay with the MCB major. You're right, at Cal the MCB kids and pre-med classes have a bad atmosphere where people are competitive and only study to get the grades, not to actually learn the material. Outside of that major you'll find a ton that have laid-back students learning things they're personally interested in. For example, Psychiatry students at Cal are in general more chill, like to party not just study all the time, have fun classes and it's so much easier to get A's and boost your GPA. Schools don't care what major you are, as long as your GPA is high and you take all the requirements. I would rather get a whatever degree from UC Berkeley (which has carried a lot of weight on the interview trail, I've noticed) than from another UC.

I just finished my sophomore year at Cal. If I was to transfer I would have to most likely apply in November and wait a year at community college before next fall unless I can get in through connections for UCSC this fall. Unfortunately, there is no winter enrollment for next year. I also cannot change my major too drastically because I already have 54 units. So if I stay, I'll plan on doing Integrative biology, a major that focuses more on evolution and ecology, but still has classes like physiology and anatomy for the human biology emphasis. I might add on a psychology major too as I am interested in psychiatry. Hopefully these majors will have a better environment, but honestly I think the core pre med classes are the classes with the bad environment. I just wish there was a way to take these classes somewhere else while still being at Berkeley. If I stay at Berkeley, I will definitely look for other places to socialize.

I just finished my sophomore year at Cal. If I was to transfer I would have to most likely apply in November and wait a year at community college before next fall unless I can get in through connections for UCSC this fall. Unfortunately, there is no winter enrollment for next year. I also cannot change my major too drastically because I already have 54 units. So if I stay, I'll plan on doing Integrative biology, a major that focuses more on evolution and ecology, but still has classes like physiology and anatomy for the human biology emphasis. I might add on a psychology major too as I am interested in psychiatry. Hopefully these majors will have a better environment, but honestly I think the core pre med classes are the classes with the bad environment. I just wish there was a way to take these classes somewhere else while still being at Berkeley. If I stay at Berkeley, I will definitely look for other places to socialize.

hey man, i just graduated from berkeley mcb here. the department is bad, the students are cutthroat and rabid, and i understand what you feel completely. however, dont let mcb get to you. you're at one of the greatest schools in the world, with some of the most compassionate, creative, progressive students/professors anywhere. explore stuff, have fun, take classes in the humanities and social sciences. take reich's wealth and poverty before you graduate. mcb at the end of the day provides the most rigorous and legitimate biology training on campus; just don't let the people get to you.

i got through mcb and barely interacted with the people in it, while enjoying many of the classes. the premeds at berkeley are sure special, but people like them exist everywhere. they will be at sc, they will be at privates, and many will definitely be in medical school.

i wouldn't transfer to ucsc, because it puts a big question mark on your application that will take a lot of time to explain - time better spent talking about your interests and other qualifications. it looks really bad transferring down from the #1 public school in the world to a much easier school. just try to enjoy your time at berkeley and say no to the toxic atmosphere of mcb.

Your mental health and happiness are serious considerations. Since you will still be going to a fine university at any of the UC schools, I say go for it.

Like others have said, I would bet money your issues are with pre meds, not the school. I went to a very fun (and known for being fun) California school, but when I was around pre meds I hated life every day. Thank zombie Jesus I was in a major outside of the med school rat race. Pick a different major (anything not bio related) after you're done with the pre reqs and you'll be a lot happier. You're going to find the same obnoxious pre meds no matter what school you go to. If you transfer but stay in bio, you're going to be disappointed.

premeds just need to stop doing MCB at Cal. It is an overrated, cutthroat major. Just do something else like spanish, or music, or whatever you like and do the pre-med science classes. So much better experience and you will come out more well rounded.

Just in case future Cal students read this, I've really enjoyed my upper-division MCB courses. The courses not only teach you the material, but challenge you to think of how that knowledge was discovered. For those doing wet-lab bench research at Cal, these courses really supplemented their research projects. But of course, you must enjoy subject material in order to enjoy MCB.

OP, likely you've only taken the pre-reqs, which are required for all pre-meds. In my upper-div MCB coures, I've met some really cool people who are going to grad school, pursuing research, or going to do teaching. Yes, MCB majors are extremely driven. You would be if you pick arguably the hardest biology major at Cal. But I wouldn't call them rabid or cutthroat.

A lot of the MCB majors I know take on a minor or take humanities courses to gain another perspective. The advice I would give is to take courses that you are genuinely interested in. Do not worry too much about protecting your GPA, otherwise you would be missing out on a lot of amazing classes. There's always the P/NP option.

Just in case future Cal students read this, I've really enjoyed my upper-division MCB courses. The courses not only teach you the material, but challenge you to think of how that knowledge was discovered. For those doing wet-lab bench research at Cal, these courses really supplemented their research projects. But of course, you must enjoy subject material in order to enjoy MCB.

OP, likely you've only taken the pre-reqs, which are required for all pre-meds. In my upper-div MCB coures, I've met some really cool people who are going to grad school, pursuing research, or going to do teaching. Yes, MCB majors are extremely driven. You would be if you pick arguably the hardest biology major at Cal. But I wouldn't call them rabid or cutthroat.

A lot of the MCB majors I know take on a minor or take humanities courses to gain another perspective. The advice I would give is to take courses that you are genuinely interested in. Do not worry too much about protecting your GPA, otherwise you would be missing out on a lot of amazing classes. There's always the P/NP option.

P/NP all the things, man

I kind of did the opposite and went from UCSC to UCLA, but in the grand scheme of things, I don't really think it matters and many think of the UCs as a "whole." One thing to consider though is that UCSC doesn't have a hospital nearby-- I didn't have a car while I was there and it was a pain in the ass bussing to a free clinic to get some experience.

I personally didn't see much difference in the rigor of the classes at UCLA vs UCSC. I majored in Neuroscience at both and had almost identical GPAs at both schools. I noticed UCSC actually curves lower, I was in the top 5% of a bio class there once and got a B+ which drove me crazy.

Best of luck! UCSC is a gorgeous campus, definitely good for the mental health.

Reactions: 1 user