UC Davis, I hate you

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dopaminesurge

My friends calls me Steve
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's up with this secondary? It's awful. It's the only one so far I can't bring myself to complete. Is Stanford out? Duke?

Members don't see this ad.

Ah, you're not alone, dopaminesurge. I haven't received Stanford or Duke's secondaries yet.

dopaminesurge said:
What's up with this secondary? It's awful. It's the only one so far I can't bring myself to complete. Is Stanford out? Duke?

dopaminesurge said:

I hear Duke's is even worse.

Members don't see this ad :)
What da problem is?

dopaminesurge said:

No wonder you didnt get into medical school, you whine too much :sleep:
Writing a total of around 6000 characters for multiple essays really isn’t that bad. :rolleyes:

What's the deal wiht the "optional" second part of the application? THey say it's optional, but it's used as part of the screening process. Isn't that contradictory?

narc said:
Writing a total of around 6000 characters for multiple essays really isn’t that bad. :rolleyes:

AH KILL YOU!

isnt it only 3 600 character essays? thats not too bad. the 6000 character one is jsut for Physician Scientist Traning Program (PSTP)

narc said:

lol, be nice...we all know how stressful the process is, and even the best of us crack from time to time. oh yeah, and duke's secondary is a beast. have fun doing those! :cool:

top said:
lol, be nice...we all know how stressful the process is, and even the best of us crack from time to time. oh yeah, and duke's secondary is a beast. have fun doing those! :cool:

I’ve finished 32 secondaries. I have no respect for someone who pisses and moans about 10 essays 600 characters in length.

narc said:
I’ve finished 32 secondaries. I have no respect for someone who pisses and moans about 10 essays 600 characters in length.

hey everyone relax, some people are trolls...who happen to lie alot..

narc said:

I'm pretty sure you've been drinking hater-ade.

Zoom-Zoom said:
I'm pretty sure you've been drinking hater-ade.

No, i think it was a can of no-tolerance-for-stupid-ass-people-ade. Thank you very much. +pity+

Members don't see this ad :)
narc said:
No, i think it was a can of no-tolerance-for-stupid-ass-people-ade. Thank you very much. +pity+

Someone's written a little too many secondaries lately...

narc said:

no one made you apply to 32 schools.

in fact, aren't there diminishing returns once you apply to over like 20?

coco11 said:
no one made you apply to 32 schools.

in fact, aren't there diminishing returns once you apply to over like 20?

Last I checked I didnt say anyone forced me to apply to that many.
I just think it is a tad stupid to start a new thread complaing about writing a few short essays for UC Davis.

And as far as the diminishing returns. I am not sure where you are getting that from.

Woah! I don't think she's really whining all that much, and yes, UC Davis' is the worst thing ever. I did it last cycle, and I've said it before, and I'll say it again, it is SNEAKY! The way it tricks you into thinking you're done, and then sneaks all those "optional" short essay in! :eek: GOSH! :D

But really, what's with all the negativity?! :thumbdown:

narc said:
I just think it is a tad stupid to start a new thread complaing about writing a few short essays for UC Davis.

And as far as the diminishing returns. I am not sure where you are getting that from.

butmylipshurtrealbad said:
Woah! I don't think she's really whining all that much, and yes, UC Davis' is the worst thing ever. I did it last cycle, and I've said it before, and I'll say it again, it is SNEAKY! The way it tricks you into thinking you're done, and then sneaks all those "optional" short essay in! :eek: GOSH! :D

But really, what's with all the negativity?! :thumbdown:
WHAT'S WITH ALL THE NEGATIVITY?????

Hypocrite!!!!

I really didn't think UC Davis was all that bad. I thought Loyola's was worse. 600 Characters is barely a paragraph. Get over it you guys.

:) I was reffering to the negativity towards each other in previous posts, not to the reactions to Davis' secondary (to which I admit I was a little whiny myself, but if you can't vent here, where can you?) Good luck boys and girls:)

narc said:

Oh, I thought you were joking with that first post. So you seriously called me whiny, stupid and said you have no respect for me on the basis of this thread alone? What a wonderful person. So accepting, supportive and intent on making others feel good. I'm really glad you're entering the medical profession. Your future patients are lucky.

dopaminesurge said:
Oh, I thought you were joking with that first post. So you seriously called me whiny, stupid and said you have no respect for me on the basis of this thread alone? What a wonderful person. So accepting, supportive and intent on making others feel good. I'm really glad you're entering the medical profession. Your future patients are lucky.

At least i dont feel the need to pad my application with trips to other countries just so I have some bull$hit "life experiences" to talk about in the interview. :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

Not to mention, you are already bitching about writing 5 lines for an essay. I can't wait to see how you are dealing with loads of paperwork. That will be a fun one to watch. :rolleyes:

narc said:
At least i dont feel the need to pad my application with trips to other countries just so I have some bull$hit "life experiences" to talk about in the interview. :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

Not to mention, you are already bitching about writing 5 lines for an essay. I can't wait to see how you are dealing with loads of paperwork. That will be a fun one to watch. :rolleyes:

Israel's my birthland. And you can feel free to watch me if it's fun for you. I don't mind. Many people do.

narc said:

wow, uncalled for. way to resort to personal attacks.

coco11 said:
wow, uncalled for. way to resort to personal attacks.
I concur, totally uncalled for.

edit: on the other hand, does UC Davis screen? just so i don't do all the essays for fun...

narc said:

Geez, it isn't fun writing essays and going through this process, and the OP, like others, would feel better knowing others are going through the same thing. Cut the guy a break. Why the personal attacks? Hard to believe you want to be a doctor when you act that way towards people.

narc said:

Your ignorance is beyond comprehension.

Teee said:
I concur, totally uncalled for.

edit: on the other hand, does UC Davis screen? just so i don't do all the essays for fun...

Yes, they're screeners.
Thanks for the encouraging words, guys. I never quite understood why some people enjoy trying to make others feel bad. Maybe he was beaten by the nuns as a child.

dopaminesurge said:
Yes, they're screeners.
Thanks for the encouraging words, guys. I never quite understood why some people enjoy trying to make others feel bad. Maybe he was beaten by the nuns as a child.

I for one, feel you on the secondaries.

Lot's of them are absolute BS questions that will undoubtedly get BS answers (e.g. Why do you want to come here?). With a PS and up to 15 activities described, I think a good chuck of the secondaries are redundant and probably only skimmed over. Let's face it, the interview will be the deciding factor in the end, not a response to a lame, contrived question.

Can I get a BOOOO on secondaries?

dopaminesurge said:
Yes, they're screeners.

i don't see why so many people on this site resort to attacking you all the time.

.....oh wait. i do. they're just jealous.

I'll second the boo to secondaries, and I say, complain all you want! It's weird, I took a lttle break from SDN while out of town, and since logging back on it seems that there is a lot more negativity and personal attacks going on lately; maybe it's just the beginning of a new cycle? Or maybe I just read two yucky threads in a row? I don't know, but dopamine, I think you are going to rock this cycle, and you definitely deserve it :) Contact me if you come to NYC! And good luck to everyone else too! (sorry for the cheesiness, but I felt like this thread needed some :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: indstead of :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: )

Yeah, Narc is a tool who can't take a joke-thread. It's obvious he/she is jealous of dopamine: Narc= 31Q, 8V, 11PS, 12BS according to a previous post.

Stop being a clown, Narc

butmylipshurtrealbad said:
I'll second the boo to secondaries, and I say, complain all you want! It's weird, I took a lttle break from SDN while out of town, and since logging back on it seems that there is a lot more negativity and personal attacks going on lately; maybe it's just the beginning of a new cycle? Or maybe I just read two yucky threads in a row? I don't know, but dopamine, I think you are going to rock this cycle, and you definitely deserve it :) Contact me if you come to NYC! And good luck to everyone else too! (sorry for the cheesiness, but I felt like this thread needed some :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: indstead of :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: )

Hot. Hopefully one of the three will take me for an interview :)

Lanced said:
I for one, feel you on the secondaries.

Lot's of them are absolute BS questions that will undoubtedly get BS answers (e.g. Why do you want to come here?). With a PS and up to 15 activities described, I think a good chuck of the secondaries are redundant and probably only skimmed over. Let's face it, the interview will be the deciding factor in the end, not a response to a lame, contrived question.

Can I get a BOOOO on secondaries?

God yeah. In retrospect I can't believe how much BS i came up in with in my essays when I got those "why do you want to come here" essay questions. I had to do tons of searching on websites to find out some BS answer about their curriculum. The reality was "I picked you because you are a top 20 school. I know nothing about you." That probably wouldn't have worked that well :) Looking at my answers to some of these, i am embarassed i had to spew so much crap

narc said:

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd!!!!

Mind your own business and then you wont get so pissy over miniscule things.

Do what you do and keep moving instead of hating on someone else!

I think Davis was the worst from last cycle.

Btw, davis is a complete crap shoot. I knew tons of people who had great GPA and MCAT and were not invited for interview. It's like if you have 1 UC interview... you wouldn't get another unless you're an amazing applicant.

I hate UC Davis as well. (well obviously)

Also, I did as many secondaries as Norc... I understand how ppl who have done 8 and moan about it are weaklings. How are you going to do your 80hr rotations if you keep up this annoying habit?

dopaminesurge said:

I totally feel you on that one. I am starting med school this fall and i remember that ucdavis was one of the most annoying. I thought i was done with the essays when i saw a little section asking for some more "optional" essays even though it would be used for initial screening,
Anyways, i did it somehow, did not care much about the quality and i got an interview invite. I declined though.
Good luck to you though