UC Davis Predicament/Question.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Salacious Crumb

Kowakian monkey-lizard
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I interviewed at Davis and loved it. I am currently holding one waitlist and am being considered for acceptance at another school.

BUT, I have one last course to take to meet all of Davis’ requirements. This course must be completed by the first week in June. One of my professors has reluctantly agreed to teach an independent study course so that I could matriculate at Davis if it was necessary. However, the professor does not want to teach a special summer course just for me if he doesn’t have to. I doubt I will hear from Davis about an acceptance before the class would have to have started.

I don’t know what to do. The professor that has agreed to teach the class wrote one of my science letters and since there is ~50% chance I won’t get in, I will need him to write me another letter. I don’t want to irritate him. Also, this is an upper division CHEM Course that is usually spread out into three months that I would be cramming into a little less than one month. I have a career and work 50hr/wk. I am afraid I might get a mediocre grade in the course if I take it under these circumstances, which will, again, hurt my chances for reapplication in the likely event that Davis does not accept me.

Question One: Does anyone know for certain that Davis offers conditional acceptances (accepted, but you must complete the req. before matriculation)?
Question Two: What should I do?

TIA!

Members don't see this ad.

So, I interviewed at Davis and loved it. I am currently holding one waitlist and am being considered for acceptance at another school.

Question One: Does anyone know for certain that Davis offers conditional acceptances (accepted, but you must complete the req. before matriculation

Yes, I have a conditional acceptance based on finishing two class requirements for entrance this semester. hope that helps!

Question One: Does anyone know for certain that Davis offers conditional acceptances (accepted, but you must complete the req. before matriculation)?
Yep. I had one of those. I had to re-do two courses (Davis doesn't accept online learning for prereqs) and I didn't find out until at an April interview.
Question Two: What should I do?
It becomes a how-bad-do-you-want-Davis question. Are you willing to quit or reduce your job, scramble to get a course, possibly alienate a LOR writer on the chance that you'll get accepted.

I rolled the dice and did just that. Finishing up MSI and couldn't be happier. It's going to be your call.

Members don't see this ad :)
What's the pre-req you're missing?

will they allow you to take it online? a friend of mine also has to finish biochem before his med school starts and they are letting him take it online

will they allow you to take it online? a friend of mine also has to finish biochem before his med school starts and they are letting him take it online
Definitely not. I had to scramble to retake two courses because they were online learning (which Davis doesn't accept for any prereqs).

Definitely not. I had to scramble to retake two courses because they were online learning (which Davis doesn't accept for any prereqs).

When did you complete them by?

If they would give me until the end of June it would change this whole situation entirely.

As far as I know, Biochem is a highly recommended pre-req but not a requirement for matriculation.

On their website, it clearly states that biochem is recommended but not required.

If they would give me until the end of June it would change this whole situation entirely.
If you can't complete the course until end-of-June, I'd call and make an appointment to speak to Mr. Dagang. Explain that you're willing to drop everything to do the course even on the prospect of an acceptance, but you can't finish until _____. Worst he can say is "no", in which case you'll be no worse off.
On their website, it clearly states that biochem is recommended but not required.
Davis doesn't (didn't?) require Biochem. But Davis does require an upper division science course. I'll bet this is what Salicious is referring to.

When did you complete these two courses?

TIA!

Around the June timeframe.

If you're hurting for the deadline, call and ask. The worst thing he can do is say no...

I'll see if I can't work up the courage to ask Ed. I don't want to jepordize my chances. Thank you for all your responses NDY.

CART MASTER: Ninepence. DEAD PERSON: I'm not dead! CART MASTER: What? CUSTOMER: Nothing. Here's your ninepence. DEAD PERSON: I'm not dead! CART MASTER: 'Ere. He says he's not dead! CUSTOMER: Yes, he is. DEAD PERSON: I'm not! CART MASTER: He isn't? CUSTOMER: Well, he will be soon. He's very ill. DEAD PERSON: I'm getting better! CUSTOMER: No, you're not. You'll be stone dead in a moment. ... DEAD PERSON: I think I'll go for a walk. CUSTOMER: You're not fooling anyone, you know. Look. Isn't there something you can do? DEAD PERSON: [singing] I feel happy. I feel happy. [whop] CUSTOMER: Ah, thanks very much. CART MASTER: Not at all. See you on Thursday.