UC Davis...screening?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ken

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is UC Davis screening for secondaries this year?

Members don't see this ad.

ALL the UCs screen, including this year. The letter I recieved along with my secondary from UC Davis made a mention that only those that will be considered further were sent a secondary.

jmejia1 is right. Davis e-mailed me asking me to mail or fax a copy of my MCAT score report. About a week after I sent it in, my secondary arrived. They are all screening.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard it straight from the horse's mouth, from a member of the UCD adcom. They are screening. He said that if your stats are better than a certain cutoff, though, you are automatically sent a secondary. Of course, he didn't say what that cutoff was.

Have you guys that received 2daries had your verified AMCAS app received? They've got my Davis app w/a copy of my Aug MCATs, and I'm fairly certain that they've got an unverified AMCAS app as well. I'm pretty sure that my scores (35) will get me a 2dary, but I don't know what they have to have before they screen. :eek:

The UCs, most definitely, give out secondaries without verification. I got them long before I was verified, except for SD which took forever. There really would have been no reason for the UC app if they all waited for verification. What I'd like to know, if any of you have it, is how many secondaries the respective UCs send out...

Since most of the UCs just plug your scores and GPA into a formula and if you're above the threshold you get a 2dary there probably isn't a set limit. They can cut and gut after the 2dary, right?

UCSF usually sends out 1200 secondaries of 5000 applicants. They then interview around 600 and make offers to around 300 to fill their class. I think 900-1200 secondaries go out at each UC.

I got secondaries from UCSD and UCD before I was verified and UCLA and UCI within days of being verified.

If i recall, we had a talk with one of the UCSF adcom members. The cut off for GPA was a 3.0. And probably a 26(check that please) for MCAT. Its pretty generous(thank god). This was from last year.

I would think UCD and hte rest of the UCs are the same. They do indeed screen, but i don't know the specifics. Kinda embarassing since i go to UCD. But then again, i'm not applying this year=) Good luck to all!

hm...that 3.0 and 26 doesn't seem to jive with 1200 out of 5000. I would be very surprised if only 1200 people had a 26 and 3.0

I would have to agree with you on that, even though thats what the guy said. The reality is though, to go into more depth on the subject, UCSF also looks at the extracurriculars of people who don't make the GPA/MCAT cut. Using an extreme example, if you had a 2.5, but you spent 5 years doing aid work overseas, and god knows what else. They'd still give you a secondary.

So perhaps in addition to the screening, they'll also see if you have some......."other" requirements? Thats my take on this.

The #s on UCSF are correct, per one of their admissions people I talked to; however, the range is not 900-1200 across the board at all of the UCs (a little bad info on my earlier post) UCLA's website said they sent out 3000 secondaries last year.

Wow, this whole UCSF numbers thing make absolutely no sense to me. My numbers are way above 3.0 and 26 (3.5 from UCD and 34 to be exact) and they rejected me. Oh well. Guess it just shows what a crapshoot this really is at times.

Wow, this whole UCSF numbers thing make absolutely no sense to me. My numbers are way above 3.0 and 26 (3.5 from UCD and 34 to be exact) and they rejected me. Oh well. Guess it just shows what a crapshoot this really is at times.