UC Davis undergraduate students out there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

indianjatt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any other UCD students out there who can give me feedback on the school in general, the courses, difficulty, pre-med, etc. :laugh: I will be attending Davis in the fall and therefore I am trying to get different perspectives and information before I matriculate. ;)

THANKS for all your help.!

Members don't see this ad.

Are there any other UCD students out there who can give me feedback on the school in general, the courses, difficulty, pre-med, etc. :laugh: I will be attending Davis in the fall and therefore I am trying to get different perspectives and information before I matriculate. ;)

THANKS for all your help.!

Hi, and congratulations on UC Davis!

I'm currently a sophomore right now and was actually accepted into the College of Ags for my freshman year... and I have to say, although I'm premed, I'm an Environmental Toxicology major =).

I love Davis. A lot of people complain that it's in the middle of nowhere, there's nothing to do and it constantly smells like cow (that's mainly if you end up dorming in Tercero). However, I think that Davis is one of the best places for premeds because we also have many resources. Not that we *don't* have a large premed body... but I can safely say we're less cutthroat than lots of other places.

We have a wonderful Internship and Career Center and places like the UC Davis Medical Center and Sutter Davis Hospital for those who seek volunteer positions/internships. I have a premed friend in Berkeley who constantly complains about the shortage of such opportunities, so I always feel happy to know that Davis has so many opportunities students can take advantage of.

We also have an awesome pre-med club called Pre-Med AMSA. I advocate the club strongly because as a lost and forlorn freshman not knowing what direction to turn to, this club and their workshops really gave me guidance that ultimately led to my decision to become a premed student.

Your first year is going to be filled with classes like calculus and general chemistry. Most basic lower-div science classes are going to be packed- I'd say around 400 students? It takes time to get used to and competition can be fierce, but it gets better during your sophomore year. These classes are meant to be "weeder" classes, so don't be too discouraged!

The campus is nice and flat and great for biking ;). Everyone is nice and relaxed around here, and it's altogether a very great place to do your undergrad.

I hope this post wasn't too lengthy, and if you have any more questions, I'll be happy to answer them. :D

Friend of mine went to Davis. She totally loved it. She majored in Classics, and ended up going to UCSF Dental.

It's a lot more relaxed than UC Berkeley.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just graduated from Davis last June. Majored in Neurobiology, Physiology and Behavior (NPB) and am currently doing a masters degree and applying. Make sure if you buy a nice bike, don't skimp on the lock. Let me know if you have any specific questions. What is your major going in?

My major will likely be Biological Sciences. What do you think of the major?

Like I said in my PM, find something you enjoy and major in that. Whether that be biochem, NPB, exercise bio, micro...etc should be up to your personal interests. I was at one time a bio sciences major but didn't like how broad it was. With the bio sciences major you have to take 1 upper division micro, evolution, ecology, physio...etc to satisfy all the requirements. You can do bio sciences with an emphasis but the emphasis is no more than like 1 or two more classes in that specific subject. Don't worry to much about your major now, I didn't change mine till late in my 3rd year when priority registration is given to people in a certain major for certain classes.

As a freshman, you should know that you have access to free tutoring every night in the dorms for calculus, chemistry, etc.

Davis is a wonderful place to study premed.... I hope you have a blast :luck:

i graduated from davis june '09 and i have been accepted to UCD and am still waiting to hear back from UCLA for med school. some tips for pre-meds:

get involved with a student- run clinics as soon as possible. the sooner u start, the more likely u will get a leadership position later. also, do the hospital intenships they offer every quarter. ask the internship career center about them.

stated already, use the free tutoring resources at the residential halls and the learning skills center. if you excel in a subject ur freshman year, become a tutor in it. tutoring for the lsc is one of the best paid campus jobs, and looks great on a resume.

i was also a biological sciences major, and loved it! i also minored in religious studies, i loved as well :)

UC Davis is a great school and I had an awesome time over there. I cannot think of a better school that prepared me for this entire application cycle.

The classes are challenging enough, they are interesting, the professors are awesome. The social scene is also fun if you go out of your way to find things. It's not as fun as say LA/SF, but I always found things to do. If you have a close group of friends, you'll be fine.

The opportunities are the best part about the school. There are lots of free clinics, UC Davis Medical Center, research opportunities, etc. Some of the common pre-med majors are NPB, MIC, MCB, biochem, etc. But I wouldn't limit myself to anything unless that is what you wanted to study. PM me if you have more questions.....