UC Davis vs Mayo Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodyP

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really need some help deciding between two schools. I am a CA applicant who would love to stay in cali but not at the cost of losing out on greater opportunities elsewhere. Would attending Mayo increase my chances of landing a more competitive residency than would UC Davis? What are your guys thoughts on these two schools? Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I really need some help deciding between two schools. I am a CA applicant who would love to stay in cali but not at the cost of losing out on greater opportunities elsewhere. Would attending Mayo increase my chances of landing a more competitive residency than would UC Davis? What are your guys thoughts on these two schools? Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

If you want to do residency in CA, stay in CA. Mayo will probably increase your chances of getting a competitive residency elsewhere in the US.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you want to do residency in CA, stay in CA. Mayo will probably increase your chances of getting a competitive residency elsewhere in the US.

Would that be worth living out in the middle of no where and in the cold for the next 4 years? Haha ... and why is it that Mayo can increase your chances of getting into a competitive residency elsewhere in the US but not CA?

Would that be worth living out in the middle of no where and in the cold for the next 4 years? Haha ... and why is it that Mayo can increase your chances of getting into a competitive residency elsewhere in the US but not CA?

Regional schools have stronger ties to regional residency programs (i.e. established pipelines, better knowledge of the strengths/weaknesses of a program's graduates, program directors are familiar with the faculty of the local schools, etc.). Mayo has more national clout compared to Davis because it's a bigger name in research. That being said, you can go to Davis and still leave the state for competitive residencies ... it just depends on your personal drive.

Regional schools have stronger ties to regional residency programs (i.e. established pipelines, better knowledge of the strengths/weaknesses of a program's graduates, program directors are familiar with the faculty of the local schools, etc.). Mayo has more national clout compared to Davis because it's a bigger name in research. That being said, you can go to Davis and still leave the state for competitive residencies ... it just depends on your personal drive.

I see...So then would you say that the increase in competitiveness be worth being out in Rochester for 4 years?

OP, thanks for making this thread. I'm facing a similar decision between Davis and Emory, and I have no idea what to do. I don't know if you've seen this year's match list for Davis, but there are some very competitive residencies on there, amongst the family practice stuff (like 4 derm, including 1 at Stanford, and 2 rad onc, including 1 at Cleveland Clinic, etc.). As everyone says, if you work hard, you can get pretty much wherever you want to go from Davis. That said, I think the bottom half of Mayo's or Emory's classes have much better options than the bottom half of Davis's class. So that may be something to consider... I don't know.

I'd go to Davis, personally. I left CA for med school and am coming back but it wasn't easy...

I see...So then would you say that the increase in competitiveness be worth being out in Rochester for 4 years?

The Mayo name isn't enough of a justification to go there over Davis without considering fit.

Do you want a large or small class? Cali weather or Minnesota winters? That's really up for you to decide. Personally, I wouldn't last a semester in Rochester, but to each their own.

The Mayo name isn't enough of a justification to go there over Davis without considering fit.

And also when we consider the pedigree, it is really hard for me as an applicant to even understand where Mayo really stands. Are we talking about an increase in competitiveness to the level of Harvard/Upenn/UCSF? Or are we talking about top 20? etc. etc.

I'd go to Davis, personally. I left CA for med school and am coming back but it wasn't easy...

What were your reasons for leaving CA for medical school? If you don't mind me asking

Whether it's worth it or not depends entirely on your preferences. Are you comfortable moving away from your friends and family? Do you think you'll enjoy being in Rochester? If UC Davis is a better fit and you want to stay in CA, then going to Davis isn't a bad idea. Students at Davis match at competitive programs every year.

Also, have you received financial aid from both schools? According to my friends at Mayo, they offer really generous scholarships to students. That may or may not affect your decision.

Whether it's worth it or not depends entirely on your preferences. Are you comfortable moving away from your friends and family? Do you think you'll enjoy being in Rochester? If UC Davis is a better fit and you want to stay in CA, then going to Davis isn't a bad idea. Students at Davis match at competitive programs every year.

Also, have you received financial aid from both schools? According to my friends at Mayo, they offer really generous scholarships to students. That may or may not affect your decision.

Honestly, like I said, I would love to stay in Cali, however, if I have any reason to believe that there will be a significant increase in my competitiveness for residency further down the road, I do not mind leaving california. Which is why I am stuck on what to do :/

Honestly, like I said, I would love to stay in Cali, however, if I have any reason to believe that there will be a significant increase in my competitiveness for residency further down the road, I do not mind leaving california. Which is why I am stuck on what to do :/

Stay in Cali, work hard, and make connections. Winters in Minnesota are no joke ... and they last forever.

And also when we consider the pedigree, it is really hard for me as an applicant to even understand where Mayo really stands. Are we talking about an increase in competitiveness to the level of Harvard/Upenn/UCSF? Or are we talking about top 20? etc. etc.

Top 20ish. Their students tend to stay in the Midwest though; a disproportionate amount stay at mayo as well. If you want to do residency in CA, stay in CA.

If there's a significant increase in competitiveness it'll be for DO/FMG, not top 40 CA med school grads.

Top 20ish. Their students tend to stay in the Midwest though; a disproportionate amount stay at mayo as well. If you want to do residency in CA, stay in CA.

You have to factor in the why though too. It's not that they can't go elsewhere. The students from the midwest tend to want to stay in the midwest, close to family things like that. A good percentage of Mayo students come from the midwest. The students who stay at Mayo, stay because they really like it at Mayo (and quite a few residents try to stay on as attendings).

The students who've wanted to leave and go elsewhere haven't had any trouble going where they want. The students I know who've gone to Mayo have raved about how much they love it.

It is all about fit though, how did you feel at each place, what do you think about class sizes, tuition costs, how do you feel about winter, distance from family, were there differences in the curriculum that might matter to you and things like selectives that really let you explore fields of interest before 3rd year, things like that. Good luck with your decision.

Mayo students do have a strong reputation with residency programs. I do think you'd have a better edge at a lot of places coming from Mayo, I'm just not how the Cali schools play out.

Status
Not open for further replies.