UC Davis vs. UC Riverside vs. SUNY Downstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Foodology

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been very fortunate to have options, but I'm struggling to choose between them. I've also been waitlisted for UCSF, so I'm not sure if that will lead anywhere...
I'm looking for a school that will give me great clinical experience, a community of supportive colleagues, and opportunities to research or work in student run clinics.
Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I've been accepted to UCD as well! I would personally say UCD>UCR in terms of opportunities because it is a more established school... Its student-run clinics are very unique in the sense that there are 11 of them. Every medical student has the chance to be a Co-Director and spend a lot of time with patients. At some schools, a participation lottery system exists due to fewer spots. Also, UCD is #18 for primary care and #40 something for research in the U.S.! Lastly, UCR has a VERY small class, which can be a pro or a con depending on you.

I can't comment on SUNY because I am not familiar, are you from California originally? SUNY is a lot more expensive, correct?

Downstate student here. You're probably not from Brooklyn so I would make sure you feel comfortable here before deciding this school. With that said, we have a student run clinic (Brooklyn Free Clinic) that many students get involved with within months of starting classes. First year tuition is OOS, but after living here for 1 year you get IS tuition. P/F pre-clinicals, NBME exams and recorded lectures. Good luck deciding!

Last edited:
Downstate student here. You're probably not from Brooklyn so I would make sure you feel comfortable here before deciding this school. With that said, we have a student run clinic (Brooklyn Free Clinic) that many students get involved with within months of starting classes. First year tuition is OOS, but after living here for 3 years you get IS tuition. P/F pre-clinicals, NBME exams and recorded lectures. Good luck deciding!

@PugsAndHugs, I thought it was IS tuition after one year, not 3? That's what their website says, but if that's not current could be an expensive mistake!

Members don't see this ad :)
@PugsAndHugs, I thought it was IS tuition after one year, not 3? That's what their website says, but if that's not current could be an expensive mistake!

I think @PugsAndHugs might have meant that you pay IS tuition for three years. Or at least, that is also my understanding of the SUNY's IS tuition policies. This seems corroborated on Downstate's website, which specifies 12 months of residence in NY and an array of necessary pieces of evidence.

Establishing New York State Residency Status for Tuition Billing Purposes

I think @PugsAndHugs might have meant that you pay IS tuition for three years. Or at least, that is also my understanding of the SUNY's IS tuition policies. This seems corroborated on Downstate's website, which specifies 12 months of residence in NY and an array of necessary pieces of evidence.

Establishing New York State Residency Status for Tuition Billing Purposes
SORRY! I typed it wrong! After living in NY for 1 year (which you pay OOS tuition) you can get IS tuition the next 3 years. My mistake!

I edited the above post to avoid confusion if anyone else reads this post.

Reactions: 1 users