uc davis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

donuthole

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is uc davis known for? I know it's good for primary care, but what else is it known for? Any special kind of curriculums? just trying to think ahead about schools...

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
"Each year the number of applicants for admission far outnumber the positions available"

maybe the secretary wrote it. number outnumbers. she read applicants outnumber...but of applicants isn't part of the main structure of the sentence. easy enough mistake to make. :p

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm with you jbing. That rejection e-mail was seriously lame. I demand some high bond, watermarked paper at the very least. Anyway, this was my first rejection. bummer.

Last edited:
When did you receive your rejection letter from UC-Davis? Was it post-secondary?

My AMCAS was verified in July and I still haven't received a secondary from them. Should I assume that I have been rejected? Same goes for UC-San Diego.

Do people ever receive secondaries this late in the game from either of those schools?

I received a secondary in early october and my amcas was verified early july.. hope that helps.

Anyone have an answer to my original question (about what uc davis is known for?)

Thank you!

Originally posted by SUPERSTARZ
When did you receive your rejection letter from UC-Davis? Was it post-secondary?

My AMCAS was verified in July and I still haven't received a secondary from them. Should I assume that I have been rejected? Same goes for UC-San Diego.

Do people ever receive secondaries this late in the game from either of those schools?

My app was verified a couple of weeks back and I just received a secondary from UCSD. I received a secondary from UCI the day immediately after I was verified. Haven't heard from the other UCs though. It's not even that late in the interview season--still not halfway through.

Well, let me tell you a little about UC Davis.

UC Davis is a medical school located in the city of Davis, CA, which is about 15 miles from downtown Sacramento. Within 3-4 years, the entire med school (including the pre-clinical years) will be in Sacramento.

Davis does value its primary care programs which are amongst the top in the country. (#17 in case you wanted to know;) ) Starting first year, med students have the opportunity to volunteer at the student-run community clinics, where they perform physicals, take histories, and diagnose patients as the primary care physician (with the help of a attending physician that helps clarify and point the student in the right direction). So, I think its safe to say, that you get AWESOME clinical exposure as a med student.

Although the primary care programs are top notch at Davis, it does not mean that anyone who goes here only go into primary care. There are many people in my class who want to go into ENT, Derm, Surgery, etc. It is just like any other school, but perhaps the percentage of future primary care physicians is a little more than other schools.

Yeah, you're right about the rejections by email thing. I think its a pretty classless way to do it, but what can I say? Its just the way they do it. Trust me, it is IN NO WAY indicative of how the school is run, or the way we are here at Davis.

It is an awesome, laid-back school, with great clinical exposure. If you want to know more, feel free to ask anymore questions.

Good luck with the application process!

they also e-mail post-interview rejections!!

SUPERSTARZ, if i am recalling correctly, i believe i didn't get a davis secondary for a really long time after turning in my application last year. i had all but given up on them, and then got a secondary. the same happened with the interview. they notified me in april that they wanted to interview me! then i got a rejection e-mail sometime in june. i remember the blood rushing to my face when i read that thing. i was so bummed!

UC Davis is awesome.

I just had my interview there this past Wednesday and it was by far the greatest med school related experience so far.

They are excellent in primary care and they are moving up in research. They just built a new genomics building and it looks pretty tight. But what is really exciting is the medical center.

Great clinical experience: Awesome hospitals (especially with Shriners and the new Childrens Hospital on the way soon), great professors, nice nurses.

Student run clinics: I think there are at least 4 of them and they are all pretty good. excellent opps to get clinical experience starting from your first month of attending med school.

Number 1 IM Sports Program in the country. Kickass. Enough said.

Rent is cheap in Davis and even cheaper in Sacramento.

Students really kick ass and the admin is really cool.

I know a lot of you think Davis sucks cause of their email rejections, but they do everything by email this year (rejections, secondary, interviews and acceptances). And a rejection is a rejection. Who cares how its phrased. They all mean we werent good enough to go to their school. Whether they said it nice or not, its all the same. It is however not reflective of the way the med school or any of the people that are there are.

Plus, I think its good they dont use paper. Its environmentally sound. But thats just what i think.

Hope this helps donut.

Doesn't Davis make you write 10 freakishly long essays? What's up with that?

Originally posted by Pinkertinkle
Doesn't Davis make you write 10 freakishly long essays? What's up with that?

not freakishly long. 1500 characters each.

one 6000 character one but that is only if you are a disadvantaged student.

i forget exactly how many but 7-10 responses.

and i love a school that asks me many questions because i feel it is a way for them to look past the numbers and read what you have to say about how you feel about medicine and how your experiences have helped you go into a career in medicine.

for that i am grateful because if they were just numbers people then there would be no way i would even have a shot at this school.

i think jlee and ucsb premed got it right about the school.... The people here are the best but the curriculum could use a few changes though. Maybe i could give you some insight in the living situation.

Rent being cheap is definitely a relative term... Some people here pay 600+/month for one bedroom and rent keeps going up every year.

i found davis more pleasant than i'd expected. it's not boonie land like i heard it was and i really enjoy the laid back atmosphere of the people and the scenery. Coming from LA, i think it's a nice change of pace mainly because now I can finally park somewhere easily and not have to sit in traffic everyday. If you interview here, i'd suggest going to downtown davis and sacramento.

Also, one thing that doesn't get mentioned a lot is that most students live right here in Davis and therefore, UCD is not a commuter school, a lot of med students go bar hoppin, movie watchin and do IM sports together.

Objectively, if you are a CA resident, uc davis is a great choice. it may not have the world class reputation that a ucsf or ucla has, but it certainly feels to me that it is the only thing that it is lacking.