UC Irvine anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cammy1313

SDN Donor
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was just curious if there were any UC Irvine med students out there that could offer any insight as to what the school is like, why they chose it, etc. I have an interview coming up and it's my top choice so I thought I'd try to solicit some feedback before heading up there.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Not a UCI student, but that's where all the hot asian chicks are, so if that's your thing.. heeeeey :thumbup:

UCI undergrad here. I love the campus, but can't vouch for either the med program or the hospital. I just don't know enough, but this story was just released today.

New UCI hospital OKd
Regents approve spending $371 million to replace the aging medical center in Orange.

By MAYRAV SAAR
THE ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER

The UC Board of Regents voted unanimously on Thursday to give UCI Medical Center the green light for its planned $371 million hospital.

A 221-bed, seven-story glass and brick structure will replace the 30-year-old gray-white building that had once served as the county hospital. The medical center's newer main hospital tower, with its 105 beds, will remain, as will the 84-bed neuro psychiatric center.

"We are all very excited about the UCI Medical Center. With its proximity to the biomedical industry, the hospital needs to be continually moving forward," UC Regent Joanne Kozberg said.

UC Irvine officials said they hope the new building project will go a long way toward the university's goal of establishing a first-rate education and research facility.

"We see ourselves now as the institution that provides highly specialized care to anyone in the region who is in need of the expertise of our faculty," said Dr. Ralph Cygan, CEO of UCI Medical Center.

Although the regents were expected to vote for the hospital's construction cost plans, local philanthropists called the decision "a celebration."

"I'm so excited about this," said Thomas Tierney, who along with his wife, Elizabeth, co-chairs the fund-raising campaign for the new hospital building. UCI has received $18 million of the $50 million that it hopes to get in private donations.

"This heralds the arrival of a brilliant new era of health care in Orange County," Tierney said. "There is no reason to ever leave Orange County" for specialty care.

A state law requiring hospitals to seismically upgrade is forcing medical centers throughout California to rebuild or renovate. In Orange County, the UCI project is one of several, including a $200 million project at Hoag Memorial Hospital Presbyterian in Newport Beach and St. Joseph Hospital's $132 million patient-care center in Orange.

But UCI's campaign was part of a larger plan to shake its old image as a county hospital. Last year, the state set aside $600 million to seismically upgrade the five University of California hospitals, $235 million of which was dedicated to UCI.

The new medical center will feature a glass elevator shaft to rival the nearby Crystal Cathedral and private hospital rooms big enough to allow 12 residents to follow a doctor on her rounds.

Window seats in each room pull out into a bed for family members to stay with patients.

Thirteen new operating rooms will be built, including one robotic operating room and up to five "minimally invasive" operating rooms.

The new building will take the place of an old building deemed potentially unsafe in a major earthquake.

That building will be demolished in 2009 after construction is finished.

A second main Medical Center building will be retrofitted to improve its earthquake safety, officials said.

Altogether, the new UCI Medical Center would have 377 beds and room for 30 more later. It currently has 391 beds.

The project is slated to include road and parking enhancements, and a new emergency ambulance entrance.

Funding for the project would come from a variety of sources:

$235 million in lease/revenue bonds.

$62,920,000 in loans.

$5,509,000 from hospital reserves.

$20,791,000 in equipment leasing.

$47,500,000 from private donors.

To that end, donors and philanthropists are trying to get the word out about UCI Medical Center's new plans.

"We believe this will bring new academic medical services and the latest in high- tech and science discoveries to the county," said Timothy Strader, vice president of the Irvine Health Fund, which kicked off the industry campaign for the new hospital with a $1 million grant last year. "This is the kind of community facility that is long overdue in Orange County."

http://ocregister.com/ocr/2004/11/19/sections/news/news/article_316609.php

free registration is required to view.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey!

I'm a 1st year at UCI and would love to help you out. I love it here at UCI. It was my first choice and I'm totally glad I chose being here. My biggest reason for choosing UCI over any other school is the other students. Everyone is really chill here, no gunner/cut throat competetiveness....yet everyone does extremely well. We all hang out and its such a supportive enviornment. The weather here is amazing and I know people diss Irvine because there's not much to do...but honestly.....you spend most of your time studying so you don't have lotsa free time anyways! Another thing to think about.....we start anatomy in November so students get a chance to get used to med school first before jumping straight into anatomy. I really appreciate this the most.

Some things to think about though.......
Irvine's curriculum is really traditional, its not for everyone. It's very lecture oriented and you don't get PBL until later on first year.
the hospital isn't near UCI...it's about 15min away and hte traffic can be horrible so if you hate driving...definitely don't come here.

...okay honestly those are my only two big issues with irvine...which are really small. Please feel free to PM me if you have anymore questions but if you ask any UCI med student...they're pretty happy at UCI. No real complaints from me!