UC Irvine lady chewed my head off!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmejia1

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got an email from them saying my application wasn't complete--that both my letters and application had not been recieved. So I call and it turns out they did have the letters but they were missing the secondary and that she was going to withdrawl my application very soon! She implied I was a liar and that I hadn't sent the secondary. She as well hung up on me! I said I would re-send it and I then said "Goodbye", during the that time she slammed the phone!

Geesh! First the AMCAS fiasco now this!

Members don't see this ad.

you should complain to her supervisor after your application has been reviewed

Call the director of the admissions and pray that wasn't her....

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the UC Irvine people just dont have their stuff together. I got secondaries from all 15 schools by August, except Irvine. They emailed it on Dec. 21st. I think re-checking your app. with them is the best way to go.

BT

In all defense of UCI, they DO have their stuff together!! It is just with all the mess ups with AMCAS, everyone, including UCI, has been slow. They are just like any other UC, super selective and all UC's usually run later than other private/out of state schools. And the people at the admin are SUPER NICE, nicer than any other school i've been at! Hope I'm not stepping on anyone's toes, but just wanted to let you know that UCI is a cool school with a nice and cooperatvie staff.

altaskier
:)

I can assure you that UC Irvine does NOT have its act together. I called them three times leaving a detailed message about a matter of some importance. No one called me back. This was over a two-week period. Finally, a person answered the phone, I explained my question, was transferred to someone's voicemail where I left a message, and guess what? No one's called me back. That was two weeks ago, so I'm not holding my breath.

I call that careless and rude (and frustrating to boot).

sorry, but UCI is WEAK!!! and I'm not just saying that because I got rejected from them pre-secondary! :( . Even when I was at a junior college nearby, and toured the college of medicine at UCI, their students told me straight out, if you get in somewhere else, GO!! However, just so that you'll know that I'm not completely anti-UCI, some of their residency programs are really good, like cardiology. well best of luck to those who will interview there...

I haven't meet one student that told me that if I get in there I should go elsewhere. I don't think that accurately depicts the school. The students there are VERY happy and comfortable. I'm just speaking from experience, as you all are.

i've heard nothing but good things about uci from their students...

and oh baby, some of the chicks there are h0tttttttt (students) :clap:

That what I'm talkin about!

ok...I'll give you that!!! the girls are HOT!!!! but so are they at UCLA baby!!!!

But in all honestly, I've had crappy experiences at certain med schools. Believe me, I've gone through some weird crap. I know it kind of sucks...but with UCI I really don't think that is the way it is. The atmosphere there is a very helpful and supportive one.

Before my interview experience at UCI, I had very bad experiences with the office staff. They were not helpful, they were rude, talked to me on speaker phone, did not return calls, etc.

They were nice the day of the interview, but before that, you would have thought they were UCSF or Harvard.

The students that I saw and talked to liked it and recommended it.

That is to say, all of the experiences discussed here so far are true!!! :D Unfortunately, UCI doesn't seem to be able to give us all the same uniform 'nice' treatment.

I understand why some of the admissions staff people could get tired of looking up application status and dealing with applicants' anxiety. But, I mean, that is their job and they've also got to realize that we are all people who have invested lots of time, energy and money to go through this emotionally draining process and the fiascos of the AMCAS mess and schools losing materials. I answer phone calls at a mental health counseling center and deal with difficult people all the time, but not once have I treated a caller with disrespect. So, jmejia1, I don't understand why you should have to be treated that way...

altaskier,
doesn't matter how nice UCI is, i don't think that fellow SDNer deserved to be recieved in that way.

UCI does not have their act together. You want to see a school that does..check out UPenn some time. EVERYONE in their admissions office is really nice.

I have called the UCI office a few times. The first two were pretty awful experiences, so I can relate to the post topic. The secretary acted as if I was calling just to bother her with insignificant problems, you know such as, oh, my secondary app is missing from them? She acted like I was an annoyance just because I was trying calmly to settle things out. She did hang up prematurely the second time, which almost made me want to give up on them. But hey, we all got to walk up to the plate. The third time I actually got to talk to the director, who was genuinely sincere to my problems. She even remembered my name from a previous voicemail. The problem got resolved just with that phone call, which was great. If only they could request for an interview, I'd put them on my A list. :wink:

I gotta concur with the complainers that Irvine's admissions office has, put mildly "trouble commiserating with candidates". I personally think it's b/c they have an 800#, so they expect to get a jillion calls/day and get a jillion calls/day.