1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

UC Irvine - On hold

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by gossmer, Nov 16, 2005.

1. gossmer

gossmer Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'm on hold for an interview at Irvine. What does this mean exactly? Am I still in the running?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Overeducated

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I was put on hold yesterday too... it sux! :(

4. lebam

lebam Megistered Muser
    5+ Year Member

I have the same message... hopefully it's not a bad sign

5. wildcatbio06

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I have been on hold since mid September. I think it means we are on the bubble and I am guessing it is something like the GW hold where at some unspecified time they will re-review our files for the possibility of an interview.

6. gossmer

gossmer Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I think it means "We'll interview you if nobody better comes along". Something like that. We're the B team. But at least it's not a rejection. I guess we're like a pity date for the prom.

7. lebam

lebam Megistered Muser
    5+ Year Member

boo! :thumbdown:

It's like being one of the last ones picked for the dodgeball team in P.E.

8. wildcatbio06

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    That's what that feels like.

9. TIMTIM

TIMTIM Member
    7+ Year Member

hey i am ON HOLD too, I submitted UCI like late August, do you think the time of submission may be a factor?? People who got reviewed early may have an advantage?

10. calvinandhobbes

calvinandhobbes Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    i'm on hold too, and my numbers are pretty solid. i wouldn't worry about it too much y'all. we'll be fine.

i think they just need to sift through the first round of interviews, see who they want, and then they'll move on to the next group (us hopefully)

just my two cents.

peace

11. DrHuang

DrHuang SDN Donor
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    i was put on hold last year and then didn't hear a peep outta UCI until i applied again this year :p

12. tacrum43

tacrum43 Behold the mighty echidna
    7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    :( Oh crap! You've got a 3.8 and a 35 and they put you on hold???

Oh so screwed am I.

13. temmie

temmie Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Do you mean that you turned in the primary or secondary at this stated date bcos if it is your secondary you turned in in august and you think you are at a disadvantage, then you are not funny cos i dont know what you expect us august mcat takers to do then

14. lebam

lebam Megistered Muser
    5+ Year Member

That sucks! That just ain't right. How can they treat us like that?
    If you cut us, do we not bleed?

+pity+

15. TIMTIM

TIMTIM Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi Temmie,

Don't take it personally. My argument is that it maybe better that august testtakers haven't heard anything, than an early submitter heard that it's ON HOLD. I am more screwed than you in that sense. Plus I didn't submit that early compared to others...hopefully we don't have to worry about the ON HOLD status too much. It feels like they maybe overwhelmed by numbers of applications. Know if everyone is applying to UCI this year?

TIM

16. gossmer

gossmer Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Sorry to burst your bubble but I'm an August MCATer and I'm on hold.

17. gossmer

gossmer Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Yeah. It's got me a bit worried in general. But I'm a non-trad too. Maybe they don't like non-trads or they've filled their non-trad quota for the yar? Who knows?

18. temmie

temmie Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Thanks tim
    I am applying and UCI is my number 2, my number 1 being stanford babeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. ANyways goodluck with the whole thing. I am still pending review. California does know what bottons to press.kater

19. lebam

lebam Megistered Muser
    5+ Year Member

I'm an August mcatter and non-trad too. and I submitted the secondary on the last possible day

20. Moto

Moto RHA
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I applied early, semi-nontrad, fit well with their stats, have been on hold since mid Sept. This waiting is killing me, slowly & painfully. :(

21. red dot

red dot burning, burning
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    well... since you guys all have great stats are on hold as well should i just throw in the towel for uci? i have crappy stats and am on hold.

22. gossmer

gossmer Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    No, I wouldn't say that. They seem to be looking for something in particular. Don't ask me what. But it's definitely not stats. Their stats are lower than a lot of the other UCs -maybe it's the ECs they focus on?

23. tacrum43

tacrum43 Behold the mighty echidna
    7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    "lower" being a relative term here. There aren't many state schools with a 33 MCAT average.

24. red dot

red dot burning, burning
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    maybe. *sigh*

the only thing i can count on uci counting on my app is that i would definitely go there!

25. lebam

lebam Megistered Muser
    5+ Year Member

I'm worried about this "on hold" business. It seems, according to mdapplicants.com, that lots (or all) of people "on hold" at irvine never leave the "on-hold" status. Can someone who was previously "on hold" and subsequently interviewed please post? I'm starting to think that "on hold" is as good as "not in this lifetime"

26. qr321

qr321 Member
    5+ Year Member

I'm still "Pending Review." Complete since early August.

27. barcelona-bound

barcelona-bound Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

to those who are/were ON HOLD at UC Irvine...any movement/updates? interviews/rejections?

august mcatter here...on hold since 11.28

UCI interviews applicants into april...

28. madonna

madonna Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    some activity is def happening cuz i just got a secondary and my amcas was submitted 9/21. i bet you'll hear something soon

29. barcelona-bound

5+ Year Member

hey congrats madonna! fill it out NOW!!! :D

also, just to clarify my above post...POST-SEC/PRE-INTERVIEW "ON HOLD"

30. nikibean

nikibean Tip your guide.
    5+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student
    Okay folks, I'm gonna let you in on a secret.
    I'm a re-applicant. I was "on hold" last year forever at UC whatever, and subsequently rejected. So this year, I got pushy. I called and asked, "I see I'm on hold this year for an interview, and last year this happened to me and I was subsequently rejected. What can I do to get myself off the hold list?"
    (because honestly, "on hold" = not good).

ANSWER:
    (I tell you this with the info that the person I spoke to said it might be too late, but to go ahead and try anyway...)

You need to send an email to [email protected]
    subject: appeal for interview

Address your email To the Members of the Admissions Committee:

1) elaborate on your experiences. It's not like they give you a ton of room to talk about what you've done
    2) detail your work. Talk about any new things you've done. Give them an update.
    3) Add a letter of rec if you can.

There's no guarantee, but it's worth a shot.
    Things they are looking for: 1) commitment to primary care. 2) knowledge/work with the hispanic community (check out the PRIME-LC program info) 3) actual work within medicine.

good luck, fellow Jedis. I hate this process. And if you have to go through it a second time, don't sweat it- it gets easier.

31. medworm

medworm Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

I remember reading somewhere and also getting the "scoop" from calling UCI that pre-interview hold is a delayed rejection. Like OHSU, they don't need to draw interviews from that list. Sorry folks, but I'm in the same boat too.

32. barcelona-bound

5+ Year Member

hey niki...great info...will give it a try, too...already sent in an abstract...nothing to lose :thumbup: good luck!

33. JSK44

JSK44 Member
    5+ Year Member

If the boat is sinking, I'm in it too :(

I took the April MCAT, completed secondary in September, put on hold since December. How very sad. :( :( :(

34. BerkeleyMD

BerkeleyMD Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    It seems like most of us are doing something, but it looks like it'll do us no good in the end. That sucks!!

Is there anything that will help us into UCI/UCLA/UCSD..??

35. nikibean

nikibean Tip your guide.
    5+ Year Member

You guys!

Don't be sheep! Be pro-active. Call and ask the admissions offices what you need to do. They don't want to give out information to those who don't ask, which is good training for medicine - unless you are able to ask questions, you aren't going to know!
    Get busy, ask questions. Don't be meek and mild. What the hell have you got to lose?
    Go big. Trust me. There is some truth to ask and ye shall receive. Damn I was so pissed off at being put on hold again that I was sitting, seething, and decided that I was not going to be some school's bitch again. So I called. And guess what? I got some answers.
    Get determined. Take control of your fate; it's your life. And good luck. I would wager that 95% of us deserve to be here. If you're a cheating bastard who ruins other people's experiments, I hate you and a pox upon you and your family and I hope karma bites you in the ass tomorrowL you are the 5% who don't deserve to be here with your comrades. Everyone else who works together, good job, and stay determined.
    Peace, my friends. And I hope we all get in. :thumbup:

36. argonana

argonana SDN Donor
    10+ Year Member

I called UCSD yesterday to ask if there was anything I could do to get off hold, and the woman almost hung up on me. But then she decided to sneer a bit before going silent again and waiting for me to hang up. :(

37. xxbruinxx

xxbruinxx Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    i got the post-secondary on hold status today...i called them up, lady says it probably won't work out...

well, at least she was frank about it
    i did send them an email with fall grades...though i'm sure how much that would matter at this point

38. NapeSpikes

NapeSpikes Believe, hon.
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Wow. Harsh.

39. nikibean

nikibean Tip your guide.
    5+ Year Member

Where was this. xxbruinxx? Did you write a letter telling the school specifically why you want to go there? Did you outline any skills you've learned (while volunteering at x clinic, I learned about HIPPA and ICD9 codes for Medi-Cal, and I also have become familiar with various pharmaceutical generics and contraindications... I take patient histories, blah blah blah). If you have done so, send it!

Argonana, I'm sorry you had that experience. Maybe she had fielded a ton of calls already? Maybe she's tired of the applicants. I always ask if they have a few minutes to answer a question first, then I ask about the on hold status (not saying you didn't, I'm just giving unsolicited advice on how I do things). I haven't checked UCSD, but if I end up there again and get any info, I'll pass it along. Good luck.

I passionately hate the "on hold" bullcrap. :mad: It infuriates me, and therefore I am on a mission to figure it out and pass along the intricacies of its labrynth to my fellow applicants who are stuck in this mire of "hold."
    Grrr.

40. iggyboop

iggyboop Member
    10+ Year Member

I applied in July 2004, and was "on hold" until I got an interview in March 2005, and then I got in. But as nikibean has said, be proactive. I'm not a part of the admissions committee, but sometimes I think that UCI's just trying to sort out who actually wants to be here and who's using it as some sort of a backup (if such a thing exists in the med school admissions process).

41. hotchicalica

hotchicalica Member
    5+ Year Member

hey iggy! :p ill see you in physio tomorrow morning bright and early!

anyway, definitely be proactive. UCI is NOT like SD. they are really receptive to applicants and extremely nice. if you're calling, i would ask for gayle. she knows all the applicants and is extremely helpful.

also, what iggyboop and other have said seems to be right on the dot. uci really wants to know if you want to be at the school. when i applied last year, i didnt have the gpa or the mcat. but, what i did have was multiple emails, letters and phone calls to the admissions committee. i wouldnt lie, but if you really can see yourself at uci and it is truly your #1 choice, tell them. from what i hear from a friend who's on the admissions committee, they really want to see that you are interested in uci and have something that you can bring to the incoming class. update letters/emails are nice. if you really dont have anything "new" to talk about, go ahead and talk about one of your more significant current experiences and show them how you will bring this experience to your class benefiting your peers.

:luck: good luck all!! :luck: