• Scariest Story Contest

Now that it's getting close to Halloween, we're running a contest to hear your scariest stories! These can be scary stories that you've experienced or stories that you've heard and the story with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

UC Irvine - On hold

About the Ads

gossmer

10+ Year Member
Jun 13, 2005
  1. Medical Student
    lebam said:
    I have the same message... hopefully it's not a bad sign

I think it means "We'll interview you if nobody better comes along". Something like that. We're the B team. But at least it's not a rejection. I guess we're like a pity date for the prom.

calvinandhobbes

10+ Year Member
    5+ Year Member
    Oct 12, 2005
    1. Pre-Medical
      i'm on hold too, and my numbers are pretty solid. i wouldn't worry about it too much y'all. we'll be fine.

i think they just need to sift through the first round of interviews, see who they want, and then they'll move on to the next group (us hopefully)

just my two cents.

peace

temmie

10+ Year Member
      7+ Year Member
      Oct 18, 2005
      NY
      1. Resident [Any Field]
        TIMTIM said:
        hey i am ON HOLD too, I submitted UCI like late August, do you think the time of submission may be a factor?? People who got reviewed early may have an advantage?

Do you mean that you turned in the primary or secondary at this stated date bcos if it is your secondary you turned in in august and you think you are at a disadvantage, then you are not funny cos i dont know what you expect us august mcat takers to do then

About the Ads

TIMTIM

10+ Year Member
        7+ Year Member
        Jun 10, 2005
          temmie said:
          Do you mean that you turned in the primary or secondary at this stated date bcos if it is your secondary you turned in in august and you think you are at a disadvantage, then you are not funny cos i dont know what you expect us august mcat takers to do then

Hi Temmie,

Don't take it personally. My argument is that it maybe better that august testtakers haven't heard anything, than an early submitter heard that it's ON HOLD. I am more screwed than you in that sense. Plus I didn't submit that early compared to others...hopefully we don't have to worry about the ON HOLD status too much. It feels like they maybe overwhelmed by numbers of applications. Know if everyone is applying to UCI this year?

TIM

gossmer

10+ Year Member
          Jun 13, 2005
          1. Medical Student
            TIMTIM said:
            Hi Temmie,

Don't take it personally. My argument is that it maybe better that august testtakers haven't heard anything, than an early submitter heard that it's ON HOLD. I am more screwed than you in that sense. Plus I didn't submit that early compared to others...hopefully we don't have to worry about the ON HOLD status too much. It feels like they maybe overwhelmed by numbers of applications. Know if everyone is applying to UCI this year?

TIM
            Sorry to burst your bubble but I'm an August MCATer and I'm on hold.

gossmer

10+ Year Member
            Jun 13, 2005
            1. Medical Student
              tacrum43 said:
              :( Oh crap! You've got a 3.8 and a 35 and they put you on hold???

Oh so screwed am I.

Yeah. It's got me a bit worried in general. But I'm a non-trad too. Maybe they don't like non-trads or they've filled their non-trad quota for the yar? Who knows?

temmie

10+ Year Member
              7+ Year Member
              Oct 18, 2005
              NY
              1. Resident [Any Field]
                TIMTIM said:
                Hi Temmie,

TIM

Thanks tim
                I am applying and UCI is my number 2, my number 1 being stanford babeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. ANyways goodluck with the whole thing. I am still pending review. California does know what bottons to press.kater

gossmer

10+ Year Member
                Jun 13, 2005
                1. Medical Student
                  Joonie said:
                  well... since you guys all have great stats are on hold as well should i just throw in the towel for uci? i have crappy stats and am on hold.

No, I wouldn't say that. They seem to be looking for something in particular. Don't ask me what. But it's definitely not stats. Their stats are lower than a lot of the other UCs -maybe it's the ECs they focus on?

tacrum43

Behold the mighty echidna
                  10+ Year Member
                  7+ Year Member
                  Oct 19, 2004
                  Seattle, WA
                  1. Resident [Any Field]
                    gossmer said:
                    No, I wouldn't say that. They seem to be looking for something in particular. Don't ask me what. But it's definitely not stats. Their stats are lower than a lot of the other UCs -maybe it's the ECs they focus on?

"lower" being a relative term here. There aren't many state schools with a 33 MCAT average.

red dot

burning, burning
                    10+ Year Member
                    5+ Year Member
                    Mar 7, 2005
                    chicago
                    1. Medical Student
                      gossmer said:

maybe. *sigh*

the only thing i can count on uci counting on my app is that i would definitely go there!

About the Ads

lebam

Megistered Muser
                      10+ Year Member
                      5+ Year Member
                      Jan 24, 2005
                        I'm worried about this "on hold" business. It seems, according to mdapplicants.com, that lots (or all) of people "on hold" at irvine never leave the "on-hold" status. Can someone who was previously "on hold" and subsequently interviewed please post? I'm starting to think that "on hold" is as good as "not in this lifetime"

madonna

10+ Year Member
                        5+ Year Member
                        Oct 9, 2005
                        los angeles
                        1. Medical Student
                          barcelona-bound said:
                          to those who are/were ON HOLD at UC Irvine...any movement/updates? interviews/rejections?

august mcatter here...on hold since 11.28

UCI interviews applicants into april...

some activity is def happening cuz i just got a secondary and my amcas was submitted 9/21. i bet you'll hear something soon

nikibean

Tip your guide.
                          5+ Year Member
                          15+ Year Member
                          Apr 4, 2004
                          Cali. But not the cool part.
                          1. Other Health Professions Student
                            Okay folks, I'm gonna let you in on a secret.
                            I'm a re-applicant. I was "on hold" last year forever at UC whatever, and subsequently rejected. So this year, I got pushy. I called and asked, "I see I'm on hold this year for an interview, and last year this happened to me and I was subsequently rejected. What can I do to get myself off the hold list?"
                            (because honestly, "on hold" = not good).

ANSWER:
                            (I tell you this with the info that the person I spoke to said it might be too late, but to go ahead and try anyway...)

You need to send an email to [email protected]
                            subject: appeal for interview

Address your email To the Members of the Admissions Committee:

1) elaborate on your experiences. It's not like they give you a ton of room to talk about what you've done
                            2) detail your work. Talk about any new things you've done. Give them an update.
                            3) Add a letter of rec if you can.

There's no guarantee, but it's worth a shot.
                            Things they are looking for: 1) commitment to primary care. 2) knowledge/work with the hispanic community (check out the PRIME-LC program info) 3) actual work within medicine.

good luck, fellow Jedis. I hate this process. And if you have to go through it a second time, don't sweat it- it gets easier.

medworm

10+ Year Member
                            5+ Year Member
                            May 17, 2004
                              I remember reading somewhere and also getting the "scoop" from calling UCI that pre-interview hold is a delayed rejection. Like OHSU, they don't need to draw interviews from that list. Sorry folks, but I'm in the same boat too.

BerkeleyMD

10+ Year Member
                              5+ Year Member
                              Oct 20, 2005
                              1. Medical Student
                                It seems like most of us are doing something, but it looks like it'll do us no good in the end. That sucks!!

Is there anything that will help us into UCI/UCLA/UCSD..??

nikibean

Tip your guide.
                                5+ Year Member
                                15+ Year Member
                                Apr 4, 2004
                                  You guys!

Don't be sheep! Be pro-active. Call and ask the admissions offices what you need to do. They don't want to give out information to those who don't ask, which is good training for medicine - unless you are able to ask questions, you aren't going to know!
                                  Get busy, ask questions. Don't be meek and mild. What the hell have you got to lose?
                                  Go big. Trust me. There is some truth to ask and ye shall receive. Damn I was so pissed off at being put on hold again that I was sitting, seething, and decided that I was not going to be some school's bitch again. So I called. And guess what? I got some answers.
                                  Get determined. Take control of your fate; it's your life. And good luck. I would wager that 95% of us deserve to be here. If you're a cheating bastard who ruins other people's experiments, I hate you and a pox upon you and your family and I hope karma bites you in the ass tomorrowL you are the 5% who don't deserve to be here with your comrades. Everyone else who works together, good job, and stay determined.
                                  Peace, my friends. And I hope we all get in. :thumbup:

xxbruinxx

10+ Year Member
                                  7+ Year Member
                                  Apr 21, 2005
                                  1. Resident [Any Field]
                                    i got the post-secondary on hold status today...i called them up, lady says it probably won't work out...

well, at least she was frank about it
                                    i did send them an email with fall grades...though i'm sure how much that would matter at this point

NapeSpikes

Believe, hon.
                                    10+ Year Member
                                    15+ Year Member
                                    Mar 27, 2004
                                    1. Resident [Any Field]
                                      argonana said:
                                      I called UCSD yesterday to ask if there was anything I could do to get off hold, and the woman almost hung up on me. But then she decided to sneer a bit before going silent again and waiting for me to hang up. :(
                                      Wow. Harsh.

nikibean

Tip your guide.
                                      5+ Year Member
                                      15+ Year Member
                                      Apr 4, 2004
                                        xxbruinxx said:
                                        i got the post-secondary on hold status today...i called them up, lady says it probably won't work out...

well, at least she was frank about it
                                        i did send them an email with fall grades...though i'm sure how much that would matter at this point

Where was this. xxbruinxx? Did you write a letter telling the school specifically why you want to go there? Did you outline any skills you've learned (while volunteering at x clinic, I learned about HIPPA and ICD9 codes for Medi-Cal, and I also have become familiar with various pharmaceutical generics and contraindications... I take patient histories, blah blah blah). If you have done so, send it!

Argonana, I'm sorry you had that experience. Maybe she had fielded a ton of calls already? Maybe she's tired of the applicants. I always ask if they have a few minutes to answer a question first, then I ask about the on hold status (not saying you didn't, I'm just giving unsolicited advice on how I do things). I haven't checked UCSD, but if I end up there again and get any info, I'll pass it along. Good luck.

I passionately hate the "on hold" bullcrap. :mad: It infuriates me, and therefore I am on a mission to figure it out and pass along the intricacies of its labrynth to my fellow applicants who are stuck in this mire of "hold."
                                        Grrr.

iggyboop

10+ Year Member
                                        15+ Year Member
                                        Apr 30, 2003
                                          I applied in July 2004, and was "on hold" until I got an interview in March 2005, and then I got in. But as nikibean has said, be proactive. I'm not a part of the admissions committee, but sometimes I think that UCI's just trying to sort out who actually wants to be here and who's using it as some sort of a backup (if such a thing exists in the med school admissions process).

hotchicalica

10+ Year Member
                                          5+ Year Member
                                          Oct 16, 2004
                                            hey iggy! :p ill see you in physio tomorrow morning bright and early!

anyway, definitely be proactive. UCI is NOT like SD. they are really receptive to applicants and extremely nice. if you're calling, i would ask for gayle. she knows all the applicants and is extremely helpful.

also, what iggyboop and other have said seems to be right on the dot. uci really wants to know if you want to be at the school. when i applied last year, i didnt have the gpa or the mcat. but, what i did have was multiple emails, letters and phone calls to the admissions committee. i wouldnt lie, but if you really can see yourself at uci and it is truly your #1 choice, tell them. from what i hear from a friend who's on the admissions committee, they really want to see that you are interested in uci and have something that you can bring to the incoming class. update letters/emails are nice. if you really dont have anything "new" to talk about, go ahead and talk about one of your more significant current experiences and show them how you will bring this experience to your class benefiting your peers.

:luck: good luck all!! :luck:

iggyboop said:
                                            I applied in July 2004, and was "on hold" until I got an interview in March 2005, and then I got in. But as nikibean has said, be proactive. I'm not a part of the admissions committee, but sometimes I think that UCI's just trying to sort out who actually wants to be here and who's using it as some sort of a backup (if such a thing exists in the med school admissions process).

About the Ads
                                            This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                                            2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                            3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                            4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                                            5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                                            6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                            7. This thread is locked.