UC Irvine...put on hold for interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brutus

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am so upset. Just checked my online status and see I was put on hold for an interview. I'm a CA resident and Irvine was the ONLY secondary I received from the UCs! And now I don't even have much hope in that!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

me too! i just checked the website and i'm on hold for an interview. i wonder what that means exactly? that and davis were my only UC secondaries. oh well... :cool:

welcome to the hold club! :( i just found out that my application was also being held...argghhhh. i did email the admissions office a generic letter of interests the other day (before I found out about this hold stuff) so I'll wait and see if anything comes up.....

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry to hear about being put on hold.

UCI is my number 1, and I would be interested in your stats, if that is not too personal.

Cheers,

Hey guys,

I called the adcom people for UC Irvine...they said it's just cuz they haven't set a date for us yet. This is UNLIKE the UCSD one. So if you got the hold for UCI...hang tight...you're in the good!

Originally posted by aznwangsta
Hey guys,

I called the adcom people for UC Irvine...they said it's just cuz they haven't set a date for us yet. This is UNLIKE the UCSD one. So if you got the hold for UCI...hang tight...you're in the good!

i hope this is true for everyone, azn.
xfingers.jpg

so does that mean that they will set a date? that would be cool. haven't they been interviewing for a while now? they need to hurry up and give me an interview! :cool:

just wondering does that mean that sd is diff than irvine so if sd puts you on hold for possible interview that they probably won't interview you? i am not sure what to think about the hold for possible interview...how do the chances look for sd? has anyone tried to pursue that one. i don't want to seem aggressive by calling. i saw another thread where someone called and said they got an interview a few days after but that could have just been coincidence.
how about davis? i haven't heard anything from there either.

davis says they'll probably begin sending invites in november (called last week)

uci will be interviewing for the first time next thursday, oct. 31st, so I wouldn't worry that if you haven't gotten the invite, they trying to fit in alot of people in one day, also, they interview every other thursdays until april... so that's not many days of interviewing to fit in 500 interviewees .... I work at uci so I know when they start interviewing, hope that helps.

thanks for the input on davis that was pretty helpful to know...i know ucsd has been interviewing for awhile now...does anyone know how often they review or how it works if you are put on hold there? is it possible that they just forget about you and then you fall through the cracks? not really sure what to think about them. thanks.

ucsd interviews mon, tue, weds, so you have a lot more flexibility to schedule it, I was told that in an email.... when I was there, there were only two of us interviewees, so I think ucsd lets you have more options for the date, that's all I know.

Wow!:eek:

I just called the UCI admissions office and they were not nice AT ALL. I asked what "on hold" meant and this woman jsut said "hold please." And then Another womna picked up and said, "This is Carla," and I asked her and she was silent and said, "It means what it says." Like, duh! "On hold" tells me nothing!

Anyway, on hold means you might get an interview. You weren't bad enough to reject, not good enough to interview right away. It is by no means an interview guarantee ('maybe' was the word Ms. Carla used herself).

Take care and good luck,
Alison

Members don't see this ad :)
IF "hold" is different with UCI than UCSD, I wouldn't worry too much. From last year I remember someone mentioning that UCI interviews in order of stats, and I think specifically GPA. So the 4.0's interview first, and so on. "Hold" for UCI, and I'm speculating here, probably means that your stats aren't comparable to the early interview group, which means there might be a better chance at getting the interview than at UCSD.

there's some conflicting info about this hold for interview status. i'm sure it's not a guarantee that you will eventually be interviewed. probably just not a rejection... i don't see the point in changing the status to hold though. why not just keep it as, under review? then none of us would be having this conversation.

It could be worse... no secondary from UCI... :(

i called uci this am. they said basically you're not good enough to interview now, but you'll be reviewed later and maybe get an interview later. it sounds similar to ucsd's, but i don't know how much more likely someone is to get off uci's list than sd's. blah.

is anyone rejected post-secondary/pre-interview?

and does anyone have the usnews stats for the uc's interviewing?

thanks
pocwana

I think they put a lot of people on hold whose stats are too far above their mean and have very stong applications thinking they will matriculate at a more highly ranked school.

I just received a hold there as well and have already been to an interview at UCSF and received one from UCSD that I am pondering since I have already been admitted to UMICH. (Turned UCLA secondary in later than the rest so haven't heard yet)

I know my friend who had amazing stats, was a URM and was accepted and given a full ride to many of the top 10 schools he applied to, was rejected last year for the same reason.

They bascially told him that they knew he wouldn't choose to matriculate there so they did not offer him an interview.

that's an interesting take. i'm pretty sure my stats aren't way above their mean and i was placed on hold for an interview. it's probably both, too weak or too strong an app.

Okay, so I followed up on subsequent posts by calling UCI again to clarify this 'on hold' business. This time, the lady I talked to said that 'on hold' means that there's NO guarantee that there is an interview soon and later. So this conflicted 100% with the lady I talked to yesterday. Plus she kept saying 'on hold' means 'on hold' like a previous post said. Yes, we are the future one-celled doctors of America...of your children!
I don't know why they think this process should be so intuitive for us. 'On Hold', hi, medium, low Wait List...after awhile it's all gibberish to me.
Whatever...I'm not going to hope too hard for UCSD and UCI...I'm putting THEM 'On Hold' in my mind at least for awhile... :pity:

it's so obvious: on hold means on hold. what's so hard to understand about that?

I don't know about you guys, bu I want more than an ambiguous phrase when it comes to my application status. If they didn't want us to know the status of our app, they wouldn't have an online status check. To me, on hold means "lost in the bureaucracy." It means you've been put aside. But for how long? Permanently? Is there any chance of an interview? Some schools have an "on hold" category that is heavily drawn from; some have hold lists that are basically nice rejection lists. I don't see the harm in trying to figure out what in the hell they mean by "on hold."

And, by the way, if they have a ton of calls asking what "on hold" means (and I bet they do) they should just change the online status to "maybe" or something equally comprehensible instead of getting snotty with the applicants.

Because the first lady told me 'on hold' means basically 'hold on till you get ur interview' and the second lady basically said 'hold your horses, you may not be goin anywhere'.

i know, i was joking about the hold thing. they should provide us with more information. you'd think for the sixty dollars we could get some customer service.

"on hold" means your app is going to be reviewed again to determine if you get an interview, I don't think the office people know the likelihood that you get an interiview or not, all they see are "interviewed", "on hold", "rejected", that's all they get from the adcom committee, so we should give them a break...I would be upset too if I am in their shoes with all the calls that they have been having.

I'm with body builder or whoever. I interviewed at UCSF, UCSD, UPenn, Columbia and was accepted to UMich. I haven't heard a peep from UCI or UCLA (but haven't checked my status yet). I am also on hold from UChicago.

I think we have to just be patient and go with the flow. They don't want to take people that won't go there because it will lower their stats and thus their rankings. It's irritating, but probably somewhat true.

:rolleyes:

at least you have an acceptance while this is going on. seriously, it's frustrating how there is so much politics involved in admissions, like the admissions people guessing who will come to their school and what not. i guess we have the good old usnews rankings to thank for that.

yeah, that's ridiculous if they (e.g. UCI) are basing even partially their decisions on likelihood of people coming. I mean, numbers don't tell the whole picture, and admissions should be based on if the applicants match the school's ideals of a physician and if they have the necessary background to follow through. I HATE US News and World Report...because it has influenced how the public views med schools and the applicants, myself included. People should rethink before saying...'well that school's crappy cuz it's not in the top tier'. Each med school has its own merits and pitfalls, and residency directors know that (thankfully). In any case, on hold is better than nothing...

Originally posted by Bodybuilder
I think they put a lot of people on hold whose stats are too far above their mean and have very stong applications thinking they will matriculate at a more highly ranked school.

Except for the people that they'd like to give Regent scholarships, maybe... But in general, it seems like they won't interview such people right away, if at all, because they don't think they'll go there (particularly Ivy Leaguers).

so how do you tell them, i will drop everything else if you let me in here?

Originally posted by pocwana
so how do you tell them, i will drop everything else if you let me in here?

Letter of intent?

No love from UCI here either. Just got back from my crappy interview at Boston U to see that I'm on hold at UCI (my alma mater) too. On top of it all, I have a hangover-type headache, but I didn't even drink!!! *sigh* oh well...life goes on.

Hey Princess,

Too bad @ BU. Can you tell us a little more @ your interview experience? Thanks.

I'm gonna put up a post because this interview has been bugging me...:(

is everyone still on hold?

still on hold....... *sigh*

still on hold for me. i actually emailed them ~2wks ago and got a response the other day saying that they won't be able to reevaluate me until all of the other applicants have been evaluated.

I just checked the UCI status page and it says "Pending Review" under interview. Is this the same as on hold or no?

No. I had this status for a while, but last week it changed to "review in progress".

hey, i never got a review in progress -- just a pending review & then hold :(