UC Irvine SOM vs. UT Health San Antonio (Long)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Technoblade

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I’m very fortunate to have been accepted to two of my top-choice schools. I’ve been thinking about this for a while and I figure that now is a good time to get some outside input.

Long School of Medicine - UT Health San Antonio
Pros

• Great tuition ~$20k, affordable area
  • Students and staff seem like incredibly nice and supportive people
  • Research Ranking - 52
  • I would be happy to stay here for residency
Cons
  • Heat
  • Area is not as nice and is a 3 hour drive from the ocean
  • H/HP/P/F system

UC Irvine School of Medicine
Pros

• Perfect weather
  • Beautiful location by the ocean, safe
  • First-year P/F grading
  • More prestigious
  • Research Ranking - 48
Cons
  • More expensive ~ $42k per year
  • Housing is very expensive
  • Worried about competition for Honors (restricted to top 15% of class in M2). I’m only interested in IM but I’m worried that people will stop being as friendly to each other in M2.
  • I want to pursue residency in the South and regional bias may work against me

Summary: Both schools are wonderful, and I feel that I will be happy in either location. The tuition and COL in Texas is hard to turn down, but IDK if I'd be missing out on a great opportunity to attend a UC. My current goal is Internal Medicine/Cardiology, based off of years of research in a heart lab.

Members don't see this ad.

More prestigious in that UCI is only 4 spots higher than Long? They’re both mid tiers. I didn’t understand that part too much.

If you wannna end up in the south, prob long the way to go. Plus half as expensive.

If you were deadset on matching to the west coast, I'd probably say to go to UCI. But given your priorities and the cost difference, I think Long is the better choice!

Members don't see this ad :)
More prestigious in that UCI is only 4 spots higher than Long? They’re both mid tiers. I didn’t understand that part too much.

If you wannna end up in the south, prob long the way to go. Plus half as expensive.
Thank you so much for the response! I think that in general, Irvine as a city has more of a prestige factor than San Antonio, although the med schools are pretty much the same and UT Health SA has better research IMO.

On this year's rankings Long moved up, so it's a T50 mid-tier too - I'd definitely go for the affordability factor alone. You'll have so much more freedom on the other side of residency with lower debt.

I would also opt for Long. It is hard to beat IS tuition at Texas schools. Congratulations, it is a notable accomplishment to get acceptances to both a CA and TX public medical school. I don’t think we see that often here.

Reactions: 1 user