UC Irvine (UCI) class of 2010!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
cHocoBo 118 said:
I havent had a random roommate since my first year of undergrad so i'm slightly concerned about that. Hopefully things will work out and i wont get some weird messy guy who never showers.

That's definitely an issue for me. I'm considering shelling out the extra ~$300/month and getting a single. What's another few grand in debt in the long run anyways? :)

Members don't see this ad.

a few people in my class, got in contact with eachother before housing selection and asked to be placed together at palo verde. im not sure how it would work at vista or verano, but im sure you could ask if your concerned about living with a random grad/mba student.

it does seem like those who are living with med students fared better at the roommate thing than those with grad students. you can ask gayle for the contacts of people looking for med student roomies.

SanDiegoSOD said:
That's definitely an issue for me. I'm considering shelling out the extra ~$300/month and getting a single. What's another few grand in debt in the long run anyways? :)

cHocoBo 118 said:
so to my surprise, I already got offered a housing spot for VDC. I didnt expect them to get back to me in less than a week of me submitting my housing app. HOWEVER, the lease for the place they offered starts on September 15th! Do they not know that med school starts in early august?

Did anyone else get an offer?... and if so when does your lease start?

what is up with them? you can't live out of your car for a month and a half while waiting for housing. i submitted my application months ago and i haven't heard anything yet. weird

Members don't see this ad :)
cHocoBo 118 said:
so to my surprise, I already got offered a housing spot for VDC. I didnt expect them to get back to me in less than a week of me submitting my housing app. HOWEVER, the lease for the place they offered starts on September 15th! Do they not know that med school starts in early august?

Did anyone else get an offer?... and if so when does your lease start?

I talked to someone at VDC on the phone yesterday, and they said leases would start on Sep. 3. Whether its the 3rd or the 15th, it doesnt matter - thats still several weeks too late. I guess I could commute from San Diego, but how crappy would that be? LAME!

I just received, for the third time, an email from UCI regarding their Revisit Day. I have replied each time, stating that I will be bringing a guest. But each email that I receive implies that I have not yet RSVPed. After the second email, I sent an inquiry to the Admissions office, and they said that they had me down, plus a guest. But today I got an email saying that there is still time for me to RSVP. What gives?

Do any of you have this problem?

SanDiegoSOD said:
I talked to someone at VDC on the phone yesterday, and they said leases would start on Sep. 3. Whether its the 3rd or the 15th, it doesnt matter - thats still several weeks too late. I guess I could commute from San Diego, but how crappy would that be? LAME!

Maybe housing isn't aware of, or sensitive to the med student quarter starting earlier than the rest of the university. Perhaps talk to Gayle; maybe she or someone she knows has dealt with this situation before.

SanDiegoSOD said:

I just talked to someone from VDC Norte on the phone and they said that their leases start in Sept. but VDC has leases that start in summer, so that would be the better option if you can't find temporary housing. I did not realize that VDC and VDC Norte have separate housing applications, but if you signed up for VDC Norte you might want to consider appling to VDC. :luck:

for those of you guys who are discussing housing, what forms did u fill out? i only filled out that short housing form during the interview. was there anything else?? i know i probably sound stupid for asking, but i'm kinda lost. :eek:

Bumping for financial aid - anyone receive any offers? Last week, the financial aid officer said that decisions may go out at the end of this week (i.e. today). Just curious if anyone has heard anything yet.

Not yet. I'm pretty antsy, though.

Anyone have the schedule for the revist day?

Anyone going to the PRIME-LC dinner?

Thanks mayn. Where did you get that btw?

Members don't see this ad :)
Elastase said:
Anyone have the schedule for the revist day?

Anyone going to the PRIME-LC dinner?

Hey, I just cancelled. You'll have to tell me how it goes! :luck:

titoincali said:
Hey, I just cancelled. You'll have to tell me how it goes! :luck:

Tito: Definitely!

Choco: UCI just forwarded me the agenda, thank you!

Bumping for Second Look on Sunday... see you all there! :thumbup:

Hi All!! I just signed up for this forum today.... any old fogy's out there? I graduated from USC in 2002 and would like to know that I'm not going to be the oldest one of the first years!!

sammyusc said:
Hi All!! I just signed up for this forum today.... any old fogy's out there? I graduated from USC in 2002 and would like to know that I'm not going to be the oldest one of the first years!!
I graduated in '01, but I'm still just on the UCI waitlist. It's my first choice though. I didn't see too many nontrads at the interview, which makes me wonder if they have a preference about that.

Well, I only saw a couple of non-trads @ UCi, but being non-trad actually helped me get into USC and UCI I think, because both of those schools didn't give me the time of day when I applied 4 years ago. I decided to work in industry for a big biotech company and then suddenly everyone loved me... like I am not the same person I was 4 years ago! Sheesh.

revisit day = :love:

I had a great time. For everyone who missed it, we basically followed the schedule pretty closely, but they also had a raffle and served a ton of food. There wasn't a campus tour though. They gave this really cute presentation about emergency medicine and acted out a scene like someone was coding while playing the theme from ER. My favorite part of the day was the student panel: the students who go to UCI basically just seem like people you would want to hang out with, and they obviously love their school.

cHocoBo 118 said:
it was nice seeing you guys yesterday... well at least two of you.

Hahaha ya, I think we stuck together in our little interview group. I definitely had fun on Sunday, and it was nice seeing chocobo and anystream. I met several other people, but only did the small talk (whats your name/where did you do undergrad/are you going here next year) so I didnt really get a vibe for what the future class is going to be like.
The ER thing was pretty cool, and i gotta say I enjoyed learning to intubate. I was a little dissapointed, however, that it didnt help me learn any more about UCI. I did get to learn a good deal about ultrasound in the ER :rolleyes: (you secondlookers know what im talking about).
I hope everyone is doing well! Did second look seal the deal for anyone? (i.e. you going to UCI next year?)

hey guys - so i'm starting to totally freak out because May 15 is quickly approaching. Right now I'm trying to decide between UCI and Georgetown. I'm from Cali - grew up in the bay, graduated UCLA 05 and think I am ready to try the East Coast for 4 years and then come back. I definitely want to be back in Cali for residency. Any advice? Did anyone else find themselves in the same situation? Also is that much easier to get residency in CA if you go to school in CA? thanks guys!

megamd said:
hey guys - so i'm starting to totally freak out because May 15 is quickly approaching. Right now I'm trying to decide between UCI and Georgetown. I'm from Cali - grew up in the bay, graduated UCLA 05 and think I am ready to try the East Coast for 4 years and then come back. I definitely want to be back in Cali for residency. Any advice? Did anyone else find themselves in the same situation? Also is that much easier to get residency in CA if you go to school in CA? thanks guys!

So first off, I just found this thread...finally realized that since i got into med school, I should check out these threads instead of just pre-allo.

I will be going to uci next year and am definetely pumped. i interviewed on nov. 21 with choco and sandiegoSOD (I was the waterskiier and bruin fan). i will try to follow this thread now that i know it exists.

anyway, mega, it's noah. I know i told you this the other day in starkman's office, but you should definetely come to uci...it's cali. DC is cool and all, but think about the move, think about the distance, think about the cold. I am currently waitlisted at mich, and now that my gf has a wonderful job on UCI's campus we are def going to uci. I am so thankful that i am not going to have to move far, deal with cold, and being away from my family. just my thoughts.

see you all next year!

Oh yah, in case it hasn't been mentioned (because I know some people asked), orientation is Aug 7-8, and classes start Aug 9.

hey I just got in! and I figured I'd bump this thread up a little. bruinH20 did you ask for the first day of school or do you get access to more info once you send in your intent to register? hello, classmates!

thanks chocobo...I just noticed those dates were on my letter btw... :rolleyes:

anyone have any idea when we should recieve our official paperwork?

bruinH2Oskier said:
So first off, I just found this thread...finally realized that since i got into med school, I should check out these threads instead of just pre-allo.

I will be going to uci next year and am definetely pumped. i interviewed on nov. 21 with choco and sandiegoSOD (I was the waterskiier and bruin fan). i will try to follow this thread now that i know it exists.

anyway, mega, it's noah. I know i told you this the other day in starkman's office, but you should definetely come to uci...it's cali. DC is cool and all, but think about the move, think about the distance, think about the cold. I am currently waitlisted at mich, and now that my gf has a wonderful job on UCI's campus we are def going to uci. I am so thankful that i am not going to have to move far, deal with cold, and being away from my family. just my thoughts.

see you all next year!

Oh yah, in case it hasn't been mentioned (because I know some people asked), orientation is Aug 7-8, and classes start Aug 9.

As an Anteater MS3 killing time at the VA, I thought I'd add my two cents...
Back in the day, I had the choice of a pricey out of state school and UCI. Chose UCI, being from Nor Cali and all I thought it would be better to stay in state for residency and costs. Now with fee increases, the cost is the same. After hearing from countless residents talking smack about our quality of training compared to East Coast schools, I'm living that education gap while on IM. This place doesn't teach you crap, the first two years would be better spent on a set of Kaplan step 1 books and reading. They throw you to the wards with absolutely no practical knowledge and you're on your own to figure out what to learn and who to teach you. Sure, DC is cold, but the OC ain't the Bay Area, and from what I've seen, those visiting MS3s and 4s from East of Rockies seriously know their sh#t.

Hey everyone... haven't visited this thread in awhile but i saw that some of you were at the revisit day. I had a good time, and it was cool to meet some of the people. I guess I'll be seeing you guys next year!

ImaMedStud said:
Back in the day, I had the choice of a pricey out of state school and UCI. Chose UCI, being from Nor Cali and all I thought it would be better to stay in state for residency and costs. Now with fee increases, the cost is the same. After hearing from countless residents talking smack about our quality of training compared to East Coast schools, I'm living that education gap while on IM. This place doesn't teach you crap, the first two years would be better spent on a set of Kaplan step 1 books and reading. They throw you to the wards with absolutely no practical knowledge and you're on your own to figure out what to learn and who to teach you. Sure, DC is cold, but the OC ain't the Bay Area, and from what I've seen, those visiting MS3s and 4s from East of Rockies seriously know their sh#t.

do you truly believe this ? because i just decided to attend uci over gtown and im starting to freak.

ImaMedStud said:

Did you join SDN just to post this? :rolleyes:

I don't see how one could generalize that ALL of the east coast schools provide better training than UCI or any other UC. Perhaps the visitors you're seeing are the cream of the crop.

although I am just an MSII here at UCI, I have plenty of friends who are MSIIIs and MSIVs who have "enjoyed" their clinical years and felt they learned a lot. you can NEVER make everyone happy and that's especially true in medical school...

ImaMedStud said:

I'm also an anteater nearing the end of 3rd year. I think the first 2 years were very good and I felt pretty well prepared for entering 3rd year. Parts of 3rd year have been disappointing in terms of the amoung of teaching you are given (though this is highly dependent on the attending/residents leading your team). The east coast visiting students that I've come across don't seem to be any better trained than the UCI students (in several cases, they were significantly worse), though n=small in this sample. If any of you nervous pre-MS1s have questions, feel free to PM me.

Not many future Anteaters on SDN, are there? I know a few of us dropped right before May 15 - anyone excited about August, or what?

Go ANTEATERS!! I dunno if my eyes were lying to me, but it looks like some medschool-looking people won the 5 vs 5 basketball tournament last year!

dude I am still here. I am addicted to teh internets.

cHocoBo 118 said:
Do you guys know if there was any deposit we had to pay or any sort like that? I havent done a thing after sending in the form to matriculate back when I was first accepted and just wanted to make sure that there was nothing for May 15th we had to do.

Nope, no deposit. Sweet, huh? I'll keep that $100, thank you very much :)

anybody have any input on what type of laptop to get for uci? tablet or regular? is most of the curriculum electronic (i.e., histology, anatomy, general lectures)?

It looks like on the uci computer store website there is apple, dell, and lenovo/ibm. do they use a lot of macs?

I remember covering this at my interview day...was anything else covered more extensively at the revisit day?

thanks

I got an acceptance call last night! I'm so excited! Elena said she was calling 5 more people after me. Yay!!!!! I really love UCI and am so happy!

beffers8888 said:
I got an acceptance call last night! I'm so excited! Elena said she was calling 5 more people after me. Yay!!!!! I really love UCI and am so happy!

Congratulations! :) Welcome to the club! :hardy:

Thanks. So has anyone heard about financial aid? How about housing?

congrats and welcome! I havent heard anything about financial aid, or housing. I just submitted my vista del campo app and they guy said I'd be fine (but I told him I wanted a studio). but I think I might just stay where I am even though its like a 30 minute drive.....

rowdybow said:
congrats and welcome! I havent heard anything about financial aid, or housing. I just submitted my vista del campo app and they guy said I'd be fine (but I told him I wanted a studio). but I think I might just stay where I am even though its like a 30 minute drive.....
Are you planning to drive to class? Is it possible to get parking on campus? I'll probably stick with one of those on campus places, at least for first year.

I got financial aid a few weeks ago. A little disapointing in the grant dept, but hey, that's life.

I'm on housing waitlists... blah...

I am glad some are as addicited to the internet as I....yeah I am probably just going to drive to class. It's really easy to get a parking pass....you just buy one at the office. I think you can even do it online and they mail it to you. Here is my experience finding a UCI parking spot (2 summers and one fall/winter/spring). Although the 1/2 hour drive gets pretty old after a while....:-(

Parking in the lot nearest the med school (and close to the Biosci library)=no problem. Always a spot, especially in the morning. So for med school, its fine.

Parking in other lots: some are always full, some are usually full, but it can be done if you know the two or three lots that are least used. Sometimes you have to drive and walk a little though.

Parking your car near the dorms/overnight: I have heard from undergrads that consistently finding a spot near their dorm can be a hassle, as can be getting a pass for their lot. But grads have their own lot so its might be different.

see your pass has to have two qualities: one is to park on the campus lots. These are the ones you can just buy no problem. The other is to park on a residential lot. For these I think you apply, and could be harder to get. But like I said, I only heard the word from the undergrads, grads have their own deal.

all in all I think UCI has the best parking situation than any other school I know well (UCLA, UCSB, Berk, and Stanford). In fact, compared to a recent survey among...

I think I know too much about parking. (sigh)

Yeah, I went to UCLA for undergrad and parking is rough. But I dont think I can afford a car or gas anyway. With all the sunshine I might as well bike everywhere.

SanDiegoSOD- does this mean that housing is full or are you on the waitlist for some spiffy competitive building? Since I'm getting my financial aid later than most people I doubt it's going to be very generous. Did they tell you what the current interest rate for the stafford unsubsidized loans is?

rowdybow said:
all in all I think UCI has the best parking situation than any other school I know well (UCLA, UCSB, Berk, and Stanford). In fact, compared to a recent survey among...

I think I know too much about parking. (sigh)

keep going!! you're on a roll! I know I want to get a spot. any idea how mucht hey cost?

about housing, I haven't heard anything - just filled out that app during the interview. Do I need to contact them, or did you guys get somehting in the mail? Plus every time i go to www.vistadelcampo.com, it doesn't load right. Is this the right website?

thanks

beffers8888 said:
Are you planning to drive to class? Is it possible to get parking on campus? I'll probably stick with one of those on campus places, at least for first year.

I commuted to UCI for 5 yrs and parking's pretty good actually. There's just a dead time in the day from 9-1 when you can't get parking. Get there before 9 and you'll be ok. Irvine is a pretty nice and peaceful area. You guys will like it!

hey beffers I went to UCLA undergrad too!

bam: if you want to get a permit: http://www.parking.uci.edu/
the commuter is the one you can just walk in and buy (I think). Theres some stuff on there about deadlines,pass types blah blah, but I walked in one day, said I needed a permit from april till may 15 and they just made me one.

thats the right site, but it needs flash or one of those plugins for it

beffers8888 said:
SanDiegoSOD- does this mean that housing is full or are you on the waitlist for some spiffy competitive building? Since I'm getting my financial aid later than most people I doubt it's going to be very generous. Did they tell you what the current interest rate for the stafford unsubsidized loans is?

Housing isnt full, its just that the housing office takes their sweet a** time assigning housing for med students. I had to give up my original quest for a 1 bedroom apartment, as all the housing offices say that that simply won't happen due to demand. I'm now hoping to get a room in a two bedroom in verano place - housing is dirt cheap there.

SanDiegoSOD said:
Housing isnt full, its just that the housing office takes their sweet a** time assigning housing for med students. I had to give up my original quest for a 1 bedroom apartment, as all the housing offices say that that simply won't happen due to demand. I'm now hoping to get a room in a two bedroom in verano place - housing is dirt cheap there.
I was also thinking Verano Place because it's quite cheap but does that also mean that it's really crappy? I was looking at the floor plans and it seems that in some of the apartments one bedroom can be a lot bigger than the other. Does each person pay the same rent in that case? Also, any idea how long it takes to walk/bike to classes from the housing?