UC Irvine vs Case Western vs Dartmouth (please take a peak ;))

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

imtorn

Reaction score
Hey guys, I honestly can't decide so any and all help would much appreciate it! For reference, I am hoping to pursue a surgical specialty and academic medicine is a possibility but not a priority.

UC Irvine
Pros
  • In-State tuition
  • Small class size (not sure if it's actually better or worse)
  • Close drive to family and friends
  • Most laid back med students I've met
  • SoCal weather + SoCal babes + proximity to LA/SD/the beach = probably the best lifestyle out of the three
  • May help me match in California?
Cons
  • Least prestigious of the three
  • May hinder my chances of matching at a high ranking program for a competitive specialty
  • Not much of a change in terms of locations that I have lived at before
  • Meh match list
  • H/P/F during the second year and clinical years
  • Internal ranking
Case Western
Pros
  • Highest ranked and most prestigious in medicine
  • More opportunities for research
  • Cleveland Clinic
  • Goerges new education building
  • Best match list out of the three especially when it comes to surgical specialties
  • True P/F first two years
  • The curriculum gives you a lot of free time
Cons
  • Cleveland and its weather
  • large class size
  • Far from home
Dartmouth
Pros
  • Ivy name
  • Small class size
  • Away rotations so I get to see more of the US
  • True P/F first two years
  • MD/MBA at one of the best MBA schools
Cons
  • The small town in Hanover since I am a city person
  • Far from home
  • Okish match list when it comes to surgical specialties

Members don't see this ad.

Assuming cost of attendance is not a major issue, I would attend Irvine. It sounds like you would fit in best there. It also sounds like you want to end up in SoCal post graduation, so that is also a plus. Your ability to match where you want will depend principally on your grades, recommendations and STEP scores, so I am not sure that the prestige of the school will be dispositive on where you end up. Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
If cost is comparable, go to case. If UCI is significantly cheaper I would go there.
Case is not significantly more expensive but do you think going to Case would help me that much more? Because I know that the opportunities at Case are going to be more I am just not sure if it is that much more to justify moving to Ohio

Members don't see this ad :)
Cleveland is very cold for 6 months of the year. Ultimately do well in Step exams and UCI won't limit you.

Reactions: 1 user
Case is not significantly more expensive but do you think going to Case would help me that much more? Because I know that the opportunities at Case are going to be more I am just not sure if it is that much more to justify moving to Ohio
I'd say case is a notch better, but it's not like it's a free pass for anything. Your tone makes it sound like you ultimately want to go to UCI and you're almost looking for permission to not go to case. In the end they're both great schools, and if UCI would make you happier, you will be more successful and a more competitive residency applicant

I vote Case man. The grading second year at UCI is unfortunate as is internal ranking. Case is definitely a prestige step higher than the others and has a phenomenal match list...esp. in competitive specialties. That being said, matching back to Cali is easier with UCI. And UCI is still a very respectable school! I just think Case would set ya up better across the country with programs than UCI.

Awesome choices, congrats!

Stay home. The hardest part of med school for many of us isn't the work, its being away from family. If you like UCI more + its close to home its a no brainer

Reactions: 1 users
^go with your gut for sure. If gut isnt helping, hands down go to case. These forums have a huge UC bias, where in reality it will be easier for you to pursue your stated career goals coming out of Case. It’s silly to suggest that being a lifelong CA resident and then going to a school like Case will hinder you from returning to socal.

Dartmouth is also good-they have a stronger track record than irvine, but not as strong as case and sounds you dont want to live there anyways.