UC Irvine vs. Washington University in St. Louis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

studentstudent

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a weekend to choose! Which would you choose and why???

Members don't see this ad.

I dont know. I'm young, so I'm all about prestige. WASHU!

studentstudent said:
I have a weekend to choose! Which would you choose and why???

WashU. You'll learn more and become a better doctor (on average at least when you dont consider outside variables like the type of person you are etc...holding personality constant youll just know more stuff). It's definitely an intense place to go to school though. UCI will be a much easier time if that's what you're looking for. UCI is in sunny socal and not in isolated st louis. I thought the average student at Wash U was more impressive and ambitious than the average UCI student. of course this conclusion is just based on the impressions i got from a single visit. the wash u facilities are definitely much nicer. uci is kinda breaking down in the way that public schools tend to crumble unnoticed by facilities staff. also, uci is still dealing with the liver transplant scandal. there has been a lot of turnover in the upper level leadership, so it is an uncertain time in irvine.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd say WashU if you want to do a surgical or other really competitive residency and UC Irvine if you want to do primary care. The schools seem to be quite different but both are great. Congratulations on the opportunity to make this decision!

Although biased towards uci for the location...if the choice were mine it would be difficult. I think in the end it would be Washington just because of the prestige and ease of entry into residency. I've spoken to many chiefs of departments and the medical is a major factor for selection.

Let us know what you decide :) Good luck!

WashU for the prestige unless money/taking loans is a big problem for you.

Wow, how can Wash U be a top med school when someone has a hard time choosing between it and the bland suburban academically weak UCI med school?

Would anyone have a hard time choosing between UCI versus UCSF, UCLA, HMS, Columbia?

Wow...what a bunch of elitist US news ******.

I mean seriously...what could Washington University possibly do that is so great. Do they make their professors take public speaking and teaching courses? Do they have prostitutes available during exam week? Do they use matrix-style technology to pump information into your brain?

Callogician said:

Do they make their professors take public speaking and teaching courses? Do they have prostitutes available during exam week? Do they use matrix-style technology to pump information into your brain?

yes, they do all of the above.

Callogician said:

I mean seriously...what could Washington University possibly do that is so great. Do they make their professors take public speaking and teaching courses? Do they have prostitutes available during exam week? Do they use matrix-style technology to pump information into your brain?

Don't be jealous. If they want that school let them. I didn't get into HMS, but rock on to those that did. How awesome!!!! I would say Wash U if you want to go out east, but maybe UCI would be better if you want a cal residency. Sometimes there is geography preference. Both are great!!

Callogician said:

Wow, someone swallowed a bitter pill! :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

OP, I'm from So Cal. I would choose WashU in a heartbeat. Just like I chose Case over a cali school - which is much less straightforward than WashU!!

Wash U was one of my top choices going into the application.. Unfortunately, I was rejected. I know the Wash U takes only the best and the brightest, and you are fortunate and must be an amazing person to get accepted there. Man, that's amazing... Good luck with your decision. Many people would say you would be foolish to NOT choose Wash U. Follow your heart. Be the best doctor you can be no matter where you end up. Let us know what you decide!

Good luck!

firebird69guy said:
Wash U was one of my top choices going into the application.. Unfortunately, I was rejected. I know the Wash U takes only the best and the brightest, and you are fortunate and must be an amazing person to get accepted there. Man, that's amazing... Good luck with your decision. Many people would say you would be foolish to NOT choose Wash U. Follow your heart. Be the best doctor you can be no matter where you end up. Let us know what you decide!

Good luck!

Great advice! Ask yourself why you applied to each of the schools in the first place. What attracted you to each of them? Have you been able to prioritize which of these factors are most important to you?

I know I plan on applying to some great schools that are not necessarily my number one choice. If it were me, I would not pick based on prestige alone...that is something I will consider (assuming I get accepted to one or more schools!) with all other factors being equal.

It's mostly a geography problem for me -- I'm from California, so it's the desire to stay in-state and near family. I love Wash U but not the midwest.

are you joking...wash u!

WashU is amazing! i'd probably go there...but i left california long ago! will you will save lots of $$$ at UCI? i can understand wanting to be close to family/friends. it's important, so don't get bummed that you are factoring them in!

hmm...guess it depends on what exactly you want to do in medicine. if you want to be in academia, i'd go St. Louis. if not...surf's up!

studentstudent said:
It's mostly a geography problem for me -- I'm from California, so it's the desire to stay in-state and near family. I love Wash U but not the midwest.

Location is overrated. You'll only be there for 4 yrs. Go to the school that will better help make you the best doctor, which ever school that is for you.

studentstudent said:

First of all: None of the above, leave this forum for anyone who has 'real' problems!

Second: Get out of your comfort zone for God's sake! I midwestern native living in Cali and I cannot believe geo-centric people can be! Worried that they may drive past two corners in order to get a latte or sushi! Have your family visit you. Besides, you can always come back for residency.

My honest unbiased opinion since I am not waitlisted at either school...but for those that are WL at UCI, ;)