UC or WSU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drcrafey

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying to both the University of Cincinnati and Wright State University Medical schools? Does anyone have any advice on which school is better or why?

Members don't see this ad.

No question, UC is better. You'll see when you visit the schools (if you interview). UC's facilities are state-of-the art. The med school has its own building. WSU's med school is on the undergrad campus, and they share their facilities (classrooms, etc.) with the undergrads. The students at WSU seemed really nice, but so are the students here (UC). Also, Cinci is a much nicer city than Dayton. Do a search for UC on this forum and the pre-allo forum, and you'll find lots of info on UC. The truth is, med school is med school, and if you get in anywhere you should be thankful, but if you get accepted to both, I don't think anyone would choose WSU over UC.

I second Amitha opinion on UC over WSU. There really is no competition between the two. I go to WSU for undergrad and have seen the med school and its students, faculty, and facilities up close and personal for 4 years. UC blows them away in almost every category. If you really want to go into primary care, then maybe consider WSU over UC, otherwise don't. WSU does not have a central hospital just 7 affiliated hospitals. Everything is spread out at each of these hospitals where you have drive to different places between classes. The library is on campus, but is small and many undergrads are there. I really do not know where med students have lectures, but the lecture hall in the med school is used for big undergrad classes, I have two there. Research is almost non-existent for the most part and is scattered. With state-funding cuts, WSU will be phasing out several of its off-campus research facilities. I really do not see any advantage of attending WSU over UC. And Dayton is a pretty crappy city compared to Cincinnati since I have lived here for 4 years. But its a personal decision that has many other personal factors involved in the decision. Well if you have any other questions, I don't mind answering any of them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply. The reason I ask is because I live in Mason OH. In between the two schools. I went to WSU for undergrad and would like to stay where I live. I am a DC and also work at MT Airy hospital as a rad tech while I apply to school. I plan to focus on Emergancy Medicine. I have talked with a few of the doctors and residents here and they say WSU is more primary care but not as demanding of your time. I have to little girls and my wife is also a DC. Any other Comparisons between the two schools?

I completely agree with what Amitha and Reds have already told you. I too chose between these two schools (as well as a couple others), and chose UC. That was NOT a tough choice! WSU lacks a hospital of its own, which is a much larger problem then they let onto. Having a medical school basically plopped down in the middle of an undergrad university is not even in the same league as having a medical school attached to a major research university/hospital. At a school like UC, you have opportunities that you will never see at a school like WSU. We are surrounded by amazing minds, that while teaching us, are doing major medical research. Research which we can get involved with if we choose to. That sort of opportunity would be lost at WSU.

Basically, it comes down to this: better faculty, more opportunities, amazing hospital(s) = better education. But, then again, my opinion may be a bit biased!

Mango, MS2

I just reread your post and noticed your question about emergency medicine. I'm not sure if you knew this, but UC is well known for its emergency medicine program. It is considered by many people to be the top residency program in the field (it was also the first ever). As a student here, you will have an oportunity to rotate through the ED in both your 3rd and 4th years.

Also, as far as WSU taking up less of your time, I can't really compair the two, but I can say that UC only takes up as much of your time as you want it to. There are students who never attend classes, choosing to learn at home on their own. And there are others who spend 12 hours a day at school. It's really up to you. But as far as scheduled hours, you will usually have around 16-20 hrs per week of lectures/labs/small groups during the first 2 years. Hope this helps!

Did you apply to Ohio State? It is a great school and you can spend the first two years basically studying at at your own pace if do the independant study pathway.

That should read "at home at your own pace"...geez