UC-Prime Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LACMA

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I wanted to know if I decide to apply to the UC Prime Program and get in, would I have to go into primary care? I still don't know what I want to do and wouldn't want to limit myself. Most of the students I've seen that are in Prime want to go into family medicine.

I want to serve the underserved and have made it a point in my application. It's what I'm passionate about, and I want to get a master's that will help me in health policy and public health. So the Prime program really matches up with that. But what if I'd rather go into surgery?

Also, if I choose not to do the PRIME program, will it reflect poorly on me despite having written in my application that I want to help the underserved? I still do, but what if I don't want to do it with that program? I just really want to be open to as many options as possible when I enter medical school.

Thanks so much for any advice you can give me!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello!

I wanted to know if I decide to apply to the UC Prime Program and get in, would I have to go into primary care? I still don't know what I want to do and wouldn't want to limit myself. Most of the students I've seen that are in Prime want to go into family medicine.

I want to serve the underserved and have made it a point in my application. It's what I'm passionate about, and I want to get a master's that will help me in health policy and public health. So the Prime program really matches up with that. But what if I'd rather go into surgery?

Also, if I choose not to do the PRIME program, will it reflect poorly on me despite having written in my application that I want to help the underserved? I still do, but what if I don't want to do it with that program? I just really want to be open to as many options as possible when I enter medical school.

Thanks so much for any advice you can give me!

The specialties really vary by program but the object is to serve in underserved communities. But you are right, the majority go into primary care or pediatrics but there are other options such as general surgery & internal med depending on the program.

The specialties really vary by program but the object is to serve in underserved communities. But you are right, the majority go into primary care or pediatrics but there are other options such as general surgery & internal med depending on the program.

Thanks for your response! General surgery or something in internal medicine are what I like most. Do you know what UCLA is best for? or any of the others? I can't really find a match list for the prime program...

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your response! General surgery or something in internal medicine are what I like most. Do you know what UCLA is best for? or any of the others? I can't really find a match list for the prime program...

I'm not sure if there is any data on the PRIME programs since they're class size is very small. I'm also interested in PRIME programs myself and honestly there isn't as much information available. From my understanding the PRIME student stats are lumped in with the traditional program from each school.

Also, some programs don't have any speciality restrictions so you could potentially take any residency that accepts you in the future. Although I assume it might be more challenging to branch out if the majority of your experience is based around primary care.

Reactions: 1 user