UC Riverside?? a bad place to be?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ERMED

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

I am a Psychology major at UC Riverside. I still have two more years to go of my major and I am currently taking my premed pre-reqs. I read a post here from a student at UC Berkeley who placed UC Riverside very low as a university. Is that really true? I mean, I was accepted to UCLA and Berkeley but I liked more the RIverside atmosphere. You think attending UC R will really affect my chances of getting into med school? I have a good gpa ( 3.85) I have med. experience as a Phlebotomist and EMT-1. I am also very involved with school and non-school communities, I have quite a few amount of volunteer work done. What do you guys think? After reading that post I thought of PA school instead, but I truly want to be an MD. Do you guys think UC Riverside is that bad of an institution?

Premed student at UCR

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Sharky,

I'm quite interested in the UCR/UCLA 7 -year program. i was wondering if you could give me any insight on it. How's the work load? how hard was it to get in and stay in the program? Keep up the GPA? Any comments would be greatly appreciated (please send me a private message or email,however, since it's sort of off topic)

(sorry Eduardo for putting in a somewhat personal comment and deviating from your question, but Sharky didn't reveal an e-mail address or use private messaging) but from my limited knowledge and based on freshmen stats on Riverside, I'd have to say it is on the short end at least compared to the other UC schools. But i don't don't think that med schools will hold that against you too much. from what I hear, it's better to be a top student at an "average" school than a mediocre student at a top school. But keep in mind this is coming from a high school student.

UCR does not have a very good reputation. I would have gone to either UCLA or UCB. However, you do have a fairly high GPA and good experience that will get you over that hump. Now you have to prove yourself with the MCAT.

As for the UCLA/UCR program, I would advise against it, because if you don't get into UCLA, then you're pretty screwed. I think less than 20 get in per year through that program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Who started this irritating habit of refering to Berkeley as UCB? Well, Stop it!

Yeah from now on only refer to Berzerkley as Cal

You forgot an 'e' tonem...as everyone does...

Berzerkeley....there ya go!

Hey

Thanks to all of you and your responses. Hey Sharky, would you please email me or somethjing, I would like to chat with you about somethings referring to UC R. Thanks

Premed at UC R

what is this "Berzekeley" thing? Is that the new thing at Cal now? Berzekeley? I still like "Berkeley" better... People asked me where I went for college, I would reply "Cal" to those from California, and "Berkeley" to those were from other states. I don't like "UCB" either... sounds like a USB port for computer keyboards.

Berzerkeley is a really old thing. When I told family about it they actually started making fun of me saying "oh you are going to "Berzerkeley" ...I think everything that happened in the 60's then just the crowd that is around here just lends to that name. I prefer Berkeley...I don't usually like to say Cal b/c then a lot of people question me like "yes yes...cal state what?"... And that's all the people in Cali!!!

Personally, I don't know why someone would choose UCR over Berkeley or UCLA....I don't know why you would want to live in Riverside...I don't think there is much to do there, the professors are not as highly revered as at other universities, and isn't life boring there? Of course, I might be totally wrong b/c I never visited the campus but I have been to Riverside many many times.

didn't forget an "e"...i just cant type