UC San Diego Acceptance (Potential Mistake?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cambrian

Colonel/Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was recently accepted by UC San Diego. I interviewed just before Christmas.

But........

Here's how I received my acceptance notice. I was emailed by the dean of admissions telling me to call the office of admissions. The nice admissions office lady told me that I have been accepted and the acceptance packet would be mailed the following day (Wednesday). After a loud scream of jubilation, I confirmed my identity with her using my AMCAS ID. It was correct. It is now Sunday and I haven't received anything yet. There will be no mail tomorrow because of MLK Jr.'s day. But gosh, this is killing me. I hope this is not a mistake because I have heard and had that dreaded mistaken email from NYMC and another Ohio school. This would be bad because I have already shared this news with friends and family. They're all very proud of me and it would kill me to disappoint them this way. Although, I have the utmost confidence in the UC, San Diego admissions office. They have been very courteous, helpful, and competent (for getting things done so quickly considering the new system). So, does anybody know how long it takes to get mail from La Jolla to San Jose, CA (where I live)?

Thanks for any input.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by cambrian:
•I have heard and had that dreaded mistaken email from NYMC and another Ohio school. •••

What Ohio school was this, if you dont mind me asking? What happened?

I have only heard about the Ohio school from a post. But from what I have read, they school made a batch of acceptance emails and later had to call the appllicants individually to decline their acceptances. Search the forum for the thread. I forgot which one it was exactly.

Members don't see this ad :)
Since they emailed you to ask you to call, and then told you about the acceptance on the phone, I doubt they made a mistake. Call the office Tuesday afternoon if you still haven't received anything, but you should be in good shape. I think there was a week to a week and a half delay between the call and the letter for me last year.

Relax and congratulations -- it's a great school.

Originally posted by lilycat:
•I think there was a week to a week and a half delay between the call and the letter for me last year.
•••

Lilycat, did you decide to attend UCSD?
What school did you finally decide on?

The letter came fairly soon for me, but since you confirmed your AMCAS ID, there seems to be very little chance of them calling the incorrect person.

Obviously there is no mail tomorrow, but feel free to call them and double check by Wed or Thurs next week. It can't hurt and you are now in another class of applicants as far as they are concerned.

For me, the UCSD acceptance packet arrived a little later as well. Trust me, you have nothing to worry about it. There is no mistake. Congratulations as well. UCSD is a fine institution.

With your already intense level of paranoia, I feel inclined to add to it. :) Why couldn't they mess up with the postal mailing too? Couldn't that be meant for someone else? And who knows how long they could keep you from knowing about it! You could show up at med school orientation and find out you weren't really accepted! So...yeah, you're accepted. Time to calm down now.

With your already intense level of paranoia, I feel inclined to add to it. :) Why couldn't they mess up with the postal mailing too? Couldn't that be meant for someone else? And who knows how long they could keep you from knowing about it! You could show up at med school orientation and find out you weren't really accepted! So...yeah, you're in. Time to calm down now. Personally, I'm finding it REALLY weird that the people who have been accepted already are more vocally obsessive than those who haven't.