UC San Diego Medical Center Reports United States’ First Oral Appendix Removal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
eh.......its not the first time ive heard of a procedure that removes something through a natural oral cavity. it was actually quite a while ago that i read the article. its pretty cool if you ask me!

Yeah, they don't actually remove the appendix THROUGH THE MOUTH. They still make a small incision in the belly for one traditional trochar. Not quite as gross as it sounds. There are a few surgeons in my neck of the woods that do endoscopic appy's from down below. I think that's more common in certain parts of the country.

Members don't see this ad :)
ohhhhhh - well now I just feel dumb. They didn't really explain it in the article and I read the part about making the incision near the belly button but then I just assumed that they just yanked it out the mouth or something....oh wow....ok I feel better now that such a thing doesn't exist and dumb for not realizing it before.... :rolleyes:

ohhhhhh - well now I just feel dumb. They didn't really explain it in the article and I read the part about making the incision near the belly button but then I just assumed that they just yanked it out the mouth or something....oh wow....ok I feel better now that such a thing doesn't exist and dumb for not realizing it before.... :rolleyes:

Thanx for giving me a good laugh..its ok happens when you don't read something completely. I am sure this won't be your last :D

Did you guys see the article of them doing a transvaginal cholecystectomy in new york? seriously!:eek:

Did you guys see the article of them doing a transvaginal cholecystectomy in new york? seriously!:eek:
Yes, I did. I was kind of confused as the intent of using "NOTES" to not be so "intrusive" in operations, but transvaginal sounds even more intrusive than the traditional method. It's nice that they're able to do it without scarring/long term post-operative pain, though.

Really not too much more invasive than a culdocentesis if you think about it. One incision. Interesting.

I mean seriously what do you want two 2 inch incisions on your abdomen or all that surgical equipment cutting into your vajayjay?

I mean seriously what do you want two 2 inch incisions on your abdomen or all that surgical equipment cutting into your vajayjay?
I don't have a 'vajayjay', but if I did, I would want neither of the above. :smuggrin: