UC Santa Cruz vs. UC Merced

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jserrano298

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm transferring to a UC for the fall '11 semester.
Which would be a better undergrad school for a premed student,
UCSC or UCM?
Is one better than other in regards to helping me get into med school (more specifically, UC Davis med school)?

Thanks for any help/suggestions :D

Members don't see this ad.

I'm transferring to a UC for the fall '11 semester.
Which would be a better undergrad school for a premed student,
UCSC or UCM?
Is one better than other in regards to helping me get into med school (more specifically, UC Davis med school)?

Thanks for any help/suggestions :D

I'm not sure if one school will help you more than the other. But UC Davis does have the RURAL Prime program and focuses on rural health. I believe UC Merced is in the central valley, and thus would give you tons of opportunities to serve the rural underserved population of central valley(which would make you a favorable candidate at UC Davis). Again a lot of other things go into this process, but that would be the differentiating factor.

Plus UC Merced also might get their own medical school by 2012? Not sure if this is still happening with the budget cuts and all.

Santa Cruz! Best school EVER!

Seriously, neither school is going to give you a leg-up for med school. I'd go based on location (and mountains/redwood forest/beach town >>>>> central valley). I was a transfer student and it was there or Berkeley, but I fell in love with the school. Seriously the best 2 years of my life. I wasn't a pre-med then so I can't speak to volunteering and research but I can't imagine that there would be any less at the more established institution. Visit both and see what you think.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I would go with SC. Neither are UC powerhouses but SC does have it's own niche in certain types of research. Merced is really new and doesn't have a ton of established research yet. As for clinical opportunities, I have no idea. Neither are affiliated with a medical school, or have a large teaching hospital near by. I know SC has Dominican (a fairly large hospital) nearby so there may be some opportunities for shadowing there.

UCSC i think wins easily unless you want to be in the merced area. You wont have an advantage for med schools at either one really, but SC at least is more established and i personally would prefer the SC location over merced. good luck :)

Thanks for the replies everyone! They are definitely helping me in my decision.
Keep the replies coming! :)

ive been to merced and its pretty bad. SC for sure!

Santa Cruz!!!!! Best four years of my life!!!!!!! There are research opportunities if you seek them out. A bunch of my friends were in some minority research program and got lab training and paid research gigs. There are volunteer opportunities no matter where you go. Plus beaches, surfing, hiking, awesome people!!!!! "nuff said

ive been to merced and its pretty bad. SC for sure!
just curious why is it awful? I mean its a new UC in a horrid area so i never figured it was going to be amazing, especially since there really doesnt need to be any more UCs added. But still curious :)

Santa Cruz for sure! Best undergraduate experience ever! I got into some top tier medical schools. Just do well and you'll go far :)

Congrats Otiose! Which med schools did you get into?
Thanks to everyone who is contributing I really appreciate the help

What's up I am a Transfer student to UCSC for the Fall 2010 Quater as well. Im currently taking a Summer Session 2 class. UCSC is so dope man, hospitals everywhere, Dominican has a really relaxed Volunteer Program I am already signed up for. Good research and new facilities everywhere. Not to be a creeper either, im looking for some people to go into the Pre-Med. phase with so if you want a study buddy or someone to volunteer with please hit me up, im looking to push myself as best I can and it would be helpful to have some people to help me do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.