UC Schools Med Stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Random Access

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://www.dailycal.org/article.asp?id=9772

Anyone actually believe this?:

But Erick Mu?oz, co-chair of La Raza Law Student Association, said the jump in minority enrollment is a direct result of UC Berkeley student activism

Members don't see this ad.

didn't they decide not to use affirmative action? ;)

people are quick to take credit for what they view as good things, and blame others for the converse.

Members don't see this ad :)
okay as a cal alum I must defend cal activism. From first hand experience I can vouch for the fact that the student activism accounts for much of the progress the school has made, especially at Bolt for the increased minority, specifically underrepresented minority enrollment . The assumption that students who are leaders and activists are taking credit for improvements in the minority enrollment process is merely an assumption with no backing. While these pivotal students may not play the total role in facilitating such changes, they surely play a major and integral role in revolutionary change. Please form opinions based on better research in the future

Originally posted by calipaww
The assumption that students who are leaders and activists are taking credit for improvements in the minority enrollment process is merely an assumption with no backing.

But Erick Mu?oz, co-chair of La Raza Law Student Association, said the jump in minority enrollment is a direct result of UC Berkeley student activism

:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Street Philosopher
:rolleyes:

I'm going to go with SP on this one. Did you read the quote? :)

As a Berkeley Graduate, I have two things to say.

1. The Daily Cal does a good job with numbers, but sometimes doesn't do the best job to portray quotes in context. People who say something like "I believe x has played a large role in creating y" often have their quote shortened to "x created y."

2. The student groups active in promoting social justice and real diversity (beyond that based on racial and ethnic backgrounds) make the school far more appealing to students who might otherwise look at the school and say, no one there seems to have a similar background to me (again, folks, this goes beyond race). So they do deserve some credit for increasing the attractiveness of the university.