SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

UC schools-WHAT ABOUT THE PRACTICE VISION?!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Milhouse Van Houten, Aug 14, 2001.

1. Milhouse Van Houten

Milhouse Van Houten Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Oct 27, 2000
    there is no space for the practice vision! in fact, UCSF REFUSES to accept it. i think that's horrible because i wrote my personal statement and practice vision to complement one another--neither is complete on their own. what am i supposed to do. ucsf said to just write my personal statement over again if i have a problem with it.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. SMW

SMW Grand Member 7+ Year Member

Jul 12, 2001
    anchorage, ak
    Write it over again.

4. BeckyG

BeckyG Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Jun 5, 2001
    CA
    I agree with SMW - AMCAS never asked for a "practice vision" before this year and I do not recall the UCs specifically asking about this in their secondaries last year. If the two statements you wrote were meant to "complete" each other, then re-write the personal statement accordingly. UCSF is explicit in what they will and will not accept -- in fact, they say if you send them letters of rec before THEY request them from you, they destroy them. So, take what UCSF said seriously and re-write the statement (if needed). Hope this helps. Good luck!

5. Scooby Doo

Scooby Doo IEatShavedPussyCats 10+ Year Member

Jul 9, 2001
    City
    Don't worry..they will get the real AMCAS WITH the practice vision soon enough...
    I personally would have RATHER had put my practice vision on there rather than just the personal statement...
    my practice vision is much stronger...
    oh well..that's the way it goes!

6. Milhouse Van Houten

Milhouse Van Houten Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Oct 27, 2000
    maybe i should clarify. the personal statement is not incomplete without the personal statement; i just think my overall presentaion is much much stronger with the practice vision. HOWEVER: UCLA, UCI, and UCSD have given the green light to sending the practice vision if you like!!! In fact, this used to be on UCLA's secondary, but they took it off this year because it's on the AMCAS!

7. BeckyG

BeckyG Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Jun 5, 2001
    CA
    Hi Petros,

I understood what you meant, but what I was saying is that if you purposely left out specific information in your personal statement (so that you could put it in the practice vision) that would have fit nicely there, then put it back in. But, as Scooby said, UCSF and the rest will get your "real" AMCAS application soon enough (we hope), so it will be a moot point then. All I was saying was if UCSF said not to send it, don't. Obviously they don't want it. Anyway, I hope this helps. Good luck!

-- Becky

8. 6-8 Weeks

6-8 Weeks Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Jul 9, 2001
    CA
    Hmm, I just sent out the UC alternate apps today without the practice vision. Should make a separate mailing of it to all the schools again? When I think about it, these preliminary apps are for secondary screening and probably won't hinge on the practice vision essay. The final acceptance however, will probably take any essays into play but by that time, AMCAS apps will most likely be transmitted.

9. coop

coop Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Mar 4, 2001
    did everyone include a nice printout of their personal comments or just the junky, amcas, one-paragraph version? just curious.

10. synite

synite Senior Member 10+ Year Member

May 20, 2001
    sent in the Word format version. no sense in sending in the crappy AMCAS version if you have a choice....

11. C U in MD school

C U in MD school Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Jun 7, 2001
    CA
    ok, just a side note, do the UCs have their own application and if so, where do we fill it out? :confused:
    Thanx

12. Scooby Doo

Scooby Doo IEatShavedPussyCats 10+ Year Member

Jul 9, 2001
    City
    I cut and paste my AMCAS part of my personal statement into the word format.
    I then created my own paragraphs just by spacing 5 times at the beginning of where I wanted it.

13. FrankMD

FrankMD Ophthalmologist Wanna Be 10+ Year Member

Jul 14, 2001
    NYC
  14. mdhopeful

mdhopeful Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Jun 3, 2001
    Los Angeles
    The UCs are probably not even going to read the personal statements let alone the practice vision. My advisor told me that at a meeting of med schools with pre-health advisors most schools said they were not even going to look at it. AMCAS included it only at the request of schools who usually had the question on their secondary applications. The UC alternate application is being adopted only so they can screen by numbers. The only reason they are not using the AMCAS single page summary is that the process is so screwed up this year, that some applicants' info is not being transmitted and some applicants are applying to schools they didn't even designate. It's the only way they can get info on all applicants. Anyways, that is my 2 cents on the issue. Good luck.

15. labrynth79

labrynth79 Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Aug 12, 2001
    la jolla, ca
    Why does everyone keep writing about the huge paragraph dilemma? On my application i started out spacing 5 times, but then realized that too many characters were being used, so i skipped a line between each paragraph, so only 1 character was really wasted. That way, there are paragraphs on their own. I did this with the UC application, too. So far only UCSD has asked me to send in this new application, but should I send it in anyway to the other UC's I applied to? just curious. If i sound mean i don't mean to be! i think i'm just exhausted so words come out weird. good luck to you all!
    :p

16. 6-8 Weeks

6-8 Weeks Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Jul 9, 2001
    CA

I think all the UCs have the application on their main webpage and it doesn't say anything about invitation only. Everyone will have to apply this way soon or later to the UCs.