UC secondaries, how long after verification?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tank you

2K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
im getting so frustrated waiting for UC's, i was verified 08.05, and haven't received any secondaries or rejections yet.
when did you receive word and how long was it after you were verified?

Members don't see this ad.

jtank said:
im getting so frustrated waiting for UC's, i was verified 08.05, and haven't received any secondaries or rejections yet.
Hell, I was verified 07.08 and still haven't heard anything from the UCs.

drinklord said:
Hell, I was verified 07.08 and still haven't heard anything from the UCs.

wow, are they that slow with the pre-secondary screening?
have you called them and asked whats up?

Members don't see this ad :)
i was verified on 7/13 and I just recieved ucsd. About a month, then? No word from UCLA or UCSF tho

JayQuah said:
i was verified on 7/13 and I just recieved ucsd. About a month, then? No word from UCLA or UCSF tho

why no uci in your profile? im hurt, not good enough for you i see :p

jtank said:
why no uci in your profile? im hurt, not good enough for you i see :p

MSTP my man...MSTP. I'm a greedy bastard, i know :(

jtank said:

I wouldn't try to second guess it. Last year (and this year) I got UCI right away, but UCD took six months before they told me I was rejected pre-secondary after being verified.

:) Gotta love med school admissions :)

jtank said:

Verified: 7/29

I received UC Irvine's secondary 8/1. No word yet, though, from the rest. I'm getting a little worried about UCD.

argonana said:
Verified: 7/29

I received UC Irvine's secondary 8/1. No word yet, though, from the rest. I'm getting a little worried about UCD.

Keep in mind, all the UC's tend to be slow (on average) with the sheer amount of applications they receive. (I heard CA residents made up 40% or so of applicants in the US. This could be exaggerated, but I can believe it.) Last year, UCD and UCLA were the last UCs to grant me a secondary (verified 7/27, got the 2ndary late August/early Sept for a late Sept/early Oct deadline) Don't get too worried yet.

What got me worried was when UCD hadn't granted me an interview until March!

tacrum43 said:
I wouldn't try to second guess it. Last year (and this year) I got UCI right away, but UCD took six months before they told me I was rejected pre-secondary after being verified.

:) Gotta love med school admissions :)

naysayer. you told me the same thing before i got my secondaries. don't make people feel like they're gonna get rejected! its kinda mean.

to the original poster: you weren't verified too long ago, I wouldn't worry about it. you probably won't get them for another week or so

Don't worry guys! Keep in mind that med schools are probably getting a big wave of applications around this time (August vs. June or July) so things will tend to slow down a little bit. Just hang in there!

UCSF has not even acknowledged receipt of my AMCAS application - I called two weeks ago, and they said it would be received last week - still nothing. Grrr... Anybody else in a similar situation?

Members don't see this ad :)
Welcome aboard. I was AMCAS verified over a month ago and still nothing. I'm totally reaching on UCSF and not expecting much in terms of response from them though. I mean, even UCSD has had my app in limbo for about a month now too. My guess is that they save all of the out-of-staters for a little later. And the truly stellar out-of-staters and in-staters are the ones they speak with first.
Or I could be completely wrong and their pre-screening has screened me out already :)

Flopotomist said:
UCSF has not even acknowledged receipt of my AMCAS application - I called two weeks ago, and they said it would be received last week - still nothing. Grrr... Anybody else in a similar situation?

In checking UCLA's status page (which can be found here) I found that I have been invited to complete the secondary. I didn't receive an e-mail about this, so you may want to check and see if you've also been extended an invititation to send them more mon.. err... continue with your application. :luck:

Well, about 10 minutes after UCLA's status page was updated, UCSF's was also updated to say that (finally) they have received my AMCAS data and will review it before deciding to let me fill out a secondary.

I'm posting this UC stuff here so other out of staters can get a sense of the timeline of things. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, my AMCAS was verified 7/08/05.

I'm amazingly stoked. I just got UCLA's secondary via snail mail. (The wording is very sterile, but I'm loving it!) Wasn't expecting it at all!!

From what I've scanned on SDN, all UCs have begun sending secondaries -- but I'm not sure what their approach or timeline is towards granting them.

Good luck everyone!

Btw, my AMCAS was verified 7/5? and I'm in-state.

drinklord said:
In checking UCLA's status page (which can be found here) I found that I have been invited to complete the secondary. I didn't receive an e-mail about this, so you may want to check and see if you've also been extended an invititation to send them more mon.. err... continue with your application. :luck:

wow, I just checked too and found the same thing but never got an email.

nairay said:
Keep in mind, all the UC's tend to be slow (on average) with the sheer amount of applications they receive. (I heard CA residents made up 40% or so of applicants in the US. This could be exaggerated, but I can believe it.) Last year, UCD and UCLA were the last UCs to grant me a secondary (verified 7/27, got the 2ndary late August/early Sept for a late Sept/early Oct deadline) Don't get too worried yet.

What got me worried was when UCD hadn't granted me an interview until March!

Ditto on UCD- Interviewed in March, felt like like I was in the last batch. My last interview too. :)

Is anyone aware of the % of applicants who are invited to fill out secondaries? I know that MSAR doesn't have that data. Uneducated opinions are welcome.

drinklord said:

Thanks for the info. I had checked a week or so ago but not recently. Apparently, I got invited to submit it on Friday (the 12th). So everyone should check. :)

I just checked UCSF's status page, and they finally recognize me (but no secondary). And UCSD still has not awarded me a secondary yet. I got secondaries from all the other UCs and was verified middle of July.

Oh, and I wanted to add that I AM a Cali resident, and UCSD still has not given me a secondary. My stats are 31 3.9/3.9 which I'm pretty sure would warrant it (so hopefully they are just taking their time).

Does anyone know if UCLA accepts "writing intensive" type courses for the English requirement or does the class have to be in the English dept? I know they don't take AP credit. I just found out that I got approved for a secondary (even though I only have one ENG dept course) so I wonder if that's ok with them?

drinklord said:
Is anyone aware of the % of applicants who are invited to fill out secondaries? I know that MSAR doesn't have that data. Uneducated opinions are welcome.
UCLA cuts to about 3000 (last year they had 5500 applicants), UCSF cuts to about 1500

drinklord said:
Well, about 10 minutes after UCLA's status page was updated, UCSF's was also updated to say that (finally) they have received my AMCAS data and will review it before deciding to let me fill out a secondary.

I'm posting this UC stuff here so other out of staters can get a sense of the timeline of things. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, my AMCAS was verified 7/08/05.

Same here. According to the UCLA status page, they decided to send me the secondary on 8/12 (haven't gotten it in the mail yet) and UCSF sent me an email saying they received my app and would review it in 3-10 weeks. I was verified sometime in mid-July (8/18 maybe?) and I'm out of state.

Edit: 9 essays? ARGH

I guess I'm the only one who still hasn't had their UCLA status page updated. I was verified mid-July and am in state too. :rolleyes:

I called up Davis today to ask about where they stand on sending out the secondaries. They're screening based on the date they recieved the application from AMCAS...the woman told me that right now they're on July 4th.

yay! thanks for the info. just found out i got the ucla secondary about 10 min ago! i was verified 7/11 so it's about time!!

Dear UCLA Secondary Application,

Please write yourself.

Love,

Drinklord

TicAL said:
I guess I'm the only one who still hasn't had their UCLA status page updated. I was verified mid-July and am in state too. :rolleyes:

I called up Davis today to ask about where they stand on sending out the secondaries. They're screening based on the date they recieved the application from AMCAS...the woman told me that right now they're on July 4th.

i'm still waiting on UCLA too (if it ever comes :( ) . i hope Davis is screening based on the date received from AMCAS posted on the application status page!! that still gives me hope (my page says Davis received my AMCAS 7/20...)

i was verified 6/23 and i have yet to hear from any UC besides davis...this sucks.

Is anyone else having problems accessing the Diversity and Honor Statements on the UCLA secondary website?

drinklord said:
Me too, with no email either. Thanks!

grendel said:
Is anyone else having problems accessing the Diversity and Honor Statements on the UCLA secondary website?

Yeah, a lot of their links don't work. In addition to the ones you mentioned, the requirements page and the disadvataged supplementary app. aren't working.

TicAL said:

Thanks for sharing this. Now I can wait for the news from Davis more patiently!

anystream said:
naysayer. you told me the same thing before i got my secondaries. don't make people feel like they're gonna get rejected! its kinda mean.

to the original poster: you weren't verified too long ago, I wouldn't worry about it. you probably won't get them for another week or so

Well I did have a rather negative experience last year. Sorry. I didn't say anything that was untrue. And people are going to get rejected, maybe not the average SDNer with their way above average stats, but the fact is that for the 2004 application year, more people were rejected than accepted nationwide.

Plus, would you rather be thinking that you're going to be rejected, and then not be, or be thinking you won't be and then be rejected?

TicAL said:

That's strange. I wasn't verified till 7/19 and I just got the Davis 2ndary. It says they received my AMCAS data on 7/25. Don't worry, I'm no gunner - 29 MCAT, 3.4 BCPM, non-trad re-applicant who worked in transplant for 5 years.

I guess it just proves once again that this process is totally random!

Verified 7/11, got UCLA secondary 8/12....no word from UCSD, UCSF...out of state.

Reactions: 1 user
my amcas was verified on 8/1 and i just got the invite from UCLA via snail mail today. sweet.

themissinlink said:
UCLA cuts to about 3000 (last year they had 5500 applicants), UCSF cuts to about 1500

Wow... 3000 secondaries and 150 matriculants. Even if they interview 600, that's a 1/5 chance for an interview. I might as well just pour my $60 down the drain... :(

medworm said:
Wow... 3000 secondaries and 150 matriculants. Even if they interview 600, that's a 1/5 chance for an interview. I might as well just pour my $60 down the drain... :(

i say go for it, if you were good enough for a secondary, well, who knows? :)

would anyone happen to know the number of cutoffs for irvine,davis,sd??

Overeducated said:
wow, I just checked too and found the same thing but never got an email.

wow, same here, its been that way since the 26th of July. They better not complain when I turn that sucker in late

Just found out that I got a UCSF secondary - no email, just on the status page. They said they received my AMCAS on 7/18; Out-of-state.

DeadorAlive said:
Just found out that I got a UCSF secondary - no email, just on the status page. They said they received my AMCAS on 7/18; Out-of-state.

do you mind sharin stats deadoralive.... really would like to at least get a secondary to that school and im out of state too

owenmichael said:
do you mind sharin stats deadoralive.... really would like to at least get a secondary to that school and im out of state too

Sure, although I am annoyingly pre-med. 38MCAT, 3.9GPA (both) at a top-10 ugrad (no it doesn't matter, just in case you were wondering) and have been out of school for a bit.

Good luck!!! I was just randomly checking the status page and saw that it actually had news. I'm surprised that they did not send an email, though, it seems that if you have deadlines (and they say 4 weeks - to receive everything) you would want to notify people and give them as much time to complete as possible... but yeah. Here's to hoping that lots of you see the same soon.

Does the UCSF secondary have any essays or anything I could prepare in advance? I am starting school in a week and would want to do the work now in case I recieve one.

doublepeak said:
Does the UCSF secondary have any essays or anything I could prepare in advance? I am starting school in a week and would want to do the work now in case I recieve one.

No. For the MD only, you can choose to write up to two pages of new/more info but it is not required (and only briefly mentioned). The joint berkeley program and MD/PhD I think have separate essays but I didn't look at them since I'm not applying.

DeadorAlive said:
No. For the MD only, you can choose to write up to two pages of new/more info but it is not required (and only briefly mentioned). The joint berkeley program and MD/PhD I think have separate essays but I didn't look at them since I'm not applying.
Thanks for the reply!

CA Resident

AMCAS Submitted: 7/7/05
AMCAS Verified: 7/15/05

MD
UCIrvine: Received AMCAS --- granted secondary on 7/25/05
UCDavis: Received 7/20 ---Secondary granted: 8/11/05
MSTP
UCLA: checked status page and received secondary on 7/26
UCSF: Received AMCAS 8/15/05 --- no secondary as of yet
UCSD: Received AMCAS 7/19 --- Secondary granted 8/15/05

Do people know where to find UCSD's MSTP portion? The application looks MD-only.

sharpnerd00 said:
CA Resident

AMCAS Submitted: 7/7/05
AMCAS Verified: 7/15/05

MD
UCIrvine: Received AMCAS --- granted secondary on 7/25/05
UCDavis: Received 7/20 ---Secondary granted: 8/11/05
MSTP
UCLA: checked status page and received secondary on 7/26
UCSF: Received AMCAS 8/15/05 --- no secondary as of yet
UCSD: Received AMCAS 7/19 --- Secondary granted 8/15/05

Do people know where to find UCSD's MSTP portion? The application looks MD-only.

thx, thats really helpful, good job getting past the screening, and good luck :)