UC Secondaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arierty

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone, who is not a Cali. resident, recieved a secondary from UCI or UCSD. I am just curious if they weed through their residence first and then maybe peek at our numbers before throwing us out... Yikes, I like to think I might have an inkling of a chance but it's been three weeks since they got my application and sent me that first e-mail. :confused: Okay, I am done venting, let me know about any news!

Members don't see this ad.

arierty said:
Has anyone, who is not a Cali. resident, recieved a secondary from UCI or UCSD. I am just curious if they weed through their residence first and then maybe peek at our numbers before throwing us out... Yikes, I like to think I might have an inkling of a chance but it's been three weeks since they got my application and sent me that first e-mail. :confused: Okay, I am done venting, let me know about any news!

I think your chances at getting into Irvine are approximately 0%. Sorry to break it to you.

i dont think it matters whether you are out of state or instate for SD. they will look at your stuff and send you a secondary if they like you. however if they dont like you, then they will keep you hanging and reject you at the last minute haha. good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey,

I just thought I would be a testament against everyone's pessimism, (more like I am really excited and want to share it) I finally got a secondary invite from UCSD and I'm not instate! I'd almost given up on checking from them but patience is a virtue. :)

yeah i am not an in-state resident and I got one from ucsd on tuesday. i have a ton of relatives in san diego so i'd love to go there but it would be a needle in a haystack to actually get in....

same situation as you, carlene... i was born in SD, virtually all relatives live in south cal, but i'm an out of stater. didn't get a secondary yet... doubting i will get one.

I've got family there too, all over so cal. So, it would be cool to actually get in there... but there's still a long way to go from having gotten the secondary, IT IS LONG!

Back when I applied to UCSD (and every other UC school), I got a secondary! Of course, I went to UCSD for undergrad...that might have made a difference (or not).

Then again, maybe they just wanted my money. :(

Out of staters/foreign kids have a better shot at getting into UCSF or Stanford in Cali than UCLA, UCSD, UCI, or UCD...I think all the schools send out a fair amount of secondaries to out of state residents but when I interveiwed at almost all the UC's and the only out of state resident I met was an Indiana resident who went to Harvard at my UCSF interview...My advice would probably be not to give up the $60 secondary fee to any of the colleges other than UCSF, unless you are the best. Good luck all!

yeah i am debating not filling out the UC secondaries I may or may not
recieve (except for UCSF, thanks for the heads up) since it does seem
like a pretty big waste. however, i went to harvard as well and have a
pretty strong app so maybe its worth it.

arierty said:
Hey,

I just thought I would be a testament against everyone's pessimism, (more like I am really excited and want to share it) I finally got a secondary invite from UCSD and I'm not instate! I'd almost given up on checking from them but patience is a virtue. :)

When you say checking from them, do you mean you actually email or call them before you got seconday invitation? I thought we were supposed to wait for the invitation. I didn't do anything but regularly check my emails. Should I jump to action now?

Qinnu

UCI has %0 out-of-sate, no matter what stats an applicant might have...

quinnu,

UCSD and UCI sent me links to a website to check if I had been granted a secondary. they say they'll e-mail you too but it could take up to five weeks, so i check the website and the UCSD page now says secondary sent. and gives a link to upload the secondary on word or pdf.

Bubchik said:
UCI has %0 out-of-sate, no matter what stats an applicant might have...

As far as i've heard this isn't a policy, just last years entering class. I've got hope, not the pessimism most everyone else around here seems to enjoy throwing on others :)

Woot! Tennessee resident, just got invite for UCSD :)

Thats strange. I got an email sent to me on the same day that I was approved for a secondary.