UC tuition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SharkFan3

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody. I just wanted to know if all you California residents out there had heard about the proposed 40% tuition increase (plus an additional possible 10% increase per year after this year) and if it is affecting anybody's decision to stay in state.

Members don't see this ad.

there was another thread on this...

but no its not affecting my decision at all. In the end...the UCs are excellent medical schools...gives me the best chance at residency instate and still cheaper than out of state tuition.

ahh and its not tuition but "fees"...but yeah...same thing basically.

it would have to be a pretty damn good school to get me to leave cali...but fortunately my top choices are all cali schools.

Watch out. People might come out of the woodwork and get mad at you about this ;)

But seriously, it's still a great deal compared to other schools and prolly won't end up affecting peoples choices to to much. The biggest beneficiaries of this would be my school and Stanford, but I don't think many people would leave the state because of this.

Members don't see this ad :)
When all is said and done it may not be 40%, could be more, could be less. The real budget won't be set for several more months. I commented on that a bunch on the other thread about this.

While I am not happy about the tuition increase, it will not impact my decision to stay here. I definitely would go to any of the UC's I have interviewed at over the out-of-state schools I applied to. The only tough choice I would have is if I am lucky enough to get into both a UC and Stanford and the tuition hike was 40-50%. Then Stanford really wouldn't cost that much more, and maybe less since they give nice aid packages. Anyway, I am not holding my breath that I will have this choice to make, but it's always nice to dream.

:)

Originally posted by Jalby
Watch out. People might come out of the woodwork and get mad at you about this ;)

But seriously, it's still a great deal compared to other schools and prolly won't end up affecting peoples choices to to much. The biggest beneficiaries of this would be my school and Stanford, but I don't think many people would leave the state because of this.

I agree...that'll change my decision as I'll pay out of state tuition if I go back to UCLA for med school. But that's IF I get into a California private school.