UC tuitions going up

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jalby

I fight crime at day when Batman are sleeping.
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had from a good source about 2 months ago that the UC's were going to be raising their fees to at least 20K. Looks like it might be more according to an article in today's LATimes.

Schwarzenegger Pushing to Raise College Fees 10% to 44%

SACRAMENTO ? Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger plans to propose a 10% fee increase for Californians attending college at the University of California and California State University and a fee hike of up to 40% for graduate students at the universities, sources familiar with the governor's budget said Wednesday.

At the same time, the budget is expected to contain reductions in college financial aid for students from moderate-income families.

Diana Fuentes-Michel, executive director of the California Student Aid Commission, said she expects the governor's proposal to tighten qualifications for Cal Grants, the state's main financial aid program.

The move likely would eliminate financial aid for some students by lowering the ceiling used to determine which families are eligible for aid. Currently, students from a family of four are eligible for aid if the family income is no more than $66,700. Fuentes-Michel said she expects the maximum size of the Cal Grant awards ? which currently range from $1,551 for community college students to $9,700 a year for students attending private universities ? to remain unchanged, but that reductions are possible there as well. The cost of the program has increased rapidly in recent years.

Any fee hikes for the UC and CSU systems would come on top of increases for undergraduate and graduate students in the past 13 months of about 40% ? the steepest fee hikes in state history.

Both university systems raised undergraduate student fees by 30% before the current fall term began, a jump that followed a rise of 10% to 15% for undergraduate and graduate students, respectively, in December 2002.

For professional school students, those same December fee increases ranged from 19% to 26%.

The governor's budget is not expected to provide better news for the state's community college students. Officials at the two-year colleges have said they are preparing for the governor to propose raising fees from $18 to $26 per credit, a 44% increase.

That move would follow a fee increase last year for community college students, from $11 to $18 a credit. The state's budget crisis also has forced the colleges to cut course offerings significantly in that time period, with more students crowding into the remaining classes.

Even with the fee increases Schwarzenegger is expected to propose, UC and Cal State fees for undergraduates who are residents of California would be lower than the average of comparable public universities in other states.

For Cal State schools, systemwide fees for undergraduate students who are California residents stand at $2,572 for the current year. A 10% increase would add $257 to the total. Individual campuses add additional fees to the systemwide figure. Cal State's 23 campuses have 410,000 students, primarily undergraduates.

At UC, undergraduate students who are California residents now pay mandatory systemwide fees totaling $4,984. Campuses also charge miscellaneous fees, which boost the total average fees for an undergraduate to about $5,530.

Graduate students who are California residents now pay systemwide fees at UC of about $5,200; with campus fees included, that figure rises to $6,843 for average total fees.

Students attending UC law, medicine and business schools pay substantially higher fees. To attend the UCLA law school, for example, a California resident now pays $17,011.

The budget Schwarzenegger will present Friday also is expected to call for a 20% rise in tuition for non-resident students at the two public university systems, according to sources familiar with the governor's spending plan.

Students who are not California residents currently pay $19,740 per year in UC tuition. Graduate student tuition for nonresidents is now $19,333. At the UCLA law school, tuition for nonresidents $29,256.

For the 2002-03 academic year, the UC campuses had around 192,000 students ? about 148,000 undergraduates and 44,000 graduate students.

In his State of the State address Tuesday, Schwarzenegger proposed capping annual student fee increases for the state's university systems at 10%, but did not specify whether he was referring to undergraduate or graduate students.

In his speech, the governor spoke of the necessity of ending what he described as the "boom-and-bust cycle of wildly fluctuating fees with a predictable, capped fee policy" for college students.

"And we must limit fee increases to no more than 10% a year," Schwarzenegger said. "Like our kindergarten through 12th grade schools, our colleges and universities must also share the burden of the fiscal crisis."

Late Wednesday, a spokesman for the Department of Finance said Schwarzenegger was referring only to undergraduate students when he proposed a cap on university fee increases.

"The governor's comment in the State of the State speech was in regard to undergraduate fees," Palmer said.

Palmer would not confirm the amount of the increases for graduate students and non-residents, saying they would be disclosed when the budget is released on Friday. But another source said: "At the graduate level, they are recommending a very big increase, like in the neighborhood of 40%."

Fee increases for graduate and professional schools have generally been less politically sensitive than increases for undergraduates.

UC and CSU officials declined to comment late Wednesday on the governor's proposed fee increases. The two system's governing boards ultimately set the actual fees that students pay, based on the level of state funding provided by the governor and the Legislature.

Schwarzenegger already has made midyear reductions of $53.6 million to the two university systems.

Members don't see this ad.

Let's repeal the car tax, but raise tuition like mad!!!! ****ing *****s who voted for this guy :mad:! The money has got to come from somewhere, but why students? That sham "election" was a true manifestation of how selfish Californians truly are. They won't pay more on the car tax, and are willing to let so many services dwindle! GRRR :mad:!!!

good thing the UC are probably all going to reject me.

Oh wait, even with the hikes its still more than 10k cheaper than the privates.

crap.

Members don't see this ad :)
If a 40% increase happens to the UCs this year and within the next years we see increases of about 10%, it's only going to be a few years time until the UCs are as expensive as the private schools.

Also don't forget something exmike. If a state med school costs 25,000 for instate and a private med school about 32,000 - then a difference like that can be overcome by the financial aid packet of the private school.

Let's F*ck over the future of California's economy and make sure we decrease the quality of our educated persons within California.

In my opinion, education should be last to be reduced/harmed. Again, in my opinion, education is absolutely vital for the future of any given economy.

Whatever, just my unsubstantiated $.02 . :mad:

Don't you guys think that the private Cali schools (stanford, usc, loma linda) will also raise their tuition, maybe not as much, but still raise it, if the UCs do?

Damn, they should have told us this sooner. When can I get the exact number, does anyone know?

I'm just glad I'm graduating from Berkeley this year. Used to be I could work for the summer and make my tuition. This is the first semester ever that I've had to take out a loan. I mean, they just upped the tuition by a lot, (it turned out to be ~900 bucks a semester, I think) and now they're going to do it again? Unbelievable.

Nanon

Originally posted by DoctorKevin
Damn, they should have told us this sooner. When can I get the exact number, does anyone know?

It looks like the budget will be released on Friday and so you'll probably will have a better idea then.

Originally posted by snowbear
Don't you guys think that the private Cali schools (stanford, usc, loma linda) will also raise their tuition, maybe not as much, but still raise it, if the UCs do?

I am particulairly interested in Jalby's response, hint hint.

It looks like the budget will be released on Friday and so you'll probably will have a better idea then.

haha yeah i should read before i speak, damn add

Speaking from the knowledge that I personally know, I can gauruntee that 1/3 of those schools not raise their prices. And I can also say that 1/3 or more of the schools like the information presented above.

Well, you guys aren't the only ones getting your tuition raised. New York raised SUNY tuition by almost $1000 for this year, and now they want to raise it again (for undergrad but I think they raised med school tuition too). I know people who really got screwed over because of it. Just shows how the government doesn't give a crap about teenagers and young people since they don't vote often.

Members don't see this ad :)
CSU had a tuition raise of 1,000 over the past 2 years. I was reading somewhere that their tuition went from 1,500 to 2,500 or something within that range.

As far as the private schools in CA. I think that they won't raise their tuitions. There is a simple reason for that. The private schools in CA are not *JUST* competing with the UCs but also with the midwest and east coast private schools. Stanford wouldn't want someone rejecting them over tuition matters and accepting a spot at Columbia.

Are private schools impacted by state budget cuts? Do the resident states subsidize the schools at all?

I believe the national average for private medical schools is that they up their tuition on average, 3% every year. I heard this while interviewing at sinai and g-town.

Are private schools impacted by state budget cuts? Do the resident states subsidize the schools at all?

yes, private schools are impacted by state budget cuts. For example, good ole arnold's budget not only increases tuition, but cuts federal aid by reducing awards and lowering the income cap for eligibility. Therefore...the difference has to be made up somehow for losses in cal grants, pell grants, etc., either through tuition hikes, increases in loans or generous gifts from the alumni.

Isnt california medical school tuition $0 (its the fees that are the tuition). So I guess that means 40% higher than $0 is... $0?

I dont know offhand the tuition, but what kind of tuition are yall looking at?

The fees are like 15K ish I think... and that's what they are referring to...

the article said that FEES will go up 40% so it's not forty percent of 0$ :) it's a forty percent increase of alot of fee dollars...

Originally posted by Tezzie
CSU had a tuition raise of 1,000 over the past 2 years. I was reading somewhere that their tuition went from 1,500 to 2,500 or something within that range.

As far as the private schools in CA. I think that they won't raise their tuitions. There is a simple reason for that. The private schools in CA are not *JUST* competing with the UCs but also with the midwest and east coast private schools. Stanford wouldn't want someone rejecting them over tuition matters and accepting a spot at Columbia.

HA...Columbia over Stanford..."location, location, location"

-Harps

Originally posted by Harps
HA...Columbia over Stanford..."location, location, location"

-Harps

Sorry but in my book all of the NYC schools pwn Stanford in terms of location.

Although Palo Alto is safe and somewhat nice - it also seems to be the most dull place on the planet.

Although Palo Alto is safe and somewhat nice - it also seems to be the most dull place on the planet.

i agree and i'm a cali resident:thumbup:

me too, i live in the bay area north of palo alto and there is no reason why anyone would ever go to palo alto to hang out, there's nothing to do....

Tuition last year for UC's was 16 or 17K. Technically, it is a fee since tuitions are by california laws not allowed to be charged for the CSU's and UC's. As for one private Cali school, over the last 5 years we went from 35K to 36.9K tuition. Went from third most expensive to 13th in that time. Of course, there is only like a 2K difference to get down to about the 40th spot.

Last time I carefully checked, Columbia wasn't exactly in NYC;)

-Harps

Going to school in St. Louis and saying Palo Alto is dull..hmmm

-Harps

St. Louis > Palo Alto

Id have to disagree, Ive been to both and Palo Alto seems to be the better city IMHO. Of course, you get what you pay for, as the cost of living in Palo Alto is extremely high when compared to STL.

Please do a search.

St. Louis is ignored because people seem to THINK that there are not lots of stuff to do here when actually there are great clubs, restaurants, theatrical productions, etc.

Every single weekend there is something else to do.

I see St. Louis like a "mini-Chicago". And if there is truly something that i can't find here, i can jump in my car with my friends and just drive to good ol CHI :)

Please do a search.

St. Louis is ignored because people seem to THINK that there are not lots of stuff to do here when actually there are great clubs, restaurants, theatrical productions, etc.

Every single weekend there is something else to do.

I see St. Louis like a "mini-Chicago". And if there is truly something that i can't find here, i can jump in my car with my friends and just drive to good ol CHI :)

Search on what?

I think STL is a perfectly nice city, and Im glad you like it there. But for me, Id prefer to live in Palo Alto because the weather and area are nicer, and there is a lot to do there. That said, I dont know if I could afford Palo Alto.

Sorry. It seems i missed to type the whole sentence. I meant search for previous post on the subject.

I hate to do thread hijacking. The weather kinda sucks in St. Louis and is definately not as great as California. But St. Louis in itself is a very diverse city with clubs and restaurants that could easily be seen in NYC or LA.

Seriously guys. Just whip them out and get it over with. ;)

Wow, looks like the UC's won't be quite the steal that they used to be thanks to Ahnuld. They used to be comparable in tuition to the Texas schools, but now it's nowhere close.

As far the current (friendly) argument about cities goes, in my book they align as NYC > the Lou > Palo Alto. I'd change that list around in a heartbeat if it was considering San Fran instead of Palo Alto. Although, having just been to Columbia for an interview, I'm afraid to say that it gets outrageously pwned in its location among the Manhattan schools. It's no contest. Heck, I'd even say that AE has a more desirable location than Columbia.

tf

[political thing] notice how there were national Tax cuts for the rich, governments get so strapped that it forces increased tuitions for state schools. Middle class then has to pay more for their kids to go to school. What was a tax decrease for them now become a tax raise. [/political thing]

and they laughed at me for wanting to pay the car tax.....sigh...:(

Originally posted by priscy921
me too, i live in the bay area north of palo alto and there is no reason why anyone would ever go to palo alto to hang out, there's nothing to do....

I've lived in the bay area for a lot of my life and I think that Palo Alto is a cool town. Everyone from my area would go to Palo Alto often for shows, bars, restaurants, shopping, etc. It's also pretty close to SF, but not nearly as expensive. Palo Alto is my hood, and if you hate on Palo Alto, then you're hating on me.

arnold is a *****, and i'm glad to say that i did not vote for him. i cannot believe he is looking at education, public health, and welfare as his primary targets. i suppose these are the biggies, but i would prefer a friggin car tax to big changes in these areas.
uc tuition was something like $11,000 two years ago. from 11,000 to 22,500 in two years -- wow. that should be a crime! i'd imagine this would be very upsetting to those who chose a uc for purely financial reasons.
palo alto is not a city, so comparing it to ny and st louis is like comparing apples and oranges.

So basically, the rich can buy an extra SUV or BMW without a state tax, while the poor and middle classes are forced to pay higher more just to get an education.

Good job Arnold, about as good as Red Sonja.

Guess we have the rich, Republicans down in Orange County to thank for electing Ahhhnold.

I guarantee that Gray Davis, even with his faults, would have never have screwed over education like the Terminator did. This is absolutely ridiculous. How can they get away with this? Are you telling me that there is no other way to raise money than to screw over the very people who will be running this state in a few years? And we're stuck with this guy for 3 freakin' years?

:confused:

Gah it's going to an increase in tuition that I'm going to have to pay every year. Not many students buy cars every single year....pfft. I'd rather have the government raise taxes. A lot of students don't work so, raising taxes would do a lot less direct harm than raising tuition. May the UC students that cheered the repeal of the car tax feel the burn in their wallets. +pissed+ +pissed+

-------------
Originally posted by UCSBPre-Med1

Guess we have the rich, Republicans down in Orange County to thank for electing Ahhhnold.

I guarantee that Gray Davis, even with his faults, would have never have screwed over education like the Terminator did. This is absolutely ridiculous. How can they get away with this? Are you telling me that there is no other way to raise money than to screw over the very people who will be running this state in a few years? And we're stuck with this guy for 3 freakin' years?

--------------

Unfortunately, I don't think it was only the rich, OC Republicans who voted Arnold in. He got about ~54 or 55 % of the vote, which means a whole lot of people supported him. (Granted the competition was comical). Why anyone would think a guy who wears make-up and blows **** up for a living would be qualified to be the CEO of the 7th largest economy and sign off on 3000 legislative bills a year is beyond me.

-1d

Originally posted by TheFlash
They used to be comparable in tuition to the Texas schools, but now it's nowhere close.
Texas schools are going up too, but you're right, nowhere near that much. Public schools seems to be going up about $1K or so this next year.

I'm kind of interested to see what is going to happen to Baylor. I think it was Gleevec that posted an article that said something ridiculous (like 60%) of their funding might be getting cut from the state. They have a good alumni base, but not THAT good.

Originally posted by seaworthc

I'm kind of interested to see what is going to happen to Baylor. I think it was Gleevec that posted an article that said something ridiculous (like 60%) of their funding might be getting cut from the state. They have a good alumni base, but not THAT good.

Baylor has a sweet funding where Texas pays for all state residents there to get the same tuition as a UT school. Not to surprised that would be on the cutting block.

Originally posted by UCSBPre-Med1

... and to think that when I graduate this coming May from undergrad, I will have the terminator's signature on my college diploma... *sigh* ... at least it will make for an interesting story to tell my kids. :rolleyes:

Just for the record: The people in the bay area voted 3:1 against the recall.

Originally posted by seaworthc
Texas schools are going up too, but you're right, nowhere near that much. Public schools seems to be going up about $1K or so this next year.

Actually, that funding cut was for ALL Texas schools, including Baylor and all the public state schools.

All the tuition figures for this coming year on their site are the same as before though, Id imagine they would have to inform possible matriculants about what the tuition would be before May 15th.

Also, if a huge tuition hike were to occur at Baylor, it would instantly lose a vast majority of its in-staters to UTSW probably. I doubt Baylor would be willing to allow this to occur.

PS. For some reason I cant find the original article I posted a long time ago. If anyone could dig it up I would appreciate it.

Originally posted by Gleevec

All the tuition figures for this coming year on their site are the same as before though, Id imagine they would have to inform possible matriculants about what the tuition would be before May 15th.

I highly doubt a school would send out a letter to applicants or alert them of a coming tuition rise. Mybe once financial aid gets to the students in June. I know that is when I first learned the exact costs of schools and the financial aid they will give you.

Originally posted by Jalby
I highly doubt a school would send out a letter to applicants or alert them of a coming tuition rise. Mybe once financial aid gets to the students in June. I know that is when I first learned the exact costs of schools and the financial aid they will give you.

That sucks. Is there a date by which schools are required to have their tuition policies for the following year submitted? I was thinking about contacting the finaid office around that date.