Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

UC (University of California) Information

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by California, Feb 28, 2002.

1. California

California Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions/comments about the application process at University of California Medical Schools. It seems so random for some people and yet consistent for others. I am just confused. Also, did anyone have any bad experiences interviewing at UC schools? Any good experiences? Any advice on what to do after the interview to really show interest in the school? I just interviewed at UCSD, which I really want to attend. The interviews went really well, but I'm still worried. Does the school put interviewed applicants on HOLD? If the interviews go well, does that translate into an acceptance. I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE ANY THOUGHTS OR COMMENTS.
    -------------------------------
    I was also wondering if anyone could comment on UCLA, UC Irvine, and USC (sorry to mention a non-UC school). Looking through all the chat rooms, I think we can all agree these three schools have not held up their end of the bargain of treating applicants with respect. So many applicants turned in their secondary applications before October 2001 and have not heard a decision regarding an interview. Any input?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. none

none 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Sorry, that overall question was a bit too vague. SD does make up a waitlist like everybody else.

4. Scooby Doo

Scooby Doo IEatShavedPussyCats
    10+ Year Member

The UC's suck....

Plain and simple...

5. matthew0126

matthew0126 Anaheim Angels
    7+ Year Member

hey hey scoobs,

seems like i'm the defender of the u.c.'s. you post somewhere and i follow :D

best system in the country, bar none.

california, in answer to your question, if your interview went "really well" like you said, i think you should have pretty good chances. 50% of ucsd intervieweeds are admitted. don't you love that? much better system to do the weeding at the secondary than make you waste your time/money/effort to fly all the way somewhere... when you only have 10% chance

if the process is still the same now in march, you will hear in 3 weeks (by e-mail first)

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Scooby Doo:
    <strong>The UC's suck....

Plain and simple...</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

6. altaskier

altaskier Altaholics Anonymous 92'
    7+ Year Member

I agree! UC's rule!

7. none

none 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

As an overall system, they are great. There just aren't enough of the UC med schools. I'm still pushing for UCMSOM. :)

8. El Jefe

El Jefe The Jefe
    7+ Year Member

I would like these UC's a lot more if one of the bastards would accept me :D . Nah just kidding you really can't do much better for the money at any other med school.

9. Scooby Doo

Scooby Doo IEatShavedPussyCats
    10+ Year Member

UC's are the bomb for the money...but they suck since NONE of them interviewed me!

10. vyc

vyc Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

i tend to agree with Scooby Doo.
    who knows if i would actually have gone but damn.
    i got interviewed at UCSD and then was placed in the "acceptable pool" = glorified waitlist.
    but i got absolutely no love from UCLA, flat out rejected post-secondary. and was put on hold for an interview at UCSF.

i am most peeved about UCLA. i won't go into the details but i thought for sure i'd at least get an interview. (read: published as second author while i worked there, strong rec from SOM faculty, etc)

i still stand by my claim that they prefer UC undergrads.

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Scooby Doo:
    <strong>UC's are the bomb for the money...but they suck since NONE of them interviewed me!</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

11. matthew0126

matthew0126 Anaheim Angels
    7+ Year Member

fireegg, i believ eyou are reading that wrong

8 people got accepted, 1 matriculated (the average mcat of 37 was for the 8 people accepted)

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by fireegg:
    <strong>Check this out. These are the avg stats for students accepted to top 20 and UC schools from Berkeley. One person got into Irvine, and he/she had a 37 for MCAT. What the hell?

<a href="http://career.berkeley.edu/MedStats/19972000top20.stm" target="_blank">http://career.berkeley.edu/MedStats/19972000top20.stm</a></strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

12. vyc

vyc Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

yea but without knowing anything else about this applicant, it's really hard to explain!
    duh.

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by fireegg:
    <strong>Check this out. These are the avg stats for students accepted to top 20 and UC schools from Berkeley. One person got into Irvine, and he/she had a 37 for MCAT. What the hell?

<a href="http://career.berkeley.edu/MedStats/19972000top20.stm" target="_blank">http://career.berkeley.edu/MedStats/19972000top20.stm</a></strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

13. rajneel1

rajneel1 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

no love from socal UCs. not sure why. very disappointed by this.

14. none

none 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by rajneel1:
    <strong>no love from socal UCs. not sure why. very disappointed by this.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Why? Because there are way too many of us and not nearly enough of them.