UC (University of California) Information

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

California

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions/comments about the application process at University of California Medical Schools. It seems so random for some people and yet consistent for others. I am just confused. Also, did anyone have any bad experiences interviewing at UC schools? Any good experiences? Any advice on what to do after the interview to really show interest in the school? I just interviewed at UCSD, which I really want to attend. The interviews went really well, but I'm still worried. Does the school put interviewed applicants on HOLD? If the interviews go well, does that translate into an acceptance. I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE ANY THOUGHTS OR COMMENTS.
-------------------------------
I was also wondering if anyone could comment on UCLA, UC Irvine, and USC (sorry to mention a non-UC school). Looking through all the chat rooms, I think we can all agree these three schools have not held up their end of the bargain of treating applicants with respect. So many applicants turned in their secondary applications before October 2001 and have not heard a decision regarding an interview. Any input?

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry, that overall question was a bit too vague. SD does make up a waitlist like everybody else.

The UC's suck....

Plain and simple...

Members don't see this ad :)
hey hey scoobs,

seems like i'm the defender of the u.c.'s. you post somewhere and i follow :D

best system in the country, bar none.

california, in answer to your question, if your interview went "really well" like you said, i think you should have pretty good chances. 50% of ucsd intervieweeds are admitted. don't you love that? much better system to do the weeding at the secondary than make you waste your time/money/effort to fly all the way somewhere... when you only have 10% chance

if the process is still the same now in march, you will hear in 3 weeks (by e-mail first)

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Scooby Doo:
•The UC's suck....

Plain and simple...•••••

I agree! UC's rule!

As an overall system, they are great. There just aren't enough of the UC med schools. I'm still pushing for UCMSOM. :)

I would like these UC's a lot more if one of the bastards would accept me :D . Nah just kidding you really can't do much better for the money at any other med school.

UC's are the bomb for the money...but they suck since NONE of them interviewed me!

i tend to agree with Scooby Doo.
who knows if i would actually have gone but damn.
i got interviewed at UCSD and then was placed in the "acceptable pool" = glorified waitlist.
but i got absolutely no love from UCLA, flat out rejected post-secondary. and was put on hold for an interview at UCSF.

i am most peeved about UCLA. i won't go into the details but i thought for sure i'd at least get an interview. (read: published as second author while i worked there, strong rec from SOM faculty, etc)

i still stand by my claim that they prefer UC undergrads.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Scooby Doo:
•UC's are the bomb for the money...but they suck since NONE of them interviewed me!•••••

fireegg, i believ eyou are reading that wrong

8 people got accepted, 1 matriculated (the average mcat of 37 was for the 8 people accepted)

•••quote:•••Originally posted by fireegg:
•Check this out. These are the avg stats for students accepted to top 20 and UC schools from Berkeley. One person got into Irvine, and he/she had a 37 for MCAT. What the hell?

<a href="http://career.berkeley.edu/MedStats/19972000top20.stm" target="_blank">http://career.berkeley.edu/MedStats/19972000top20.stm</a>•••••

yea but without knowing anything else about this applicant, it's really hard to explain!
duh.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by fireegg:
•Check this out. These are the avg stats for students accepted to top 20 and UC schools from Berkeley. One person got into Irvine, and he/she had a 37 for MCAT. What the hell?

<a href="http://career.berkeley.edu/MedStats/19972000top20.stm" target="_blank">http://career.berkeley.edu/MedStats/19972000top20.stm</a>•••••

no love from socal UCs. not sure why. very disappointed by this.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by rajneel1:
•no love from socal UCs. not sure why. very disappointed by this.•••••Why? Because there are way too many of us and not nearly enough of them.