Quantcast

UCD/Irish Adventure Begins!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jocks

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Howdy Y'all,

I'm in Dublin now, just touring around for a few days until orientation starts. I can't really tell you much about Dublin as I've only been here a day...young ppl...nobody seems to wear hats...Guiness tatstes much better here. But everybody seems really friendly and downtown Dublin is a lot of fun.

Cheers,
Jocks

M

Mr. McDuck

WOO! I got all excited reading your post, and I'm just applying. I hope that next year I can make the exact same post! Good luck, and keep all of us that are just starting the application process updated.

JediBookworm

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Cool, I went to Dublin from London for a day in August just to visit UCD and Trinity. I also saw RCSI from the outside but it was closed. I was without a map of the city so I didn't realize that O'Connell St was on the other side of the river... Also, I hadn't known that UCD Med is located in the city centre until December 2006, so I only noticed one of the medical buildings there. But I did see the UCD Health Sciences Centre (Belfield), which was partially fenced in front.

pattycanuck

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
On behalf of those of us are back home and who have previously come to Ireland, made something of it, enjoyed our time there, received more than an education, I wish all of you the best of luck on this, the next phase of your life ... and the start of your medical careers!

Make new friends, learn about medicine, learn about Ireland and Europe, and more importantly, learn about yourself.

Above all, you can only get out of it what you put into it.

Good luck on your forward journey! :thumbup:

TraumaCheers

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
On behalf of those of us are back home and who have previously come to Ireland, made something of it, enjoyed our time there, received more than an education, QUOTE]

Er, you mean, like, a WIFE?? :D

pattycanuck

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
On behalf of those of us are back home and who have previously come to Ireland, made something of it, enjoyed our time there, received more than an education, QUOTE]

Er, you mean, like, a WIFE?? :D
Hey traumacheers ... noticed you on the board! Irish women are a fine bunch ... and one of them hunted me down ... :D

How's life being Duke's Dr. Luca Kovac? Oh ... Blue Devil ladies ... be still your beating hearts ... casanova is in town!

Was at Woodenheads recently with the WIFE and friends and thought of you and Evan there ... still loads of talent and broken hearts you've left behind ;)

Me an MD??

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey traumacheers ... noticed you on the board! Irish women are a fine bunch ... and one of them hunted me down ... :D

How's life being Duke's Dr. Luca Kovac? Oh ... Blue Devil ladies ... be still your beating hearts ... casanova is in town!

Was at Woodenheads recently with the WIFE and friends and thought of you and Evan there ... still loads of talent and broken hearts you've left behind ;)

MMMM Woodenheads ... great pizza!!!!

M

Mr. McDuck

I think this is the first time someone has hijacked an entire forum just about. :laugh:

pattycanuck

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think this is the first time someone has hijacked an entire forum just about. :laugh:
I wouldn't call it hijacking ... just a extension of the original post (ie how a UCD/Irish adventure can end with good friends and reminiscing of old times :laugh:

M

Mr. McDuck

Hey, I wasn't complaining! I feel like we should be sitting in rocking chairs smoking pipes and drinking scotch.

pattycanuck

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ah scotch ... get used to drinking more Jameson though :D Guinness for the normal and tourist type and Dutch Gold Beer - Beer of Champions (ie cheap students)!

Speaking of which ... I am in the YYZ Maple Leaf Louge (yes one of the benefits of going to school overseas is the fact that you fly a lot during the year = status miles for at least Aeroplan Elite (Star Alliance Gold) or Oneworld or Sky Team, etc. Free booze!!!! Just heading back to Kingston after the long weekend back home.

M

Mr. McDuck

Heh. I actually don't drink alcohol at all, but I'll share a bottle of water with you.

Members don't see this ad :)

FireMed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well that will make at least two of us that won't be drinking. Kind of tricky when so much of the Irish culture revolves around drinking and the pubs.

Maybe by next year they won't drink as much............:eek:

M

Mr. McDuck

Yeah, thus far I'm not actually in Ireland yet. If I get in, however, I don't think I'll have too much trouble refraining from drinking. But, I will have some trouble not going out and having a good time!

J

jujube

I don't drink either...if we all meet up as classmates next year, maybe we should all form some kind of alternate social club for non-drinkers:) This is a silly question but my main concern is food---is there a cheap supermarket/grocers in Dublin? I don't mind cooking, I'm just worried about the cost. Somebody mentioned Tesco's, right?

Arb

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Tesco's yes. Almost a 30 minute walk by St. Vincent's. Still not too sure about the bus routes yet...

Also, there's apparently a store at Merville. Haven't been to that yet.

pattycanuck

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Tesco's yes. Almost a 30 minute walk by St. Vincent's. Still not too sure about the bus routes yet...

Also, there's apparently a store at Merville. Haven't been to that yet.

To further clarify, the number 2 bus route goes by the Merrion Centre/ SVUH - just past Elm Park Golf Club on Nutley Lane. It runs every 45 minutes or so weekdays and 1-2 hourly on Sundays/holidays. This Tescos is notoriously the most expensive Tescos in the country due to the area and richer clientelle.

Find a friend who drives a car and go to other establishments relatively close by ... Cornelscourt (Dunnes Stores) or even Stillorgan (which you can take bus route 46A - much more regular) to visit the Tescos there.

The story with Merville is that the shop has/is/will continue to be grossly expensive - only to be used as a last resort. I was an RA for 2 years there in Belfield and over the years, things haven't changed.

Badkarma25

UCD Med Class of 2008
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i hate to break it to all of you who might be trying to save a buck in ireland, but you're simply not going ot be able to. you won't find a grocery store anywehre near belfield that will be cheaper....everything being grossly expensive is something you will have to get used to very quickly. on the bright side, it's only 5 years.

Arb

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Things are going great so far. I've met lots of cool students (Germans, Polish, French, etc.) and cool classmates (both Irish and foreign) as well. There are LOTS of Canadian med students; there are much more of them than American students.

I went to the Tescos in Dundrum today. It's situated in a new mall and it's quite nice. Also lots of shopping available by St. Stephen's Green which is beautiful by the way.

Things are extremely expensive here. I have to stop converting the Euro to Canadian dollars soon...and find a part time job.

leorl

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
fresh fruits and vegetables are expensive (unless you go to the open air stands but their produce lasts only like 2 days before going bad), toiletries are expensive (unless you buy on sale from boots). The most expensive thing is going out a lot on those pub/club nights!

Badkarma25

UCD Med Class of 2008
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
you'll learn to bring things like razorblades (super expensive) or deodorant (not available) from home. saves you lots of money. you definitely need to stop converting from euro to canadian. you'll drive yourself crazy. yeah there are tons of canadians at ucd. wait til med day. wed oct 4. we'll be dressed like women, getting drunk and running down grafton st. all i nthe name of charity.

Arb

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have to stop going out! Spending so much money this week but, we Canadians are needed to show the Irish how to have a good time :). They're so young.

leorl

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
yes, gd it. Trinity starts last. think it has something to do with they NUIs and the way exams are timetabled. None of the universities have enough space in their universities to accommodate everyone taking exams in the spring, so the universities have to stagger it to share facilities (ie the RDS in Donnybrook).

benzylique

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Leorl.

For a second there I thought that I was missing out on something!