UCD vs. SGU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kelpywaters

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Trying to figure out expenses between University College Dublin and St. George's. Tuition is slightly more at SGU but cost of living seems to be significantly less. Attracted to SGU because of the weather but UCD seems like an excellent university and life experience. Just curious if any one else has been in this boat.

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely go to UCD. I go to SGU and it isn't the vacation we all started out thinking it would be. The average monthly electric bill down here is like $250-$300 if you plan on using air-conditioning for the majority of the day. We pay about $2,000 for a two bedroom condo as well, which isn't too terrible. Groceries here are majorly overpriced because the island has to import just about everything too. The weather and nature is pretty incredible, but in med school you seldom get to take advantage of it due to a packed study/lab/lecture schedule. Also, Grenada is NOTHING like America or any other developed country. The glitz and glamour of its gorgeous beaches wears off after a month or so and you are left in an undeveloped country where every little amenity you took for granted in America becomes a major problem and headache. If youre White or Asian you instantly become a target of the local Grenadians too. They intimidate, swindle, and cat-call "tourists" at an alarming rate. They will also ask you if you want to purchase drugs frequently because they assume you are some college kid down there to party. I don't regret going the SGU route, but I would never recommend it to someone over a school like UCD. No one believes me when I tell them this, but after 4 months of nothing but sunny and 85 degrees (combined with the exorbitant price for air-conditioning) you will get sick of it, I promise. You'll be happier in Dublin.

Reactions: 1 users
Opps, a little late since I already chose SGU but thanks for your insight! I have lived and worked extensively in developing countries so am not too worried about the culture shock or missing amenities. Trust me, being a young white woman in a small town in Uganda, you get used to a lot of unwanted attention... It essentially came down to a personal decision based on previous issues with chronic depression in cloudy environments and the feasibility of being able to move with my dog, continue a relationship, work during summers, and do clinicals in the states. Also it will be easier to cut on finances in Grenada versus Dublin, in my opinion. But it's great to hear someone else's perspective on it!