UCD vs. UW

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alexlex143

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I am super fortunate to be deciding between these 2 great schools. I'd appreciate some advice on my dilemma here. I'm quite overwhelmed with this decision. Really, these 2 programs are nearly polar opposites in my opinion.

1.) UC Davis

Pros

* Near full-tuition scholarship offered
* Close-ish to extended family
*Would get to buy a house with my hubby in Sac
*Seems more intimate, community-oriented
*Facilities are nice.
*Has 11 free clinics to get involved in

Cons

*Sacramento < Seattle
*Unsure of how well I can be prepared for a competitive field or residency
*Traditional curriculum. Not sure if this is necessarily a Con but I would prefer an 18-month pre-clerkship experience.
*In general, I just don't feel as excited about the school.
*Overall feels like the "safe" option

2.) UW

Pros

*Tuition waiver + 10k scholarship offered.
*Larger program. Unique decentralized clerkship experience
*Research powerhouse. Tons of funding and opportunities
*18-month pre-clerkship curriculum, which is something I really want.
*UW name carries a lot of weight. Can secure solid rotations and pursue competitive specialties with confidence.
*I have a gut-feeling that this is where I belong
*Seattle

Cons

*Would have to live away from hubby, as he cannot come with me due to his job. He doesn't want me to leave of course.
*Would still be paying nearly 25k/year for tuition + living expenses. Important because I already have UG/post-bac debt. Emailed the school to see if they might match the UCD offer but I have little hope.
*Didn't connect as much with other students during second-look.
*Felt less intimate, didn't necessarily get a sense that students build a community.

Basically, this decision is more difficult for me than I expected it to be. UC Davis was my top choice at the start of the cycle because I thought it was my best shot at getting into med school at all. I did not expect the attention that I received whatsoever. I am actually still in disbelief that I was accepted to UW. It was one of my earliest acceptances and so I have been preparing myself to head off to Seattle until just this week when I was accepted to UCD off the waitlist. And I love UW. Now, I find myself in a position where I have to make a decision that I never imagined I would have to make. Surprisingly, there are a lot of emotions here.

Thanks for any insight y'all can give me!

Members don't see this ad.

I lived away from my husband for a year and saw him about every other weekend. It was unnecessarily difficult. On the other hand I was a bit more focused at school. But the weekends I didn’t see him were incredibly depressing and convinced me not to go the military route for school. I don’t think there are enough pros to choose being away from your husband for so long. It’s a different story if it was a short period. You will do better in school if you are living together - you’ll have your support network by your side. I’d go UCD if this was my choice.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

By nature of being a UC, Davis is your best shot at a residency in California, and Sacramento/Bay Area in particular. You would have a much higher chance of being near your husband in the long run, looking beyond just medical school. I am biased because I don't want to leave California too of course :) it is the creme de la creme. Good luck in deciding, there is no wrong answer!

Reactions: 1 users
I can comment on being married and living apart as this is my current state of affairs.

Whether your relationship is on the rocks or you're attached at the hip, living apart will only, in either case, add more stress to your first year than is necessary.

They are both good schools so I would advise you to accept the option which will least disturb your life. I think no matter which one you choose at this point you will wonder "what if" so in that case I would choose the path that is more familiar. Sounds like UCD is that path. It doesn't seem like you have more to gain from UW over UCD.

I saw you withdrew from Minnesota so I wanted to see where you were going. Nosy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you all for responding thus far! I appreciate the wisdom.

I emailed UW to see if they would consider matching what UCD offered me. I figured it was a long shot but I will probably make my final decision by the end of this week for sure if not sooner.

What are your aspirations in medicine? If your goals are primary care I’d say UCD if not pershaps consider UW. Idk much about UW but I attended UCD for undergrad and have quite a few friends there who say it’s very much a school oriented at primary care. Their recent match lists:

https://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/mdpro...blic Match Results for Reg Office Website.pdf

https://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/mdpro...17/electronic_school_match_results_PUBLIC.pdf

Historical: Residency Class Match Lists - 2003 to 2015 | UC Davis School of Medicine

As you can see it’s essentially, fam med, internal med, peds, gen surg, and obgyn

UW’s match list however is more diverse in speciality:
https://www.uwmedicine.org/education/Documents/2017 Match Results.pdf